Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    12 Feb '17 00:53
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18665241/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-withdraws-nfl-trip-israel

    Excellent statement of reasons not to participate in propaganda for the apartheid state.
  2. 12 Feb '17 00:57
    Originally posted by finnegan
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18665241/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-withdraws-nfl-trip-israel

    Excellent statement of reasons not to participate in propaganda for the apartheid state.
    More sports franchises should do this as they did to South Africa during apartheid. It has always bemused me why Israeli teams play in European competitions. They are about as far removed from Europe as it gets.
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    12 Feb '17 01:37 / 1 edit
    This brings up an interesting question: should Israel be banned from the Olympics for its human rights abuses? Should the U.S. have been banned for invading Iraq? Or for continued drone strikes that kill civilians?

    I think so.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Feb '17 01:49
    Originally posted by vivify
    This brings up an interesting question: should Israel be banned from the Olympics for its human rights abuses? Should the U.S. have been banned for invading Iraq? Or for continued drone strikes that kill civilians?

    I think so.
    France, Germany and the UK should probably also be banned, along with most other countries on Earth.

    The only countries that should be allowed in the Olympics should be the ones with stellar human rights records, like China, Syria, Sudan and Saudi Arabia.
  5. 12 Feb '17 02:09 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    France, Germany and the UK should probably also be banned, along with most other countries on Earth.

    The only countries that should be allowed in the Olympics should be the ones with stellar human rights records, like China, Syria, Sudan and Saudi Arabia.
    The idea that the Olympics was to bring the world together even though it is divided by a myriad of other things, most of which is political, I think is now dead.

    I move that they disband the Olympics.

    Dig a hole and man your bunker. The era of debate and civility is over.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Feb '17 02:37
    Originally posted by finnegan
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18665241/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-withdraws-nfl-trip-israel

    Excellent statement of reasons not to participate in propaganda for the apartheid state.
    Not surprising given your obsessive hatred of Israel, but your post completely misrepresents Bennent's statement. He doesn't mention Apartheid and doesn't even take an anti-Israel tone.

    He states, in relevant part:

    “I was not aware until reading this article about the trip in the Times of Israel that my itinerary was being constructed by the Israeli government for the purposes of making me, in the words of a government official, an ‘influencer and opinion-former’ who would then be ‘an ambassador of good will.’ I will not be used in such a manner.”

    He added, “When I do go to Israel — and I do plan to go — it will be to see not only Israel but also the West Bank and Gaza so I can see how the Palestinians, who have called this land home for thousands of years, live their lives.”


    He is not boycotting anything. He still plans to go; just not on this trip. He doesn't want to be construed as taking sides in the dispute. I'm fine with his decision. Your spin on it is pure propaganda.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Feb '17 02:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    More sports franchises should do this as they did to South Africa during apartheid. It has always bemused me why Israeli teams play in European competitions. They are about as far removed from Europe as it gets.
    Culturally and in terms of system of government, Israel is much more comparable to Europe than to any other region; more so even than the United States.
  8. 12 Feb '17 03:05 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    Culturally and in terms of system of government, Israel is much more comparable to Europe than to any other region; more so even than the United States.
    I have heard this argument before and considered it a nonsense. Jamaica, New Zealand, Canada and Australia have more in common with the UK than Israel, linguistically and culturally. Why are they not sending soccer teams to play in European competitions? Lets see, because they are NOT in Europe. Is Israel in Europe, nope! Well why are they playing in our competitions? Until they stop kicking people off their land and stealing it there should be an international boycott of Israeli sports the same as there was when South Africa upheld apartheid.
  9. 12 Feb '17 04:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not surprising given your obsessive hatred of Israel, but your post completely misrepresents Bennent's statement. He doesn't mention Apartheid and doesn't even take an anti-Israel tone.

    He states, in relevant part:

    [quote]“I was not aware until reading this article about the trip in the Times of Israel that my itinerary was being constructed by the Israel ...[text shortened]... as taking sides in the dispute. I'm fine with his decision. Your spin on it is pure propaganda.
    He could have turned down the trip because he is a neo Nazi for all he knows. But it does not really matter cuz he hates Zionists so he OK in his book.
  10. 12 Feb '17 04:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I have heard this argument before and considered it a nonsense. Jamaica, New Zealand, Canada and Australia have more in common with the UK than Israel, linguistically and culturally. Why are they not sending soccer teams to play in European competitions? Lets see, because they are NOT in Europe. Is Israel in Europe, nope! Well why are they playing ...[text shortened]... nternational boycott of Israeli sports the same as there was when South Africa upheld apartheid.
    Why would a Jew ever be crazy enough to set foot in anti-Semitic Europe ever again?

    It begs the question.
  11. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    12 Feb '17 05:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Jamaica, New Zealand, Canada and Australia have more in common with the UK than Israel, linguistically and culturally. Why are they not sending soccer teams to play in European competitions? Lets see, because they are NOT in Europe. Is Israel in Europe, nope! Well why are they playing in our competitions?
    Australia has recently started competing in the Eurovision Song Contest (last 2 years at least) so the only reason we possibly don't compete in sport is the tyranny of distance.
  12. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    12 Feb '17 06:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by kmax87
    Australia has recently started competing in the Eurovision Song Contest (last 2 years at least) so the only reason we possibly don't compete in sport is the tyranny of distance.
    Gawd, tone down the theatrics, you don't have the faculty for it. International travel is one of the wonders of the modern world, it has never been cheaper, easier or so plentiful.
  13. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Feb '17 07:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    More sports franchises should do this as they did to South Africa during apartheid. It has always bemused me why Israeli teams play in European competitions. They are about as far removed from Europe as it gets.
    Actually, Australia is further away...
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Feb '17 07:29
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why would a Jew ever be crazy enough to set foot in anti-Semitic Europe ever again?

    It begs the question.
    As if most Europeans would recognise a Jew even if he was being circumsized by a rabbi!

    We Europeans now hate Muslims; stay up to date please.
  15. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    12 Feb '17 09:34
    Originally posted by sh76
    Not surprising given your obsessive hatred of Israel, but your post completely misrepresents Bennent's statement. He doesn't mention Apartheid and doesn't even take an anti-Israel tone.

    He states, in relevant part:

    [quote]“I was not aware until reading this article about the trip in the Times of Israel that my itinerary was being constructed by the Israel ...[text shortened]... as taking sides in the dispute. I'm fine with his decision. Your spin on it is pure propaganda.
    My post is correct and needs no amendment. .