Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 31 Dec '11 00:42
    Why won't he release them?

    http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Dec '11 00:48
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Why won't he release them?

    http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns
    A good guess is that it would show a very big income with a rather low rate of taxes paid.
  3. 31 Dec '11 00:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    A good guess is that it would show a very big income with a rather low rate of taxes paid.
    Is this good ammunition to tear Romney down with campaign ads?
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Dec '11 01:34
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Is this good ammunition to tear Romney down with campaign ads?
    Republicans don't think the rich should pay much, if any, in taxes (they're "job creators" after all) so it won't matter much in the race for the GOP nomination.

    If he gets their nod, however, the pressure will be on him to release the tax returns. If he doesn't, that will hurt him. If he does and it winds up he pays less of a percentage than Warren Buffett's secretary, he'll have some explaining to do. And a challenger who is explaining, is usually losing.
  5. 31 Dec '11 13:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Republicans don't think the rich should pay much, if any, in taxes (they're "job creators" after all) so it won't matter much in the race for the GOP nomination.

    If he gets their nod, however, the pressure will be on him to release the tax returns. If he doesn't, that will hurt him. If he does and it winds up he pays less of a percentage ...[text shortened]... he'll have some explaining to do. And a challenger who is explaining, is usually losing.
    Republicans care if he is paying less than they are. I think you are exaggerating a bit. Don't get too carried away with the stereotypes.
    Even republicans want tax loopholes closed if they are not able to take advantage of them. Not all republicans are rich. Many are just hard working, happy go lucky folks who go to church on Sunday to talk to their friends.

    I saw Romney on the news today and he was asked if he has anything to hide and he said no. You would think this will result in him releasing his tax records but we will see.
  6. 31 Dec '11 13:31
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Republicans care if he is paying less than they are. I think you are exaggerating a bit. Don't get too carried away with the stereotypes.
    Even republicans want tax loopholes closed if they are not able to take advantage of them. Not all republicans are rich. Many are just hard working, happy go lucky folks who go to church on Sunday to talk to their fri ...[text shortened]... he said no. You would think this will result in him releasing his tax records but we will see.
    As long as he is paying his taxes, Romney's tax return is as irrelevant as Obama's birth certificate.
  7. 31 Dec '11 14:38
    Originally posted by quackquack
    As long as he is paying his taxes, Romney's tax return is as irrelevant as Obama's birth certificate.
    Regardless, I want to see the long form tax return.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Dec '11 14:41
    Originally posted by quackquack
    As long as he is paying his taxes, Romney's tax return is as irrelevant as Obama's birth certificate.
    (Shrug) Eventually Obama for political reasons decided to release his birth certificate though he was under no legal compulsion to do so. Romney will have to do the same as regards his tax returns or face political heat.
  9. 31 Dec '11 15:04
    I was tempted to ask "where is Donald Trump when you need him", but he would probably avoid disclosing his tax forms as well.

    I think Romney is avoiding this issue because people would ask him if he has a plan for doing away with the tax loopholes he is taking advantage of. Maybe he had a lot of investments in China too. The outsourcing thing is a little taboo right now.

    Or maybe Romney is holding out so people will make a big fuss about it and show his taxes are pretty normal. You never know.
  10. 31 Dec '11 15:41
    They all have something to hide. Romney is trying to hide the fact that he makes more each year for not working than 99% of us will make our whole lives. Gingrich is hiding the fact that he has never once removed his mouth from the government teat his whole life. Paul is hiding the fact that in Congress he has never accomplished anything his whole life. Santorum is hiding the obsession he has had with gay sex his whole life.

    Examine their portfolios and you can predict their policies; examine their policies and you can predict their portfolios.
  11. 31 Dec '11 16:53
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    They all have something to hide. Romney is trying to hide the fact that he makes more each year for not working than 99% of us will make our whole lives. Gingrich is hiding the fact that he has never once removed his mouth from the government teat his whole life. Paul is hiding the fact that in Congress he has never accomplished anything his whole life. ...[text shortened]... and you can predict their policies; examine their policies and you can predict their portfolios.
    The attitude here towards personal finance is ridiculous. Anyone who wants Joe Six pack and his $25,000/ yr salary to be the leader of this country is foolish.
    It is an essential quality for the leader of this country to be able to understand finance. The ability to make money is evidence of comprehension and I would certainly prefer a leader who understood the difficulties of making money when the government over regulates and over taxes than someone who simply was unable to be successful.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Dec '11 16:56
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The attitude here towards personal finance is ridiculous. Anyone who wants Joe Six pack and his $25,000/ yr salary to be the leader of this country is foolish.
    It is an essential quality for the leader of this country to be able to understand finance. The ability to make money is evidence of comprehension and I would certainly prefer a leader who under ...[text shortened]... he government over regulates and over taxes than someone who simply was unable to be successful.
    Romney was born rich. He hasn't had an actual job for years. His "ability to make money" is based on his being part of the plutocracy he was born into. That's hardly a qualification to be anything in and of itself.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Dec '11 17:31
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The attitude here towards personal finance is ridiculous. Anyone who wants Joe Six pack and his $25,000/ yr salary to be the leader of this country is foolish.
    It is an essential quality for the leader of this country to be able to understand finance. The ability to make money is evidence of comprehension and I would certainly prefer a leader who under ...[text shortened]... he government over regulates and over taxes than someone who simply was unable to be successful.
    Herbert Hoover's ability to make money didn't seem to help his comprehension of what to do about the Great Depression:

    He [Hoover] made a fortune as a mining company executive, had a very large salary for 17 years and had extensive holdings in mining companies.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/print/2010/05/the-net-worth-of-the-us-presidents-washington-to-obama/57020/#slide30
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    31 Dec '11 19:25
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The attitude here towards personal finance is ridiculous. Anyone who wants Joe Six pack and his $25,000/ yr salary to be the leader of this country is foolish.
    It is an essential quality for the leader of this country to be able to understand finance. The ability to make money is evidence of comprehension and I would certainly prefer a leader who under ...[text shortened]... he government over regulates and over taxes than someone who simply was unable to be successful.
    I prefer someone who understands the economics of goods and services to someone who understands finance. Finance is artificial and is how the 1% maintain control of the physical economy to the detriment of the rest of us.
  15. 31 Dec '11 20:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The attitude here towards personal finance is ridiculous. Anyone who wants Joe Six pack and his $25,000/ yr salary to be the leader of this country is foolish.
    It is an essential quality for the leader of this country to be able to understand finance. The ability to make money is evidence of comprehension and I would certainly prefer a leader who under ...[text shortened]... he government over regulates and over taxes than someone who simply was unable to be successful.
    I see that you know nothing about making money. The ability to make money is primarily a function of having access to capital. Romney was born with it, Gingrich milked government connections to get it, and Perry sold out his state responsibilities. I've seen people lacking the cognitive faculties of rabbits make millions. Keep believing that these belly-crawling reptiles are 'better' than you. You may be right.