Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 05 Feb '13 05:39 / 2 edits
    Strom Thurmond's secret, mixed-race daughter dies. Go to the link to see a photo. R.I.P. Condolences to the family.

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/Strom-Thurmond-s-mixed-race-daughter-dies-at-87-4249966.php

Strom Thurmond's mixed-race daughter dies at 87

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Essie Mae Washington-Williams, the mixed-race daughter of one-time segregationist Sen. Strom Thurmond who kept her parentage secret for more than 70 years, has died. She was 87. . . . A cause of death was not given.

Washington-Williams was the daughter of Thurmond and his family's black maid. The identity of her famous father was rumored for decades . . . the white man who ran for president on a segregationist platform and served in the U.S. Senate for more than 47 years. . . .

She was born in 1925 after Thurmond, then 22, had an affair with a 16-year-old black maid who worked in his family's Edgefield, S.C., home. She spent years as a school teacher in Los Angeles . . .

While Thurmond never publicly acknowledged his daughter, his family acknowledged her claim . . .

Washington-Williams met Thurmond for the first time . . . in a law office in Thurmond's hometown of Edgefield. "He never called my mother by her name. He didn't verbally acknowledge that I was his child" . . . "He didn't ask when I was leaving and didn't invite me to come back. It was like an audience with an important man, a job interview, but not a reunion with a father," she said . . .

It was the first of many visits between Washington-Williams and her father. He supported her, paying for her to attend then-South Carolina State College at the same time Thurmond was governor. He also helped her later after she was widowed in the 1960s. "It's not that Strom Thurmond ever swore me to secrecy. He never swore me to anything," she wrote. "He trusted me, and I respected him, and we loved each other in our deeply repressed ways, and that was our social contract."

Washington-Williams watched from afar as Thurmond ran for president as a segregationist for the Dixiecrat Party in 1948, saying "all the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the army cannot force the Negro race into our theaters, our swimming pools, our schools, our churches, our homes."
  2. 05 Feb '13 19:31
    Just goes to show that double standards are still alive and well in America.

Nothing would have been done about Rodney King
    if it had not been videoed.

You say your constitution regards all as equal and yet in 1968
    which was not all that long ago, you guys rioted in the streets
    when a black man wanted to go to University.

Even today the old prejudice still lingers on.
  3. 06 Feb '13 01:16
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Strom Thurmond's secret, mixed-race daughter dies. Go to the link to see a photo. R.I.P. Condolences to the family.

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/Strom-Thurmond-s-mixed-race-daughter-dies-at-87-4249966.php

[b]Strom Thurmond's mixed-race daughter dies at 87

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Essie Mae Washington-Williams, the mixed-race daug ...[text shortened]... theaters, our swimming pools, our schools, our churches, our homes."
    [/b]
    You might be a bit more circumspect about throwing around terms like racist.
  4. 08 Feb '13 16:50
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You might be a bit more circumspect about throwing around terms like racist.
    are you trolling now? what word would you use to describe a man who ran for president from a platform of not allowing blacks to attend the same schools, hospitals, theaters as whites?

please tell me i misunderstood you. because it seems that in your views this old expired dude was not racist.
  5. 08 Feb '13 20:51
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    are you trolling now? what word would you use to describe a man who ran for president from a platform of not allowing blacks to attend the same schools, hospitals, theaters as whites?

please tell me i misunderstood you. because it seems that in your views this old expired dude was not racist.
    Strom Thurmond's views certainly changed over the time he was in US government. In the deep south most of the black men elected to Congress were Republicans, so the linking of racism to Republicans is anti historical and biased.

The KKK was formed in the south after the Civil War, and supported by the Democratic Party, until well after the 60s. Not all Democrats in the South were KKK members, but all KKK members were Democrats. Need I name the know segregationist Democrats?