Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 Feb '15 14:09
    Can the MMR vaccine cause the illness it is supposed to prevent in rare cases?
  2. 04 Feb '15 14:55
    No.
  3. 04 Feb '15 14:59
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No.
    According to this link it can cause a very mild case of the disease it was designed to prevent. Is the info on the link wrong?

http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4209.pdf?q=measles
  4. 04 Feb '15 23:06
    If you get the vaccine you don't get sick.

Get your vaccine and let other people live their lives as they see fit.
  5. 05 Feb '15 00:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If you get the vaccine you don't get sick.

Get your vaccine and let other people live their lives as they see fit.
    Would those other people you are to let live as they see fit, include your children?
  6. 05 Feb '15 00:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    Would those other people you are to let live as they see fit, include your children?
    The answer is in many cases, NO! They would insist that their view prevail and despite no danger to immunized children, they enlist the state to force immunization of the children of others.

This is also true of other areas, where people insist on their way being enforced by government at some level.
  7. 05 Feb '15 00:45
    Originally posted by JS357
    What about the children killed by vaccines? Would they be alive today if their parents did not have them vaccinated?
  8. 05 Feb '15 13:54
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The answer is in many cases, NO! They would insist that their view prevail and despite no danger to immunized children, they enlist the state to force immunization of the children of others.

This is also true of other areas, where people insist on their way being enforced by government at some level.
    I guess you missed the recent measles outbreak.
  9. 05 Feb '15 14:51
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    first
    let me just say that i don't know your stance, i don't know if you are an anti-vaxxer, i don't know how much research you made. i don't know your motives for making this thread.

this is the biggest issue concerning the anti-vaccination movement.
    you had a question about how a vaccine works. rather than going on the CDC website, or the american medical association (or whatever it's called) and documenting yourself on the topic, you came here.

let this sink in: you came on a chess website, in a forum named "Debates" to ask a bunch of strangers( who you know to constantly yell at each other for various reasons) about a medical, ABSOLUTELY NON-DEBATABLE issue.

if i would tell you right now "don't vaccinate your kid, he can totally get sick from the vaccine", would you listen to me?

that aside, there is about 1 in a million chance for a mmr vaccine recipient to get sick. so get the vaccine.
  10. 05 Feb '15 14:58
    Originally posted by Eladar
    What about the children killed by vaccines? Would they be alive today if their parents did not have them vaccinated?
    compare the number of patients killed because of complications caused by the vaccine with the number of measles patients(just to name a single disease) that developed complications and died.

add to that the number of children that couldn't be vaccinated (because of immunity problems) and then caught the disease from an unvaccinated child.

add to that the number of children who just developed complications

your tiring mantra of "government is not allowed to tell me what to do" is idiotic. if your neighbor burns tires in his backyard, the noxious fumes affect you as well. it is normal that the government intervene to stop him.
  11. 05 Feb '15 15:03
    Originally posted by normbenign

we are not talking about forcing you to listen to nickleback. we are talking about a necessary measure to control an often deadly disease.

government insists you talk to an architect before building something. is that wrong? should they not "insist that their view prevail" just so you can build a crappy bridge that would kill everyone on it when it crumbles because you are not an architect and have no idea what you are doing?
  12. 05 Feb '15 15:04
    No
  13. 05 Feb '15 15:07
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine

Not quite. It all depends on naming conventions. The virus in the MMR vaccine is similar, but less virulent than the strains being prevented. Now it is theoretically possible the vaccine virus could become more virulent, but I think we would consider that a new strain, rather than the same as the one being prevented. Whether or not we would call it the same disease, I am not sure.
    I am not aware of any documented cases of it ever happening.

The virus does however cause its own 'illness' if one can call it that in all children vaccinated even if they don't show symptoms. That is how it works.
  14. 05 Feb '15 15:09
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that aside, there is about 1 in a million chance for a mmr vaccine recipient to get sick. so get the vaccine.
    From Wikipedia:
    10% of children develop fever, malaise and a rash 5–21 days after the first vaccination;[24] 3% develop joint pain lasting 18 days on average.

So I think you need to be a bit more clear about what you mean by 'get sick'.

I do think all children should be vaccinated, as a slight fever is better than dying.
  15. 05 Feb '15 16:41
    https://medium.com/the-nib/should-you-vaccinate-your-child-7810fd781903