1. Germany
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 14:04
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Don't know anything about musicals...

However, are you suggesting the climate isn't changing?
    Are you seriously suggesting that???
    Surely talk radio hosts have good reasons to doubt man-made climate change?
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 14:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/20/curtain-reviews-come-down-on-taxpayer-funded-climate-change-musical/

Apparently the government has funded a musical about global warming that costs tax payers around $700,000. Funny thing is, it's so bad it will never see the light of day.

Why is there the need to do musicals in order to sell the notion that g ...[text shortened]... t given up on education as well?

This is just more evidence that the whole thing is pure poo.
    Whodey, let's play a game. We'll call this game the "direct, positive post" game.

The game works as follows. I will post a question. You then give your honest, well thought out answer.

If you do, you win.

You lose if your answer contains any of the following:

1. Derision
    2. Sarcasm
    3. Attacking someone else's position
    4. Blaming any government or any politician or any media outlet for anything

Sound like fun? Excellent!

Here's the question:

What, if anything, should be done by the people and governments in western democracies such as the United States and those of western Europe, to combat the release of pollution in general and carbon dioxide in particular into the atmosphere?

Have fun!
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 14:25
    Originally posted by sh76
    Whodey, let's play a game. We'll call this game the "direct, positive post" game.

The game works as follows. I will post a question. You then give your honest, well thought out answer.

If you do, you win.

You lose if your answer contains any of the following:

1. Derision
    2. Sarcasm
    3. Attacking someone else's position
    4. Blaming any government o ...[text shortened]... e of pollution in general and carbon dioxide in particular into the atmosphere?

Have fun![/b]
    Stop driving, stop flying, stop burning fossil fuels, stop passing gas.

In other words, kill yourself.

Curses! I keep violating rules and laws.

I simply can't help it. 😞
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 14:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yep, the good ol' days.

Back when factories could belch out pollution until the acid rain started eating away their cars and their workers started dying off from the cancer.

Those good ol' days?
    I though the discussion was about carbon emissions.

Is carbon dioxide a pollutant? If so, stop breathing. You're kiling the earth!! 😲
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 14:27
    Stop driving, stop flying, stop burning fossil fuels, stop passing gas.

In other words, kill yourself.

Curses! I keep violating rules and laws.

I simply can't help it. 😞
    Well, you lost the game, but I'll give you points for making me chuckle.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 15:08
    The facts should stand on their own merits, .....

This is just more evidence that the whole thing is pure poo.
    Clearly, facts alone doesn't work for some people.

So since you aren't int musicals, what would convince you?
  7. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 15:08

What, if anything, should be done by the people and governments in western democracies such as the United States and those of western Europe, to combat the release of pollution in general and carbon dioxide in particular into the atmosphere?
    Sh76, I would also like to hear your own answer to your question. You mention specifically Western Democracies, but I am sure you know that China is now responsible for fully 50% of GHG emissions?

Will Western efforts be sufficient without the cooperation of China and India?

How can we make a step-change, rather than merely Reuse, Reduce, Recycle - which is commendable but by a long shot not nearly enough to stop the increase, never mind effect a reduction.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 15:13
    Is carbon dioxide a pollutant?
    Well if you don't know the answer to that one, then I suggest you stick with musicals.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Sh76, I would also like to hear your own answer to your question. You mention specifically Western Democracies, but I am sure you know that China is now responsible for fully 50% of GHG emissions?

Will Western efforts be sufficient without the cooperation of China and India?

How can we make a step-change, rather than merely Reuse, Reduce, Recycle - wh ...[text shortened]... ndable but by a long shot not nearly enough to stop the increase, never mind effect a reduction.
    ===Will Western efforts be sufficient without the cooperation of China and India? ===

No. Cooperation of both is essential. Indonesia and Japan too.

To answer the question, I would say:

1. Invest heavily in wind and solar power; not so much in companies that currently offer it, but in research into making both more efficient

2. Increase gasoline tax to pay for # 1

3. Give tax credits and incentives for the production and purchase of electric cars

4. Invest in and support the use of nuclear energy

5. Study alternative methods to remove CO2 and methane from the air and/or means to counteract global warming if it ever really becomes a problem. Maybe we can put an enormous piece of tinfoil out over Greenland to reflect the Sun's light. I'm being facetious of course, but investing a few bucks to study methods to combat global warming if necessary is not a bad idea.
  10. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 17:531 edit
    ===Will Western efforts be sufficient without the cooperation of China and India? ===

1. Invest heavily in wind and solar power; not so much in companies that currently offer it, but in research into making both more efficient

2. Increase gasoline tax ...[text shortened]... investing a few bucks to study methods to combat global warming if necessary is not a bad idea.
    I cannot disagree with your list, maybe with the priorities.

Solar and wind cannot (yet, without storage) provide baseload electricity. So nuclear should be pushed heavily, but here we have to change public opinion.

As far as covering Greenland with tin foil is concerned, it is a far less crazy idea than pumping Sulphur mist into the ionosphere, an option that I have seen seriously mentioned.

The ultimate problem is political, not technological or scientific. Politicians think of their voters and both think of the short term, not the next 100 years.

But the critical fact is that the short term, or rather the next ten or twenty years, WILL affect the next 100 years and beyond.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 20:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Clearly, facts alone doesn't work for some people.

So since you aren't int musicals, what would convince you?
    Well let's see, I'm a Reds fan. Maybe if you get that funny looking mascott with a baseball head holding a sign that global warming is destroying the earth I might be convinced.

But not until! 😠
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 20:13

2. Increase gasoline tax ...[text shortened]... investing a few bucks to study methods to combat global warming if necessary is not a bad idea.
    Why, so rich people's children can keep their ocean front property instead of using money they have too much of to buy a home further inland?

Why not come up with a creative plan to protect poor people? Don't you care about the poor?
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 20:18
    I though the discussion was about carbon emissions.

Is carbon dioxide a pollutant? If so, stop breathing. You're kiling the earth!! 😲
    Do you think breathing is contributing to CO2?
    You really need a basic Science education.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 21:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Do you think breathing is contributing to CO2?
    You really need a basic Science education.
    Not to worry, I only exhale nitrogen. 😵
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Sep '14 23:38
    Not to worry, I only exhale nitrogen. 😵
    We'll take that as a "Don't Know"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree