Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 03 May '12 00:41
    Occupy Wall Street protesters smashed windows in Seattle, were chased through New York streets by police on scooters, and clashed repeatedly with officers in Oakland on Tuesday in May Day demonstrations intended to revive their movement against economic injustice.

In Oakland, police in riot gear fired tear gas and flash-bang grenades to disperse protesters who they said threw objects at officers and struck them with corrugated metal shields during a mid-afternoon altercation.

City officials said marchers had vandalized two banks, a police van and a news vehicle.

Lieutenant Andy Neiman, a spokesman for the Los Angeles police department, said a female police officer was struck by a skateboard during a scuffle with protesters and was taken to a local hospital, where she was listed in stable condition.

Ten people were arrested near Los Angeles International Airport after they blocked a major thoroughfare.

In Portland, at least 21 people were arrested in a several scuffles with police during a series of demonstrations.

Occupy Cleveland canceled its events “out of respect for the city” after five self-described anarchists were arrested on suspicion of plotting to blow up a four-lane highway bridge over a national park.
  2. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Fortnite Kid
    03 May '12 01:43
    After a few days in the city (Brisbane) the protestors moved their tents and things to Roma Street Parklands, just one km from the CBD. They were there for another week or so , watched by police, before the arrests started. The first one for someone playing bagpipes!! With no nearby housing , this would've been the perfect place for bagpipes.
    QLD police -living in the fifties !!
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    03 May '12 02:50
    I didn't notice anything in LA.
  4. 04 May '12 20:03
    Is there something you want to discuss?
  5. 04 May '12 20:15
    Ya. How can any one in their right mind compare this "movement" to the tea party ?!
  6. 04 May '12 20:17
    For one thing they are both movements.
  7. 04 May '12 20:26
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So is what I do every morning when I get up, but thats besides the point.

Obama and Pelosi both embrace this. The left wing radical loons on this forum embrace them as well and often times exclaim they are no different than the tea party.

The tea party is a peaceful movement and is focused. The occupy movement is anarchy. Filled with lawlessness. Unfocused and unbridled.
    Any American who embraces this crap should seriously have their head examined.
  8. 04 May '12 20:28
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    So is what I do every morning when I get up, but thats besides the point.

Obama and Pelosi both embrace this. The left wing radical loons on this forum embrace them as well and often times exclaim they are no different than the tea party.

The tea party is a peaceful movement and is focused. The occupy movement is anarchy. Filled with lawlessness ...[text shortened]... and unbridled.
    Any American who embraces this crap should seriously have their head examined.
    Obama "embraces" the Occupy movement? In what sense?
  9. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    04 May '12 20:28
    The Occupiers have a lot of "movements" right there on the sidewalk.
  10. 04 May '12 20:44 / 1 edit
    Obama "embraces" the Occupy movement? In what sense?
    Whew.
    You must be living underneath a rock or something KN.

A couple brief examples.

President Obama says they “are the reason I ran for office.”

“Patience is what I urge upon my friends in the Occupy movement,” -Obama.

“Gutting the corporate pig to feed the 99% will take time and effort. The first task in that effort has got to be my reelection. Once that is achieved we can embark upon the next steps. Certainly, having a friend in the White House has to be an asset.”-Obama

"God bless them!"-Nancy Pelosi
  11. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    04 May '12 21:00

“Gutting the corporate pig to feed the 99% will take time and effort. The first task in that effort has got to be my reelection. Once that is achieved we can embark upon the next steps. Certainly, having a friend in the White House has to be an asset.”-Obama
    Where'd you get this from? Make it up? It's not a bona fide quotation of B. Obama on the Internets, sir.
  12. 04 May '12 21:20
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Where'd you get this from? Make it up? It's not a bona fide quotation of B. Obama on the Internets, sir.
    I may have to stand down on that one. I can't find the time and place where he supposedly said this.
    Until, if, when I do I'll scratch that from the list.
    Obama and his staff have said so much about embracing these derelicts that I just went to a list of quotes attributed to him.
    But I may have been duped on that one. Thanks for pointing that out.
  13. 04 May '12 21:41
    In what sense, other than vote-courting rhetoric, has Obama "embraced" the Occupy movement? How about some specific policy proposals?
  14. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    04 May '12 21:54
    In what sense, other than vote-courting rhetoric, has Obama "embraced" the Occupy movement? How about some specific policy proposals?
    What do you want KN, an actual photo of Obama hugging an OWS protestor? His entire campaign is couched in their class warfare rhetoric. Thus he has embraced their ideology.
  15. Standard member Scheel
    <blank>
    04 May '12 22:18

The tea party is a peaceful movement and is focused. The occupy movement is anarchy. Filled with lawlessness. Unfocused and unbridled.
    Are there any Occupy supporters who committed murder for their "anarchistic cause" - or voiced threats to do so ?
    Did any Tea Baggers do that ? Aiming at political opponents ? Yes think so.

Loonies all of them.