Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 31 Jul '12 20:17
    I have often joked here about people opposed to Romney as Mormon bigots, in response to those who claim that people opposed to Obama is purely racial in nature. However, there appears to be some truth to the notion.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/148100/Hesitant-Support-Mormons-2012.aspx

Though the vast majority of Americans say they would vote for their party's nominee for president in 2012 if that person happens to be a Mormon, 22% say they would NOT, a figure largely unchanged since 1967.

By contrast, less than half as many, 10%, say they would not vote for a Hispanic, and fewer than 10% would not vote for a nominee who is Jewish, Baptist, Catholic, female, or Black.
  2. 31 Jul '12 20:22
    A relevant quote from the article:

Still, it is significant that in 1959, the year before John F. Kennedy won election as the nation's first Catholic president, 25% of Americans -- including 22% of Democrats, 33% of Republicans, and 18% of independents -- said they would not vote for a Catholic. Public opposition fell to 21% by May 1960 and to 13% by August 1961.

So if anything, Romney's presidential campaign could very likely reduce prejudice against Mormons. Having said that, if the race is very close Romney's religion may have well cost him the election.
  3. 31 Jul '12 20:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    By contrast, less than half as many, 10%, say they would not vote for a Hispanic, and fewer than 10% would not vote for a nominee who is Jewish, Baptist, Catholic, female, or Black.
    .. and 49% wouldn't vote for an atheist.

I wonder what the number is for muslim?

The US has always had its prejudices.
  4. 31 Jul '12 20:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    A relevant quote from the article:

[quote]Still, it is significant that in 1959, the year before John F. Kennedy won election as the nation's first Catholic president, 25% of Americans -- including 22% of Democrats, 33% of Republicans, and 18% of independents -- said they would not vote for a Catholic. Public opposition fell to 21% by May 1960 and to g said that, if the race is very close Romney's religion may have well cost him the election.
    I think it was Paul Johnson who argued that Kennedy's Catholicism probably won him the 1960 election, because anti-Catholic bigotry among Protestant voters was outweighed by fellow feeling among Catholic voters.
  5. 31 Jul '12 20:36
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I think it was Paul Johnson who argued that Kennedy's Catholicism probably won him the 1960 election, because anti-Catholic bigotry among Protestant voters was outweighed by fellow feeling among Catholic voters.
    This might not be such an advantage for Romney, since the heavily Mormon states are Republican-leaning anyway, correct?
  6. 31 Jul '12 21:12
    Is it Catholic bigotry to vote for a Catholic just becaue he's a Catholic?
  7. 31 Jul '12 23:17
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    .. and 49% wouldn't vote for an atheist.

Which explains why all presidential candidates claim to be religious.

What is interesting, however, is that people will vote for atheists for other positions. It is almost like saying that the President really runs things. Then again, he kinda does. Sad but true.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Jul '12 23:41
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Is it Catholic bigotry to vote for a Catholic just becaue he's a Catholic?
    Do you think anybody votes for anybody "just because" of such a factor?
  9. 01 Aug '12 01:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yes, I've met them.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    01 Aug '12 02:10
    Yes, I've met them.
    I don't believe you.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    01 Aug '12 02:16
    Isn't Obama a Protestant?
  12. 01 Aug '12 02:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I was responding to Tien's post. In it he said that the pro-Catholic, Catholic vote made up for the anti-Catholic protestant vote.

Yes, I believe people voted for him 'just because' he was Catholic.

Just as my father votes for people just because they are Democrats. Blacks vote for Obama just because he's black. I believe the term is 'because he looks like me'.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    01 Aug '12 02:47
    I was responding to Tien's post. In it he said that the pro-Catholic, Catholic vote made up for the anti-Catholic protestant vote.

Just as my father votes for people just because they are Democrats. Blacks vote for Obama just because he's black. I believe the term is 'because he looks like me'.
    Democrats look like your Dad and Republicans don't? What do you mean by that?
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    01 Aug '12 13:49

That's a lot of crap. It's been shown in election after election that "just being Black" doesn't get you a majority of Black votes. Do you seriously think Herman Cain would get more Black votes than Hillary Clinton in a one-on-one matchup?
  15. 01 Aug '12 14:11

What is interesting, however, is that people will vote for atheists for other positions. It is almost like saying that the President really runs things. Then again, he kinda does. Sad but true.
    Huh? Are you suggesting that it isn't prejudicial that people wouldn't vote for an atheist as a president?