Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 31 May '15 22:00 / 1 edit
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/31/hillary-clinton-the-most-admired-woman-in-the-world/

    According to the Washington Post, the most admired man in the world is President Obama coming in at 30%, and the most admired woman is Hillary coming in at 21%

    Is this an indication of American exceptionalism?

    So what are the odds? Not only are they both Americans, they are both President and President to be.
  2. 31 May '15 22:33 / 1 edit
    So what gives?

    Either the polls were messed with, or it is an indication of how the world press has highlighted both Obama and Hillary, or Obama and Hillary are really the most admirable people on the face of the planet.
  3. 31 May '15 22:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/31/hillary-clinton-the-most-admired-woman-in-the-world/

    According to the Washington Post, the most admired man in the world is President Obama coming in at 30%, and the most admired woman is Hillary coming in at 21%

    Is this an indication of American exceptionalism?

    So what are the odds? Not only are they both Americans, they are both President and President to be.
    From the gallup site referenced in the post article:

    "Americans [Ahem -- Americans] again this year name Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama as the Most Admired Woman and Most Admired Man living in any part of the world."

    Neither the Post article nor your post make it perfectly clear that the polled were Americans.
  4. 31 May '15 22:36
    Originally posted by JS357 to Whodey
    From the gallup site referenced in the post article:

    "Americans [Ahem -- Americans] again this year name Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama as the Most Admired Woman and Most Admired Man living in any part of the world."

    Neither the Post article nor your post make it perfectly clear that the polled were Americans.
    "...nor your post make it perfectly clearly that the polled were Americans."
    --JS357 (to Whodey)

    Don't Americans always represent all people in the world?
    At least that's how many ethnocentric American writers here like to act.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    01 Jun '15 01:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/31/hillary-clinton-the-most-admired-woman-in-the-world/

    According to the Washington Post, the most admired man in the world is President Obama coming in at 30%, and the most admired woman is Hillary coming in at 21%

    Is this an indication of American exceptionalism?

    So what are the odds? Not only are they both Americans, they are both President and President to be.
    Perhaps it's an indication that despite all the mudslinging, the GOP as a whole remains in 2nd place.
  6. 01 Jun '15 01:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/31/hillary-clinton-the-most-admired-woman-in-the-world/

    According to the Washington Post, the most admired man in the world is President Obama coming in at 30%, and the most admired woman is Hillary coming in at 21%

    Is this an indication of American exceptionalism?

    .
    It's an indication of the stupid People Magazine mentality of the population.
  7. 01 Jun '15 05:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    So what gives?

    Either the polls were messed with, or it is an indication of how the world press has highlighted both Obama and Hillary, or Obama and Hillary are really the most admirable people on the face of the planet.
    Either the polls were messed with, or you didn't read who was being asked.
  8. 01 Jun '15 11:01
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Either the polls were messed with, or you didn't read who was being asked.
    But the headline read, "Most admired in the world".

    More misleading words for the masses to lap up.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    01 Jun '15 11:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    But the headline read, "Most admired in the world".

    More misleading words for the masses to lap up.
    That's nothing new. Ever notice that People Magazine's "Most beautiful Woman in the World" or "Sexiest Man Alive" is always an American? Why do you think that is?

    And let's not forget how Americans call U.S. baseball playoffs the "World Series" or how any American championship team are "World Champions".

    You should've known better.
  10. 01 Jun '15 13:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    But the headline read, "Most admired in the world".

    More misleading words for the masses to lap up.
    So you are part of "the masses", then?
  11. 01 Jun '15 14:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    That's nothing new. Ever notice that People Magazine's "Most beautiful Woman in the World" or "Sexiest Man Alive" is always an American? Why do you think that is?

    And let's not forget how Americans call U.S. baseball playoffs the "World Series" or how any American championship team are "World Champions".

    You should've known better.
    American Progs think they should run the world, hence having troops in over 70 countrie around the world.

    This sort of meddling extends to its citizens as well, it's a sickness.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 Jun '15 14:39 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    That's nothing new. Ever notice that People Magazine's "Most beautiful Woman in the World" or "Sexiest Man Alive" is always an American? Why do you think that is?

    And let's not forget how Americans call U.S. baseball playoffs the "World Series" or how any American championship team are "World Champions".

    You should've known better.
    The World series was named long before any other country had a serious baseball league. At that time, it was clearly an appropriate title. Now, MLB understandably doesn't want to change it, as it's a good marketing name. You're really reading too much into this.

    As for the 3 other major sports (NBA, NHL and NFL), no other country has a league that could seriously claim to be on the same level as the North American league (with the possible exception of the NHL, whose champion is referred to as the Stanley Cup Champion, not World Champion).
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    01 Jun '15 15:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    The World series was named long before any other country had a serious baseball league. At that time, it was clearly an appropriate title. Now, MLB understandably doesn't want to change it, as it's a good marketing name. You're really reading too much into this.

    As for the 3 other major sports (NBA, NHL and NFL), no other country has a league that could seri ...[text shortened]... tion of the NHL, whose champion is referred to as the Stanley Cup Champion, not World Champion).
    The term 'world series' is simply incorrect if no other nation is involved. If only one nation in the world has some kind of military, is it a 'world war' if it has a civil war?

    Also, the U.S. Olympic hockey team lost last year to Finland, 5-0. A few years back ( in think 2004), the U.S. Olympic basketball team finished in third place. We can't assume that we'll always be the best.
  14. 02 Jun '15 02:13
    Originally posted by vivify to Whodey
    That's nothing new. Ever notice that People Magazine's "Most beautiful Woman in the World" or "Sexiest Man Alive" is always an American? Why do you think that is?

    And let's not forget how Americans call U.S. baseball playoffs the "World Series" or how any American championship team are "World Champions".

    You should've known better.
    Don't People magazine's choices of 'the most beautiful people *in the world*' reflect the
    demographics of the USA? (Mostly whites, many blacks, many Latinos, a token Asian or two.)
  15. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    02 Jun '15 03:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    So what gives?

    Either the polls were messed with, or it is an indication of how the world press has highlighted both Obama and Hillary, or Obama and Hillary are really the most admirable people on the face of the planet.
    It was probably taken with a majority of liberals.