Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 11 Jan '13 23:37
    Which is the most civilised country in the world, and why?

    (Obviously, you get to define "civilised" as you see fit)!
  2. 12 Jan '13 00:24
    There are none.....all are barbaric and filled with human flotsam.
  3. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Jan '13 00:34
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Which is the most civilised country in the world, and why?

    (Obviously, you get to define "civilised" as you see fit)!
    Denmark.

    Gini coefficient of 24.7
  4. 12 Jan '13 00:46 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Bluntwrap
    There are none.....all are barbaric and filled with human flotsam.
    Reminds me of Gandhi's comment when ask what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea."

    What would be your idea of a "non-barbaric" country?
  5. 12 Jan '13 01:20
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Which is the most civilised country in the world, and why?

    (Obviously, you get to define "civilised" as you see fit)!
    I am limiting it to ex-US places where I have spent more than a week. That means the candidates are Italy, France, Spain, England, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, New Zealand and Texas.

    Civilized: a stage of social, cultural, and moral development considered to be more advanced.

    My wife's vote: France, due to a long rich cultural history our good treatment when we go there.

    My vote: I will go with New Zealand. What they lack in internal cultural development, being a young country, they make up for with their civility and also they don't smoke as much as the French. Someone might mention their treatment of the Maori, but I'd say their recent treatment compares well with other countries' treatment of aboriginals and ethnic minorities.
  6. 12 Jan '13 01:33
    Originally posted by Teinosuke to Bluntwrap
    Reminds me of Gandhi's comment when ask what he thought of Western
    civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea."

    What would be your idea of a "non-barbaric" country?
    "Repression, Sir, is a habit that grows. I am told it is like making love--it is
    always easier second time! The first time there may be pangs of conscience,
    a sense of guilt. But once embarked on this course with constant repetition
    you get more and more brazen in the attack."
    --Lee Kuan Yew (1956)

    He had to be told this?

    "We have to lock up people, without trial...If you don't do that,
    the country would be in ruins."
    --Lee Kuan Yew (1986)

    Evidently, the habit grew.

    "Please remember we do not pretend to be virtuous.
    Hypocrisy is not a feature of Singapore's leadership."
    --Lee Kuan Yew (1971)

    Wouldn't it be more fun to close one's eyes and pretend?
  7. 12 Jan '13 02:56
    Originally posted by JS357
    I am limiting it to ex-US places where I have spent more than a week. That means the candidates are Italy, France, Spain, England, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, New Zealand and Texas.

    Civilized: a stage of social, cultural, and moral development considered to be more advanced.

    My wife's vote: France, due to a long rich cultural history our good treatmen ...[text shortened]... reatment compares well with other countries' treatment of aboriginals and ethnic minorities.
    I am very disappointed in you.

    You never mentioned Ireland. One of the most civilised countries in the world.
    The Land of Saints and Scholars. The Green Land of 100,000 welcomes.

    We don't have soccer hooligans like England.
    We are not the home of the Mafia...Italy.
    We were never fascist ......Italy Spain.
    We don't have a city that is ranked the most dangerous in the world.....Mexico.
    We don't have a death penalty.........................Texas.
    We don't ill treat minorities........Australia New Zealand America.
    We don't riot in the streets overturn cars and burn them.......France.


    Canada? Canada I like........
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Jan '13 03:08
    South Korea.
  9. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Jan '13 03:10
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I am very disappointed in you.

    You never mentioned Ireland. One of the most civilised countries in the world.
    The Land of Saints and Scholars. The Green Land of 100,000 welcomes.

    We don't have soccer hooligans like England.
    We are not the home of the Mafia...Italy.
    We were never fascist ......Italy Spain.
    We don't have a city that is rank ...[text shortened]... e streets overturn cars and burn them.......France.


    Canada? Canada I like........
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h4nkxyqtFOlzQ6pHi1tNn87-oyVg?docId=CNG.10816aef82f75881645dffe3baa5c4f4.811

    Bus torched in fresh N. Ireland riots

    By Robin Millard (AFP) – 25 minutes ago
  10. 12 Jan '13 04:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    I am very disappointed in you.

    You never mentioned Ireland. One of the most civilised countries in the world.
    The Land of Saints and Scholars. The Green Land of 100,000 welcomes.

    We don't have soccer hooligans like England.
    We are not the home of the Mafia...Italy.
    We were never fascist ......Italy Spain.
    We don't have a city that is rank e streets overturn cars and burn them.......France.


    Canada? Canada I like........
    I loved Ireland but was only there for 4 days so didn't mention it. A job assignment. Stayed in an old, old hotel in Ennis, right by the church; bought carved glass candlesticks in Galway, had mussels and too much ale with Irish pals, stood on the Cliffs of Moher well away from the edge.

    Tell me if I'm wrong: The reason you don't have bad memories of mistreating minorities or aborigines, is that you ARE the aborigines of Ireland. Were there older aborigines still around? Or were they cro-magnons who were eliminated prehistorically. I know about gypsies, having been in Romania, but they are relative newcomers to Ireland, right?

    Nobody is innocent unless you are descended from the first upon the scene, which is rare.

    PS I could get behind Canada.
  11. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    12 Jan '13 04:49
    Originally posted by JS357
    I am limiting it to ex-US places where I have spent more than a week. That means the candidates are Italy, France, Spain, England, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Canada, New Zealand and Texas.

    Civilized: a stage of social, cultural, and moral development considered to be more advanced.

    My wife's vote: France, due to a long rich cultural history our good treatmen ...[text shortened]... reatment compares well with other countries' treatment of aboriginals and ethnic minorities.
    I enjoy France a great deal. Their love of knowledge pervades their society, and Parisians in particular are wonderful people. Belgium is very nice. Austria, for me, has the most to offer in terms of high culture.
  12. 12 Jan '13 07:27
    The Arapahoe Nation.
  13. 12 Jan '13 09:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    South Korea.
    On what grounds?
  14. 12 Jan '13 09:55
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I enjoy France a great deal. Their love of knowledge pervades their society, and Parisians in particular are wonderful people. Belgium is very nice. Austria, for me, has the most to offer in terms of high culture.
    You've obviously never been to Paris.

    I would probably go for some Scandinavian country, not sure which one.
  15. 12 Jan '13 11:38
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You've obviously never been to Paris.

    I would probably go for some Scandinavian country, not sure which one.
    Sweden for me, I think - in terms of basically pursuing civilised policies and sustaining a basically humane culture.

    Although, from the point of view of being able to walk down a street in the centre of a big city at two o'clock in the morning feeling perfectly safe, I'd have to say that Japan is pretty remarkable.