Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member vivify
    rain
    13 Dec '16 22:01
    Conservatives complain that most news outlets (or the media in general) has left-wing bias. This ultimately leads conservatives to use sources have clear unabashed conservative slants.

So...

What news source would both conservatives and liberals agree on as the best, most unbiased news source? Thoughts?
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    13 Dec '16 22:21
    Originally posted by vivify
    Conservatives complain that most news outlets (or the media in general) has left-wing bias. This ultimately leads conservatives to use sources have clear unabashed conservative slants.

So...

What news source would both conservatives and liberals agree on as the best, most unbiased news source? Thoughts?
    I like Reuters.
  3. 13 Dec '16 22:24

So...

I don't think any news source is unbiased. The secret is not to just believe blindly everything you read. Some conservative Christians has a strong 'authority' mindset where they pick and authority and follow it blindly and think everyone else does too.

Most news is not so much biased left or right, but biased towards selling news. This is a very serious problem that most people simply don't realise. 90% or more of what you probably call 'news' is actually not really news that is genuinely relevant to you.

Further very strong bias exists in language / cultural groupings in that we get very little news from areas that either speak a different language or have a significantly different culture. Its notable that on this site, although the posters come from many parts of the world, the main politics that gets discussed is US or UL politics.
  4. 13 Dec '16 22:28
    Conservatives complain that most news outlets (or the media in general) has left-wing bias.
    Conservatives are, of course correct. Although journalists are often not all that bright, it does take some intelligence to write news articles.
    For essentially the same reason most news sources have wealth bias ie they writers are not living in poverty and do not see the world from that perspective.
  5. 13 Dec '16 22:39

So...

The famous USC study rated NPR the most accurate. However, the bias isn't necessarily in the accuracy, but in the coverage choices - what you prioritize as stories.
  6. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    14 Dec '16 00:08

So...

There is no such thing...But I like Conservative because they do not suppress news like many of the left leaning.
    But this becomes a conundrum, when there is no real journalism anymore. The free press was supposed to keep checks and balances by being the watchdog of government for the common man.
    Now, they are just tools of political parties.
    I like ...
    The Daily Signal by the Heritage Foundation team
    http://dailysignal.com/
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    14 Dec '16 01:34

So...

I don't worry about bias so much as accuracy. Do they tell it as it is or how they'd like it to be?

The Wall Street Journal, for example, has a conservative lean, but few can question its integrity as a news source. Converse for the Washington Post.

On TV also, Anderson Cooper and Chris Wallace seem very trustworthy. Chris Matthews is biased but is not afraid to call it exactly as he sees it; same basically for Bill O'Reilly. Some people, like Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity spin or misrepresent something in virtually every sentence.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Dec '16 01:48
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't worry about bias so much as accuracy. Do they tell it as it is or how they'd like it to be?

The Wall Street Journal, for example, has a conservative lean, but few can question its integrity as a news source. Converse for the Washington Post.

On TV also, Anderson Cooper and Chris Wallace seem very trustworthy. Chris Matthews is biased but is not af ...[text shortened]... like Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity spin or misrepresent something in virtually every sentence.
    If you stay away from the editorials and the Opinion pages, the Journal is fine.
  9. 14 Dec '16 02:18

So...

All news sources are biased. Choose your poison.

Next question.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Dec '16 02:33
    Originally posted by whodey

Next question.
    Sorry but sources like Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post etc. are light years away from the crap you rely on.
  11. 14 Dec '16 05:01
    Originally posted by whodey

Next question.
    +1000
  12. Standard member shavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    14 Dec '16 05:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Sorry but sources like Reuters, the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post etc. are light years away from the crap you rely on.
    Correct.

The best way to get news is to fact-check or at least see what various news outlets / sources are saying.

I find this whole left-wing biased malarkey... well, malarkey.
    I think one of the problems the right-wing in the US has is that it's so right-wing it's off the charts: i.e. everything is biased against them (because there is no God, global warming does exist and the Earth isn't flat).

So the news they get from regular sources isn't so much biased, but, per definition, untrue (as they feel it).
  13. 14 Dec '16 05:09
    Originally posted by sh76

On TV also, Anderson Cooper and Chris Wallace seem very trustworthy. Chris Matthews is biased but is not af ...[text shortened]... like Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity spin or misrepresent something in virtually every sentence.
    Thom Hartman is biased, but not hyperbolic. I think his equivalent on the right is Michael Medved.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    14 Dec '16 16:15 / 1 edit
    So we have Reuters and NPR. Does this mean both sides (namely, conservatives) won't bitch about those sources if it contains info they don't like?
  15. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    14 Dec '16 16:32

So...

C-SPAN, like duh.