Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 17:15
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/irving-mayor-defends-school-and-cops_55f9dbc0e4b08820d917310e

don't mess with texas
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 19:25
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/irving-mayor-defends-school-and-cops_55f9dbc0e4b08820d917310e

don't mess with texas
    Depressing indicator of American hysteria.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 22:182 edits

don't mess with texas
    A three day suspension for bringing a homemade clock to school?? Back in my day this kid would have gotten extra credit for making the effort to build it. No wonder Texas has one of the lowest education standards in the nation. It's a state run by morons. 😞
  4. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 22:23
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Depressing indicator of American hysteria.
    Well said!
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 22:532 edits
    If a Muslim teen brings clock that looks like a bomb to school leftists get upset.

If a 5 year old gets suspended for bringing a toy gun made of legos to school, the leftists would think that there is nothing wrong with that.

The kid made a clock that look like a bomb to get attention (not that he is going to admit it) then he gets the attention he wants. The school and police bit and leftists act like something major has happened. Are leftists really that stupid or are they just grasping for straws?
  6. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 22:56
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If a Muslim teen brings clock that looks like a bomb to school leftists get upset.

If a 5 year old gets suspended for bringing a toy gun made of legos to school, the leftists would think that there is nothing wrong with that.
    Better safe than sorry.
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 23:13
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Better safe than sorry.
    Probably should have just shot him to be really "safe".
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 23:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Probably should have just shot him to be really "safe".
    As I understand it the home made clock was large enough to contain explosives. Why not just stop and examine it, and if it's safe permit the kid to go on?

With all the other stuff stopping kids in school, this one seems fairly benign. HS girls are stopped for having MIdol tablets.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 23:26
    As I understand it the home made clock was large enough to contain explosives. Why not just stop and examine it, and if it's safe permit the kid to go on?

With all the other stuff stopping kids in school, this one seems fairly benign. HS girls are stopped for having MIdol tablets.
    You can find a picture of the clock in the article. It isn't the picture at the top of the article.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dallas-county/headlines/20150915-irving-ninth-grader-arrested-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 23:29

did you read the article? did you get the part where they did inspect the clock. then sent the kid to a detention center. then got his mugshot and fingerprints like you would a criminal. then they released him. then he got suspended from school even though all charges against him were dropped.

pretty tame, huh?
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 23:32

I don't know. I know he was arrested and handcuffed though charges were later dropped. I know regardless of the fact that the device was shown to be a home made clock, he was suspended from school for 3 days.

It's possible ridiculous "zero tolerance" policies may have factored in.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '15 23:33
    did you read the article? did you get the part where they did inspect the clock. then sent the kid to a detention center. then got his mugshot and fingerprints like you would a criminal. then they released him. then he got suspended from school even though all charges against him were dropped.

pretty tame, huh?
    If a kid brought something that looked very much like a gun to school the same thing might happen.

If you bring objects to schools that look like guns or bombs the kid is going to get suspended at the very least.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 07:35
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If a kid brought something that looked very much like a gun to school the same thing might happen.

If you bring objects to schools that look like guns or bombs the kid is going to get suspended at the very least.
    the kid brought something that looks like a clock. then showed it to his teachers. then got arrested on suspicion because some of them can't tell the freakin difference and assumed bomb. because in the year 2015 lots of people still make ticking bombs, like in looney tunes. then, when it was proven it wasn't a bomb, he was suspended anyway

but no, you are right, we should totally suspend children from school for bringing in objects that look like illegal objects but are nowhere near.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 09:35
    It's interesting that some of the usual suspects on this forum spend so much of their time complaining about supposed government "tyranny" but are totally fine with a teenager being arrested for carrying a clock.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '15 11:10
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's interesting that some of the usual suspects on this forum spend so much of their time complaining about supposed government "tyranny" but are totally fine with a teenager being arrested for carrying a clock.
    It's clear the terrorists have already won, achieved their goals of casting fear in the entire civilized world.

When I was a kid I got a BB gun for my birthday once, and I clearly don't remember getting arrested or shooting anyone for walking around with it.

In fact, one time, about the age of 18 or so, went to San Diego (We lived in a town called Escondido ATT, about 30 mile north of San Diego) anyway I saw this Crossman CO2 pellet gun which I bought. So as I was totally stupid at that age, I am actually running with said pellet gun in hand. I was a natural runner at that age and wasn't thinking at all of the consequences. So a few minutes later, about 4 plainclothes cars pull up beside me, about 8 dudes jump out and surround me, put the gun down, etc.
    But I had the receipt, the box, and there were no pellets or CO2 carts in the gun and I am going 'What?'. So they all got in their vehicles and drove off, except on cop who said where do you live? Escondido. So he says, ok, hop in, I'll drive you home. Which he did.
    Kind of different now ,eh.