Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 23:543 edits
    Why are many liberals in the U.S. so much harder on Christianity than Islam?

It is true that atrocities committed in the name of Islam seem to far outweigh those committed by Christians. It is true that women in Muslim nations can be far more oppressed compared to predominately Christian ones. It is true that there are far too many Muslims ready to kill for their religion, compared to Christians.

So what gives? Why is it when Christians bomb abortion clinics, we never hear liberals say "Not all Christians are like that". Instead, they place blame on their beliefs.

Here's why.

When conservatives point out all the evils done by Muslims, many of them hear something different. Ever since 9/11, when conservatives say attack Muslims, they hear xenophobia. Racism. When conservatives say "war on terror" liberals hear "bomb those dirty brown people". Just like when conservatives say "protect our borders", liberals hear "keep them Mexicans away", or when when conservatives say "voter ID", liberals hear "keep blacks from the polls" or when conservatives say "traditional marriage" it means "eww, gays".

Let's be honest; the bigotry in the GOP has steadily become less hidden and more blatant. When I mentioned voter ID laws, the "war on terror" and "traditional" marriage, was that unfair of me? Well, consider who Republicans are voting for: A man who called Mexican immigrants "rapists", wants to ban Muslims, and said he'll pay for the legal fees of supporters who roughed up those protesting against him...with a number of victims being physically attacked being black. This doesn't surprise liberals: this is what they've been seeing all along.

Many liberals are against religion, period, not just Christianity. The issue is that attacks on Muslims from conservatives seem to be more about "us" vs. "them" rather than wrong vs. right. That a man can still kill in Republican primaries even after refusing to denounce a high-ranking KKK member only adds to this.

Meanwhile, attacks on the Christian faith are not a matter racism, xenophobia, etc. Most Americans are white, and most Christians are white. The issues American liberals have with Christianity come from honest disagreements about the morality and evidence for the faith. Furthermore, it's a safe bet that most of the Christians that held up signs saying "God hates f#gs" during protests were also conservatives. Such actions, are why many liberals hear something far more sinister when conservatives complain about Muslims.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 00:18
    "It is true that atrocities committed in the name of Islam seem to far outweigh those committed by Christians. It is true that women in Muslim nations can be far more oppressed compared to predominately Christian ones. It is true that there are far too many Muslims ready to kill for their religion, compared to Christians."

You should have just stopped there.
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 00:21
    Because "liberal" and "conservative" in this context imply that you are speaking about Americans. In America, Christianity is the dominant religious presence, bearing down on all aspects of our daily life, because most Americans are Christian.

Muslims are not nearly as influential in the USA, where the "liberals" and "conservatives" you refer to live.

Tom Richey talks about the difference in the meaning of these terms in the USA vs other places.

YouTube
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 00:292 edits
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    "It is true that atrocities committed in the name of Islam seem to far outweigh those committed by Christians. It is true that women in Muslim nations can be far more oppressed compared to predominately Christian ones. It is true that there are far too many Muslims ready to kill for their religion, compared to Christians."

You should have just stopped there.
    If not for the bombed abortion clinics, rampant homophobia, the never ending fight against science and intelligence, they hypocrisy of hating a religion's violence given Christianity's long history of widespread torture and murder, the fact that children have died because of their Christian parents' whose faith wouldn't let them medicine, the endless list of Christian televangelist and preachers who are nothing but voracious thieves fleecing people of their money, maybe I would have.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 00:371 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    If not for the bombed abortion clinics, rampant homophobia, the never ending fight against science and intelligence, they hypocrisy of hating a religion's violence given Christianity's long history of widespread torture and murder, the fact that children have died because of their Christian parents' whose faith wouldn't let them medicine, the endless list of ...[text shortened]... achers who are nothing but voracious thieves fleecing people of their money, maybe I would have.
    "If not for the bombed abortion clinics, rampant homophobia, the never ending fight against science and intelligence"

Talk about hyperbole.
    Plus what about muslim homophobia and anti-science/intelligence, etc.
    Sheesh
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:01
    "If not for the bombed abortion clinics, rampant homophobia, the never ending fight against science and intelligence"

Talk about hyperbole.
    Sheesh
    I wish it was hyperbole. Unfortunately, they're merely facts.

"...what about muslim..."

This is like Bill Cosby saying "what about Chris Brown? It's not like they felt pain".
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:05

Talk about hyperbole.
    Sheesh
    P.S.: You're openly racist and proud of it. What right do you have to talk?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:11
    P.S.: You're openly racist and proud of it. What right do you have to talk?
    you are openly hate everything western/christian/white european culture like it's super evil and everybody else is happy care bear land all sugar and spice so fluck off with that noise ya doosh
    Where the fluck do YOU like to live anyway?
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:20
    you are openly hate everything western/christian/white european culture like it's super evil and everybody else is happy care bear land all sugar and spice so fluck off with that noise ya doosh
    Where the fluck do YOU like to live anyway?
    My good man, I can easily post a slew of racists Fishhead posts; you can't with me. So while it probably made you feel a whole lot better to vomit up that falsehood, it only comes across as anger tears.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 02:09
    My good man, I can easily post a slew of racists Fishhead posts; you can't with me. So while it probably made you feel a whole lot better to vomit up that falsehood, it only comes across as anger tears.
    OK so tell me why you live in America if everything about it is so awful?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 02:29
    http://news.yahoo.com/christian-convert-hacked-death-bangladesh-085410035.html

Meanwhile in Bangladesh a man who converted to Christianity from Islam was hacked to death.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 02:34
    Never said it was.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 07:53
    Mirror, mirror
    On the wall.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 08:04
    A man who called Mexican immigrants "rapists".
    This is absolutely untrue vivify, I duked it out with twhitehead and kmax over numerous posts in a thread initiated by kmax.

I debated (and kicked ass) not in support of Trump but rather that he thrives on this type of controversy, repeating these untruths does a great deal of harm to legitimate anti-trump argument as it does to your anti-trump spiel here in the OP.
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 08:511 edit
    Why are many liberals in the U.S. so much harder on Christianity than Islam?

It is true that atrocities committed in the name of Islam seem to far outweigh those committed by Christians. It is true that women in Muslim nations can be far more oppressed compared to predominately Christian ones. It is true that there are far too many Muslims ready to ki ...[text shortened]... re why many liberals hear something far more sinister when conservatives complain about Muslims.
    Where's the Terrorist violence against the West coming from?
    Perhaps if the West wasn't constantly trying to shape the East to its own agenda, we would be left alone?

Considering the West should be considered secular capitalist and the 'terrorists' are a divers mob of aims, goals and beliefs (many Muslims don't consider their actions in line with the Koran and the Hadiths), I reckon the title of the post is wrong.

If you compare casualties, I'm sure you're gonna find the West has killed many more of them than they have of us.
    From destroying the democracy in Iran to supporting Saddam in the 80's, from the division the Ottoman Empire to the sanctions on Iraq in the 90's, from covert operations since the 1940's to 3 major wars since 1990...

If you take it all into account, it's quite obvious why the liberal minded are careful at pointing the finger of blame at Muslims.

Don't you agree?