Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Dec '13 17:31
    My retirement is still a few decades off, but it seems like an economy is being built on two premises.

1. If you have no money, everything will be provide for you for free. (e.g. Health Care, ObamaPhone, Food Stamps, etc).
    2. If you have extra money, you not only pay full price, but you pay for "poor" people also, and pay lots more taxes too.

I would love to be able to travel when I'm old, but that is expensive and I may be too frail by then anyway. So my plan is to just go with the flow. Spend my money now, travel, see the world. When I get old, I'll have no money. All necessities will be taken care of by the government.

And if there is something important that is not free now (e.g. Internet access, transporation), just wait to see what the democrats do in the next 20 years. If I don't have expensive taste, I'm sure the democrats will take care of everything.

Heck, I can probably get a reverse mortgage on my house, have the government support me from age 67 to perhaps 87, and when I die, not have a penny for the government to take.
  2. 18 Dec '13 17:41
    Originally posted by techsouth
    My retirement is still a few decades off, but it seems like an economy is being built on two premises.

1. If you have no money, everything will be provide for you for free. (e.g. Health Care, ObamaPhone, Food Stamps, etc).
    2. If you have extra money, you not only pay full price, but you pay for "poor" people also, and pay lots more taxes too.

I woul ...[text shortened]... pport me from age 67 to perhaps 87, and when I die, not have a penny for the government to take.
    Sounds good to me.
  3. 18 Dec '13 18:03
    Why aren't you travelling now?
  4. 18 Dec '13 18:12 / 1 edit

I woul ...[text shortened]... pport me from age 67 to perhaps 87, and when I die, not have a penny for the government to take.
    So if the government owes you a living it really does not matter what you do, does it?

Why not go to Vegas and spend all your money on hookers and gamble the rest away?

After all, people like me owe you a living.
  5. 18 Dec '13 18:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    So if the government owes you a living it really does not matter what you do, does it?

Why not go to Vegas and spend all your money on hookers and gamble the rest away?

Ah yes the grasshopper and the ant eh?
  6. 18 Dec '13 19:20
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Why aren't you travelling now?
    I was just on expedia a few minutes ago looking into a trip to Hawaii.

Of course I'll have to cut into my retirement account to pay for it. But that's not so bad. If I have any money when I retire, the government might not give me as much free stuff.
  7. 18 Dec '13 19:22 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    Ah yes the grasshopper and the ant eh?
    You mean this... http://godfatherpolitics.com/2144/the-new-ant-and-the-grasshopper/

Be sure to read the "modern version".
  8. 18 Dec '13 19:25 / 1 edit
    I was just on expedia a few minutes ago looking into a trip to Hawaii.

Of course I'll have to cut into my retirement account to pay for it. But that's not so bad. If I have any money when I retire, the government might not give me as much free stuff.
    Good luck with that. Pay no attention to the poor slobs in Greece who are now getting their benefits reduced once they had become completely dependent upon them.
  9. 18 Dec '13 19:27
    You mean this... http://godfatherpolitics.com/2144/the-new-ant-and-the-grasshopper/

Be sure to read the "modern version".
    Wisdom is for right winged extremists. We all know that the government will take care of everything.
  10. 18 Dec '13 19:34

Hookers and gambling are not for me, but point well taken.

Consider ObamaCare. If you have money, you pay at least 3 times what a free market rate would be for a product. But if you have no money, you get it for free.

Why would anyone want to expend themselves producing goods and services to earn money?

And the trend is accelerating. Just think how foolish you're going to feel in 20 years having denied yourself pleasure now just to turn over your wealth so the government can give it to someone who indulged in all pleasures for 20 years.
  11. 18 Dec '13 19:36
    Hookers and gambling are not for me, but point well taken.

Consider ObamaCare. If you have money, you pay at least 3 times what a free market rate would be for a product. But if you have no money, you get it for free.

Why would anyone want to expend themselves producing goods and services to earn money?

And the trend is accelerating. Just think ...[text shortened]... your wealth so the government can give it to someone who indulged in all pleasures for 20 years.
    Exactly. Why would anyone want to work? That is what the government is for, dependence. Only until we all stop working and begin to party in Hawaii can we realize our utopia.
  12. 18 Dec '13 19:46
    Good luck with that. Pay no attention to the poor slobs in Greece who are now getting their benefits reduced once they had become completely dependent upon them.
    If I were a political insider, I'd expect to be very wealthy. But the rest of us are going to wind up in the same place. Unless the current trend doesn't continue, and I don't see how it wouldn't, we'll all be in the same place. They'll take everyone's money before they really cut back on benefits. Whether the government takes your money or you never earned it, you're still in the same place.

Clearly, the democrats feel it is their moral imperative to take any amount of money from anyone that has "extra" as long as they can find someone in "need" to give it to. I don't see that changing, and I don't foresee the electorate moving very far to the right before the system collapses.

Plus, the US has the world reserve currency. Greece cannot print money like we can. Greece cannot easily take money from those who have it because of the political fall out. But the US government has a sneaky way of taxing everyone with money. Just print more of it. Trust me, we're all going to be broke before they stop giving money away.

The only question is do you want to keep producing goods and services so they can take the fruits of your labor?

Right now, I'm middle class, live in the suburbs, and have some money saved. Also, I'm a white, employed, heterosexual, gun-owning, male from the south. Democrats hate me. But just wait until I blow all my money and quit working. They'll love me then.
  13. 18 Dec '13 19:58
    Poor Greeks! Tell me more about how generous benefits used to be in Greece.
  14. 18 Dec '13 20:04
    Just imagine, 5 years from now you need gallbladder surgery. You have $200,000 in a retirement account. What do you know? It cost $150,000 for laparoscopy surgery to remove a gallbladder. The surgeon has to charge that much for ordinary patients. The government requires him to take medicaid patients to cover up their own failures, and only reimburses $125 per surgery for the same operation. So he has to recoup costs from paying customers.

But you shouldn't complain, you're "lucky" enough to have $200,000 and can pay cash (in addition to your $25,000 premium for ObamaCare). All these poor medicaid recipients have nothing. You should be grateful you have a dime left after your surgery because they don't have a dime now.

Think about it... do you think it's going to do you any good to have $200,000 laying around? Not a chance. Eventually you'll have to go to the doctor. It might be something minor like a colonoscopy. But the government has written a blank check in your name to medical providers. They'll charge you $150,000 for a simple procedure. If you have $150,000 you pay it all. If you have $1000, you pay only $1000 and they write off the loss. But this is the system that has resulted from our health care laws and if you have to pay $150,000 for a colonoscopy it's well worth it so they guy down the street with no money can get the same treatment for free and no one ever has to (or is even able to) shop on price.
  15. 18 Dec '13 20:07
    Just imagine, 5 years from now you need gallbladder surgery.
    Ok, imagining...

I will get the surgery, and get on with my life.