Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Sep '10 02:44
    http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley-technology/97925-senators-go-to-bat-for-nasas-constellation-program

Supporters of NASA's manned spaceflight program took action Thursday to oppose President Obama's plan to slash funding. The Senate Appropriatoins Committee voted unanimously to reinforce a current law requiring congressional approval before cutting funding for the Constillation program.

Republican Sen. Richard Shelby and Bob Bennet sponsored the measure, which was tacked onto a $58.8 billion emergency spending bill funding the war in Afghanistan. Bennet said the amendment ensures the administration cannot end the program or terminate current Constillation contracts without congressional approval. Shelby said the administration is violating the spirit of the law by attempting to quash Constillation from within NASA.

"The president's NASA proposal has no clear direction other than to concel Constellation, at any price, even if it means relinquishing our leadership in space, "said Shelby. "NASA is now attempting to undermine current law as it relates to Fiscal Year 2010 Constillation funding by slow rolling contracts and pressuring companies to self-terminate. It is disappointing that the political appointees at NASA have so much trouble following the letter and spirit of the law."

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson also expressed support for the measure and criticized the administration for interfering with NASA contracts.

"The administration's proposals have not been approved by Congress and probably will not be, and it was premature for them to begin terminating procedures," Hutchinson told the Houston Chronicle. "In the supplement bill, we were able to stop the administration from terminating contracts for work on the Constellation program," she added.

The language of the amendment states funds budgeted for Constellation in fiscal 2010 must be used to fund the program, and contracts "may not be terminated for convienience" by NASA during the fiscal year. In February, the Obama administration unveiled a plan to end the Constillation program and shift NASA's focus to building a capsule to take astronauts to Mars and beyond.

However, the President's paln to rely on the commercial space industry to ferry astronauts to the international space station was blasted by many in the scientific community, including astronaut Neil Armstrong who criticized the White House's approach at a hearing this week.

--------------------------------------------------------------

So has president Obama violated the checks and balances of power? Basically Congress passed the Constillation program and included in the verbage that defunding could not take place unless Congressional approval was given. However, Obama appointed cronies from within NASA have undermined this by slow rolling contracts and pressuring companies to self terminate, hince terminating the Constillation program from within so as to bypass the letter and spirit of the law.
  2. 06 Sep '10 03:01 / 1 edit
    As if this were not enough, the NASA administrator Charles Bolden had this to say:

"Before I became the NASA administrator he (Obama) charged me with three things. One was he wanted me to help inspire children to want to get more involved in science and math. He wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

So now the role of NASA has become to be PR for Islam and the West? Basically NASA has been gutted. The shuttle program will be scrapped and the US will lease space for astronaut flight on Russian spacecraft. In addtion, NASA has been asked to focus on global warming. My only question is, why not involve them in promoting Obamacare and dissing the Arizona law on immigration as well?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_070610/content/01125107.guest.html
  3. 06 Sep '10 03:12
    So who here favors NASA slowly being scrapped in favor of private ownership taking on the role of space exploration?
  4. 06 Sep '10 03:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    So who here favors NASA slowly being scrapped in favor of private ownership taking on the role of space exploration?
    I think NASA should be used for the sole purpose of reaching out to the Muslim world.
  5. 06 Sep '10 03:19 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I think NASA should be used for the sole purpose of reaching out to the Muslim world.
    Thank God...er....I mean Allah. I thought I was the only one!!

Really the President has it right. We owe our ability to explore space directly to Mohammad, may peace be upon his name. In fact, I heard a guy on the radio the other day say he had plans to send the mosque in New York into orbit once it was built.
  6. 06 Sep '10 10:08
    As if this were not enough, the NASA administrator Charles Bolden had this to say:

"Before I became the NASA administrator he (Obama) charged me with three things. One was he wanted me to help inspire children to want to get more involved in science and math. He wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third and perhaps foremost, he wante ...[text shortened]... ion as well?

am i TOO wrong to immediately dismiss anything that comes from the limbaughster?
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Sep '10 10:46
    http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley-technology/97925-senators-go-to-bat-for-nasas-constellation-program

Supporters of NASA's manned spaceflight program took action Thursday to oppose President Obama's plan to slash funding. The Senate Appropriatoins Committee voted unanimously to reinforce a current law requiring congressional approval before cutting ...[text shortened]... tillation program from within so as to bypass the letter and spirit of the law.
    Yes, Obama violated "checks and balances" by submitting a NASA budget that proposed eliminating a program.

Do you even think about this crap before writing these posts?

What ever happened to whodey "we must cut government spending"? Guess that wasn't today's Republican talking point.
  8. 06 Sep '10 13:44
    I brought up the Muslim quote long ago, back when it actually happened. The Obama adminstration back peddled on that statement much to the disappointment of some of the lefties on this board.

I wouldn't mind seeing the NASA budget slashed for a few years. I wouldn't mind seeing Social spending slashed forever (people might have to start suffering for making bad decisions). I wouldn't mind doing away with all coporate welfare (let people suffer for their bad decisions). This country would be greatly improved if the government would base its decisions on personal responsibilty and not viewing the government as a charity with a gun so that it can take people's money at will.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Sep '10 13:45

Supporters of NASA's manned spaceflight program took action Thursday to oppose President Obama's plan to slash funding. The Senate Appropriatoins Committee voted unanimously to reinforce a current law requiring congressional approval before cutting ...[text shortened]... tillation program from within so as to bypass the letter and spirit of the law.
    A President seeking to rein in irresponsible allocations of funds by Congress?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Unless they find oil on the Moon, who gives a **** if we're the "leader" in space?
  10. 06 Sep '10 13:52
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    am i TOO wrong to immediately dismiss anything that comes from the limbaughster?
    What he gives you is the video of Bolden saying what was posted.....unless you think it doctored.
  11. 06 Sep '10 13:54
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    [b]Yes, Obama violated "checks and balances" by submitting a NASA budget that proposed eliminating a program.
    He was not allowed to without Congressional approval. So what he did was to appoint people in NASA to nix it from the inside. It costs jobs at NASA, and I thought that was what government needed to do to help "stimulate" the economy.
  12. 06 Sep '10 13:56
    Originally posted by sh76

Unless they find oil on the Moon, who gives a **** if we're the "leader" in space?
    Military advances occur from NASA missions. If it wasn't for that, I'd be right with you.
  13. 06 Sep '10 14:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76

The crux of the articles I posted is that:

#1. Obama is using NASA as a PR tool for the Muslim world, and that is pretty much it.
    #2. Obama nixed a program that only Congress could "defund".

As for Congressional irresponsible allocations of funds, how about starting with a stimulus package that did absolutely nothing for the economy. For those who think that such a package saved trillions of jobs, how is this spending any different? At least in the process of "saving jobs", the US could have produced something worthwhile in regards to space exploration. Of course, many think it silly to engage in such activity, are you one of them sh76?
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Sep '10 14:04 / 1 edit
    The crux of the articles I posted is that:

#1. Obama is using NASA as a PR tool for the Muslim world, and that is pretty much it.
    #2. Obama nixed a program that only Congress could "defund".

As for Congressional irresponsible allocations of funds, how about starting with a stimulus package that did absolutely nothing for the economy. For those who ation. Of course, many think it silly to engage in such activity, are you one of them sh76?
    One thing has nothing to do with the other. Whether the stimulus package was a good idea has nothing to do with whether these NASA programs should be stopped.

I do think that NASA has some legitimate government function. But the people who run the entity are in a better position to know which programs should be funded than random members of Congress.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Sep '10 14:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I brought up the Muslim quote long ago, back when it actually happened. The Obama adminstration back peddled on that statement much to the disappointment of some of the lefties on this board.
    It would have been a low cost contribution to the U.S.'s ongoing battle for hearts and minds around the world. It is a pity he backed off in the midst of media flak.