Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 22 Jan '16 15:52 / 2 edits
    https://www.yahoo.com/politics/conservatives-unite-to-condemn-donald-trump-as-044852817.html

Will this matter? The Conservative magazine says that Trump will be the end of conservatism since he is anything but conservative, but will be labeled conservative, much like "W" of the past.
  2. 22 Jan '16 18:10 / 8 edits
    I have mixed feeling about this article. I agree with the article, yet it makes me uneasy that the National Review has said next to nothing about other GOP candidates that were not conservative in the past like "W" and McCan't. Why?

It is similar to the press questioning whether or not Ted Cruz is eligible to run for President because he was not born in the US. Interestingly, McCain was also not born in the US, yet we hear NOTHING about it.

I also find it amusing that the Donald is front and center at all of these GOP debates, as if he were already appointed the nominee. Then you see the press constantly bash him, but in doing so, gives him limitless free plublicity to garnish support from those who hate the press. Because let's face it, more and more people distrust the press due to their continued support for the establishment and the status quo which continue to destroy the country. Every year their credibility seems to plummet due to it, so are they now pretending to hate candidates in order to get them elected?

Oh how I hate the press!
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Jan '16 18:27 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    I have mixed feeling about this article. I agree with the article, yet it makes me uneasy that the National Review has said next to nothing about other GOP candidates that were not conservative in the past like "W" and McCan't. Why?

It is similar to the press questioning whether or not Ted Cruz is eligible to run for President because he was not born in ...[text shortened]... they now pretending to hate candidates in order to get them elected?

Oh how I hate the press!
    I think this stance the National Review has taken on Trump is understandable. With the exception of his just plain crazy immigration ideas (which will never pass Congress) Trump's ideas on the economy, abortion and guns are pretty liberal, these things make many rank and file republicans very uneasy. I think there is about an 80% chance Trump will be the GOP nominee, but will stand little chance in the general election. Trump has angered so many groups of people in America, he's driven many votes over to the Democrats, but...it will be fun to watch Trump and his giant ego try to make a horse race out of it. As Republican Lindsey Graham just said regarding Hillary: He called her “dishonest,” but preferred that over just plain “crazy.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/lindsey-graham-electing-trump-or-cruz-is-like-choosing-to-be-shot-or-poisoned
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '16 19:00 / 1 edit

It is similar to the press questioning whether or not Ted Cruz is eligible to run for President because he was not born in ...[text shortened]... they now pretending to hate candidates in order to get them elected?

Oh how I hate the press!
    McCain, you imbecile, was born on a US military base. The idea that the Framers would not have thought of someone born of a US soldier on a military base in leased territory as not a "natural born citizen" is far-fetched. The situation is far different for Cruz.

GW Bush's platform and administration were extremely conservative and he is still thought highly of by the majority of Tea Party Republicans and always has been:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-tea-party-supporters-view-palin-beck-and-bush-favorably/
  5. 22 Jan '16 19:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    I think this stance the National Review has taken on Trump is understandable. With the exception of his just plain crazy immigration ideas (which will never pass Congress) Trump's ideas on the economy, abortion and guns are pretty liberal, these things make many rank and file republicans very uneasy. I think there is about an 80% chance Trump will be the GOP ...[text shortened]... aminer.com/article/lindsey-graham-electing-trump-or-cruz-is-like-choosing-to-be-shot-or-poisoned
    Well at least those in the GOP are openly admitting they would rather see a Dim in office.
  6. 22 Jan '16 19:40
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    McCain, you imbecile, was born on a US military base. The idea that the Framers would not have thought of someone born of a US soldier on a military base in leased territory as not a "natural born citizen" is far-fetched. The situation is far different for Cruz.

GW Bush's platform and administration were extremely conservative and he is still thought ...[text shortened]... en:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-tea-party-supporters-view-palin-beck-and-bush-favorably/
    But it is speculation nonetheless.

Cruz was considered a US citizen because his mother was a US citizen just like McCain was considered a US citizen because his parent was a US citizen.

Are you telling me that if a foreigner was born on a US base over seas that they would be considered a US citizen, or does being a soldier make you more of a US citizen?
  7. 22 Jan '16 19:40

GW Bush's platform and administration were extremely conservative and he is still thought ...[text shortened]... en:

Cruz was considered a US citizen because his mother was a US citizen just like McCain was considered a US citizen because his parent was a US citizen.

Are you telling me that if a foreigner was born on a US base over seas that they would be considered a US citizen, or does being a soldier make you more of a US citizen?
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Jan '16 20:29

No, I'm telling you what I just told you.

Assuming that the Canal Zone rates as "foreign territory", a soldier or diplomat in foreign territory in the service of his country is in a different situation from an American citizen simply living overseas for their own reasons. This was well-established common law prior to the Constitution:

At common law, “natural born” meant someone born within the sovereign territory with one narrow exception. The exception was for children of public officials serving abroad, which does not help Cruz because his parents were not serving the United States when he was born in Canada. The case of John McCain was entirely different because he was born in a U.S. territory (the Panama Canal Zone) and to U.S. parents who were serving the U.S. military.

http://www.salon.com/2016/01/20/ted_cruz_is_not_eligible_to_run_for_president_a_harvard_law_professor_close_reads_the_constitution/
  9. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Jan '16 20:46
    Well at least those in the GOP are openly admitting they would rather see a Dim in office.
    ...and the fact that they shuffle nervously in their chairs while doing it, is most entertaining.!
  10. 23 Jan '16 03:52
    No, I'm telling you what I just told you.

Assuming that the Canal Zone rates as "foreign territory", a soldier or diplomat in foreign territory in the service of his country is in a different situation from an American citizen simply living overseas for their own reasons. This was well-established common law prior to the Constitution:

At common law ...[text shortened]... _cruz_is_not_eligible_to_run_for_president_a_harvard_law_professor_close_reads_the_constitution/
    It's precious how Progs are all of a sudden concerned about the Constitution, isn't it?
  11. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    23 Jan '16 17:42

Here's a novel idea. Why don't we let the courts decide this one. That's why we have them.
  12. 23 Jan '16 18:13
    Originally posted by bill718
    Here's a novel idea. Why don't we let the courts decide this one. That's why we have them.
    Yeah, the establishment paid good money for the judges.