Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 23:20
    When Neapolitan ice cream was invented it was originally called neo political ice cream where the message was vanilla and chocolate were separated by the strawberry.

The name was changed to Neapolitan at a later date.

Neapolitan is my favourite ice cream! You get vanilla and strawberry at the same time!

Chocolate goes in the trash.

The inventor, an eccentric millionaire named Mrs. White said they put chocolate in there after much debate.

The new slogan was "Neapolitan ice cream for the separatist"

True story.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 00:142 edits
    @pabauer said
    When Neapolitan ice cream was invented it was originally called neo political ice cream where the message was vanilla and chocolate were separated by the strawberry.

The name was changed to Neapolitan at a later date.

Neapolitan is my favourite ice cream! You get vanilla and strawberry at the same time!

Chocolate goes in the trash.

The inventor, an eccentric milli ...[text shortened]... re after much debate.

The new slogan was "Neapolitan ice cream for the separatist"

True story.
    "True story".

Not.

After Gelato conquered Italy and Europe between 15th and 18th century, fashion changes of 19th century brought the daunting task to Italian ice cream makers – how to reinvent ice cream into totally new form factor. Their solution was simple one - create one ice cream which will combine multiple flavors in one single and easy to produce, transport, and serve package. Their invention was Neapolitan ice cream, which received much attention after it was released to public in early 19th century, most notably by Italian ice cream maker named Giuseppe Tortoni who lived in Paris.

http://www.icecreamhistory.net/frozen-dessert-history/history-of-neapolitan-ice-cream/

Since the original flavors were vanilla, strawberry and pistachio to mimic the Italian flag (https://books.google.com/books?id=9OEmdcwYhfEC&pg=PA145&dq=Neapolitan+ice+cream&hl=ru&sa=X&ei=WgyHVcuZOYuPsAGAvJjIDA&ved=0CBoQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=Neapolitan%20ice%20cream&f=false p. 145) and chocolate replaced pistachio in the US merely because it was a more popular flavor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neapolitan_ice_cream) your take is complete BS.
  3. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 00:191 edit
    My take is BS?
    You saying my pappy is wrong? 😠

Vanilla Strawberry and Pistachio!!

I want that.

Live and learn eh?
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 00:25
    @pabauer said
    The only Neapolitan I have ever had, has had chocolate and strawberry separated by vanilla. Vanilla should be the centre stripe, unless there is some dastardly Mandela effect in operation.
  5. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 00:26
    I buy it in Canada and strawberry is in the middle.
  6. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 04:59
    I don’t know much about ice cream, but... the Italian flag theory seems BS to me.
    Italy’s had so many different flags in the 19th and 20th century, it boggles the mind.

And if you’re gonna call your ice cream after your flag, you sure as hell ain’t gonna change one of the colours to suit tastes... you’d make a new ice cream and call it something else.
  7. Joined
    09 Jan '19
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 05:03
    LoL
  8. Germany
    Moves
    15 Jan '19 07:07
    @shavixmir said
    I don’t know much about ice cream, but... the Italian flag theory seems BS to me.
    Italy’s had so many different flags in the 19th and 20th century, it boggles the mind.

And if you’re gonna call your ice cream after your flag, you sure as hell ain’t gonna change one of the colours to suit tastes... you’d make a new ice cream and call it something else.
    The flag adopted during Italian unification is barely different from the one used now - the only difference is a small emblem in the middle making reference to the Savoyard founding dynasty. Mussolini didn't change it.