Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Feb '15 06:30
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31596640

    [quote]Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu's view in 2012 that Iran was a year away from being able to make a nuclear bomb was not shared by his own intelligence service, a leaked cable suggests.[/unquote]

    The leaked cable is from Mossad, by the way.

    Wow! Nearly a war because of a politician lying through his evil teeth.
    Remember Colin Powell at the UN some years ago?

    Unbelievable that people keep believing these sorts of people.
  2. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    26 Feb '15 22:02
    Anyone concerned about the impact of ISIS and the the harm done by the Saudi promotion of the Wahhabi sect will start to appreciate the importance of seeking a more intelligent and constructive relationship with Iran, which is not what Israel wants. In Iraq, the US and Iran have more in common than anyone wants to admit openly. As in so many matters, Netanyahu is a maniac and it's time the US pulled back on his reins.
  3. 27 Feb '15 20:04
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31596640

    [quote]Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu's view in 2012 that Iran was a year away from being able to make a nuclear bomb was not shared by his own intelligence service, a leaked cable suggests.[/unquote]

    The leaked cable is from Mossad, by the way.

    Wow! Nearly a war because of a politician lying throu ...[text shortened]... well at the UN some years ago?

    Unbelievable that people keep believing these sorts of people.
    You do realize that estimates are almost always inaccurate. When will Iran produce its first nuclear warhead? Does it matter when?
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Feb '15 20:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You do realize that estimates are almost always inaccurate. When will Iran produce its first nuclear warhead? Does it matter when?
    A libertarian war monger?

    Jon Stewart said that Iran's been one year away from getting a nuclear weapon for 20 years according to Bibi.
  5. 27 Feb '15 20:07
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Anyone concerned about the impact of ISIS and the the harm done by the Saudi promotion of the Wahhabi sect will start to appreciate the importance of seeking a more intelligent and constructive relationship with Iran, which is not what Israel wants. In Iraq, the US and Iran have more in common than anyone wants to admit openly. As in so many matters, Netanyahu is a maniac and it's time the US pulled back on his reins.
    Why is Israel opposed to a constructive relationship with Iran? As an example, I am more concerned with the liberals in Illinois, and Wisconsin (I'm in Michigan), than those in California or Massachusetts. Proximity is important.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Feb '15 20:09
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Why is Israel opposed to a constructive relationship with Iran? As an example, I am more concerned with the liberals in Illinois, and Wisconsin (I'm in Michigan), than those in California or Massachusetts. Proximity is important.
    Tails shouldn't wag dogs.
  7. 27 Feb '15 20:10
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    A libertarian war monger?

    Jon Stewart said that Iran's been one year away from getting a nuclear weapon for 20 years according to Bibi.
    War monger? Please?

    Does anyone take Jon Stewart seriously?
  8. 27 Feb '15 20:11
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Tails shouldn't wag dogs.
    Doesn't answer the question, or seriously attempt to.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Feb '15 20:26
    Originally posted by normbenign
    War monger? Please?

    Does anyone take Jon Stewart seriously?
    Stewart's jibe is both funny and true. Very little of what Netanyahu says is either.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Feb '15 20:28
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Doesn't answer the question, or seriously attempt to.
    Sure it does.
  11. 27 Feb '15 20:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Stewart's jibe is both funny and true. Very little of what Netanyahu says is either.
    The majority of Israelis disagreed with you.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Feb '15 20:54
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The majority of Israelis disagreed with you.
    Even assuming that is true, I don't care what the majority of Israelis think. And US foreign policy shouldn't be based on such a thing either.
  13. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    27 Feb '15 22:09
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Even assuming that is true, I don't care what the majority of Israelis think. And US foreign policy shouldn't be based on such a thing either.
    What the majority of Israelis believe is an important problem and it seems they believe the lies they are being fed. Within Israel, there is evidence of an increasingly hysterical movement towards racist ideology and a falsified history that is indeed dangerous. A state that is built on lies has weak foundations indeed. The extent to which this is so has been spelled out by Israeli academics and they are being ignored. That is dangerous.
  14. 27 Feb '15 22:27
    Originally posted by finnegan to No1Marauder
    What the majority of Israelis believe is an important problem and it seems they believe the lies they are being fed. Within Israel, there is evidence of an increasingly hysterical movement towards racist ideology and a falsified history that is indeed dangerous. A state that is built on lies has weak foundations indeed. The extent to whic ...[text shortened]... is so has been spelled out by Israeli academics and they are being ignored. That is dangerous.
    From what I have heard, Israel's evidently increasingly intolerant right-wing
    political culture has been impelling more leftist Jews to emigrate, thus resulting
    in even less opposition to the more extreme movements of Zionism in Israel.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Feb '15 23:32
    Originally posted by finnegan
    What the majority of Israelis believe is an important problem and it seems they believe the lies they are being fed. Within Israel, there is evidence of an increasingly hysterical movement towards racist ideology and a falsified history that is indeed dangerous. A state that is built on lies has weak foundations indeed. The extent to which this is so has been spelled out by Israeli academics and they are being ignored. That is dangerous.
    I try not to worry too much over problems that I cannot possibly do anything to solve. Israeli public opinion is not something I can influence in any way, shape or form. If they insist on going down the road that Netanyahu wants, then they will reap what they have sown.