Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 18 Jun '15 04:20
    Progs have promised to place a woman on the $10 bill by 2020.

    So who will it be? If they use "Alexandria Hamilton", they can knock off 3 birds with one stone. Just think, the first transgender, transracial, woman on American currency!
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    18 Jun '15 04:56
    There's been a campaign to put Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill:

    http://www.newsweek.com/lets-put-harriet-tubmans-face-20-bill-334667
  3. 18 Jun '15 05:00
    Originally posted by vivify
    There's been a campaign to put Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill:

    http://www.newsweek.com/lets-put-harriet-tubmans-face-20-bill-334667
    Sure, now that the dollar is not worth anything put a picture of a woman on it.

    Sexist pigs!
  4. 18 Jun '15 05:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sure, now that the dollar is not worth anything ...
    Please give me all your dollars.
  5. 18 Jun '15 07:54
    Never mind the fact that inflation figures have been a few percent at most for decades, inflation is rampant 'cause umm, the Fed is bad and stuff. Also, muslims.
  6. 18 Jun '15 10:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    Progs have promised to place a woman on the $10 bill by 2020.

    So who will it be? If they use "Alexandria Hamilton", they can knock off 3 birds with one stone. Just think, the first transgender, transracial, woman on American currency!
    Caitlin Jenner. Gets your daft national fixation on steroid-addled sports starts in the mix, too.
  7. 18 Jun '15 13:32
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Never mind the fact that inflation figures have been a few percent at most for decades, inflation is rampant 'cause umm, the Fed is bad and stuff. Also, muslims.
    Inflation figures are low because the government is the one creating the figures.
  8. 18 Jun '15 13:59
    Originally posted by techsouth
    Inflation figures are low because the government is the one creating the figures.
    ...from behind the grassy knoll.
  9. 18 Jun '15 14:05
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    ...from behind the grassy knoll.
    If production of goods becomes more efficient, which direction should prices go?

    Prices can change for reasons other than inflation, which means it is not easy to distinguish what change comes from inflation and what does not.

    And since increase in productivity inclines prices to go down, that gives the government the opportunity to hide inflation and tell the people what a great job they're doing.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jun '15 14:12
    Originally posted by vivify
    There's been a campaign to put Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill:

    http://www.newsweek.com/lets-put-harriet-tubmans-face-20-bill-334667
    Tubman is a good choice for the $20.

    For the new $10, I'd nominate our first woman President, Edith Wilson.http://millercenter.org/president/wilson/essays/firstlady
  11. 18 Jun '15 14:31 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Please give me all your dollars.
    I've grown so used to hearing Progs ask me this that I just ignore it now.

    No! Get a job!!

    Or as they say in Islam, get a hijab!!
  12. 18 Jun '15 14:39
    Originally posted by techsouth
    If production of goods becomes more efficient, which direction [b]should prices go?

    Prices can change for reasons other than inflation, which means it is not easy to distinguish what change comes from inflation and what does not.

    And since increase in productivity inclines prices to go down, that gives the government the opportunity to hide inflation and tell the people what a great job they're doing.[/b]
    Inflation means that prices (as measured through some basket of goods and services) have risen. It makes no sense to say that prices can increase for "reasons other than inflation."
  13. 18 Jun '15 15:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Inflation means that prices (as measured through some basket of goods and services) have risen. It makes no sense to say that prices can increase for "reasons other than inflation."
    You're talking about the Consumer Price Index, which is the mechanism the government uses to hide real inflation.

    Inflation is the rise of prices due to the rise of the money supply.

    If food prices go up 10% because of the increase in money supply, but the price of computers goes down by 10% because the factories are more efficient producing them, that is still 10% inflation although the CPI might consider that a 0% price increase.

    Just think, if we get more efficient at producing goods and services, all of us should be able to purchase a lot more goods and services. With all the improvements to efficiency in the last 50 years, prices of most things should be going down significantly.
  14. 18 Jun '15 15:34
    Originally posted by techsouth
    You're talking about the Consumer Price Index, which is the mechanism the government uses to hide real inflation.

    Inflation is the rise of prices due to the rise of the money supply.

    If food prices go up 10% because of the increase in money supply, but the price of computers goes down by 10% because the factories are more efficient producing them, th ...[text shortened]... ts to efficiency in the last 50 years, prices of most things should be going down significantly.
    No. Inflation means that prices (as measured through some basket of goods and services) have risen.

    According to monetarist theory, the supply of money is the main driving force behind inflation.
  15. 18 Jun '15 16:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No. Inflation means that prices (as measured through some basket of goods and services) have risen.

    According to monetarist theory, the supply of money is the main driving force behind inflation.
    Gas prices can change up or down by 25% or more over a 6 month period.

    The price of medical care may go up by 7% in a year while the price of housing falls during that same year.

    The price of consumer electronic goods of similar abilities continues to fall year by year. The TV I bought 6 years ago for $800 would cost maybe $250 or $300 now. That seemingly has little to do with the US dollar gaining value and clearly the FED should not be taking any credit for this price reduction.

    One can squabble about what is and is not an accepted definition of inflation, but to ignore the fact that there are many things affecting prices other than inflation is a curious behavior.

    When you watch the price of one commodity go up while at the same time another commodity goes down, it is natural for a thinking person to wonder, "How much of the price change is due to the general loss of value of the currency and how much is due to other market forces?" And if there are other market forces in play, one may also wonder, "What would prices do if the value of currency stayed the same?" And one may even go so far as to wonder, "Are there non money supply related market forces that are lowering prices happening that are not being realized because money supply changes are offsetting the would-be gains?"

    You can use the word "inflation" to mean whatever you want. But there is a component to price changes that is due to increase of money supply that is separate from other market forces. It would be good if we had a single word for that component. Some use the word "inflation", but I see that causes miscommunication on this forum. What word would you suggest we use to refer to the price change components that are driven by money supply changes?

    If you're not slightly curious, so be it. The government is responsible for the erosion of purchasing power due to increased money supply. They're also the ones telling us what a great job they're doing when they report 2-3% inflation. Believe what you want.