Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 27 Jan '15 21:41
    _Guantanamo Diary_ by Mohamedou Ould Slahi (2015)

_Murder at Camp Delta_ by Joseph Hickman (2015)
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    27 Jan '15 21:44
    https://www.wcl.american.edu/hrbrief/v7i2/laogai.htm
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    27 Jan '15 23:10
    Makes me wonder just how many countries use such practice, but haven't yet been caught.
  4. 27 Jan '15 23:20
    Shrug.

Obama signed the NDAA which allows government just to snatch people away without trial or even admitting that they detained you.
  5. 28 Jan '15 23:16
    Since Obama claims that these guys aren't really Muslims, why were they given Korans and given special treatment for being Muslims?
  6. 29 Jan '15 01:46
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Since Obama claims that these guys aren't really Muslims, why were they given Korans and given special treatment for being Muslims?
    Obama is reaching out to any reachable Muslim leaders who might be able to influence moderate Muslims to renounce terrorism, and then to organize to stamp it out.

For political (and psychological) reasons these leaders have to treat terrorism as an aberration from "true Islam." This is a fact about people in general.

It is a far more likely road to results; to go along with this politically and psychologically necessary rationale, since the alternative would be a call by the West, for Muslims to dismantle Islam itself. That would feed right into the message of the terrorists.

Obviously, the White House thinks that this is the best approach. RIght? Wrong? Let's discuss the alternatives.

As to providing Korans etc.? I don't know. It's a tight wire situation. It could be argued that doing so is better than leaving the ideas of those who radicalized them as their only source of inspiration.

I have Muslims as friends. They are appalled at what is going on in their name.
  7. 30 Jan '15 00:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    Obama is reaching out to any reachable Muslim leaders who might be able to influence moderate Muslims to renounce terrorism, and then to organize to stamp it out.

For political (and psychological) reasons these leaders have to treat terrorism as an aberration from "true Islam." This is a fact about people in general.

It is a far more likely road to resul ...[text shortened]... inspiration.

I have Muslims as friends. They are appalled at what is going on in their name.
    Follow up question, what does ISIL stand for?

If it stands for Islamic in any form, then why does Obama decide to use the term?
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Jan '15 02:45
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Follow up question, what does ISIL stand for?

If it stands for Islamic in any form, then why does Obama decide to use the term?
    Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

It's more accurate than ISIS.
  9. 30 Jan '15 03:26
    Originally posted by sh76
    Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

It's more accurate than ISIS.
    I thought Obama said that those terrorists are not Islamic.
  10. 30 Jan '15 09:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Shrug.

Obama signed the NDAA which allows government just to snatch people away without trial or even admitting that they detained you.
    Sounds like the sort of laws that you would support if they didn't have Obamas signature on them.