Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 01 May '09 14:12 / 1 edit
    Supreme Court Justice David Souter is retiring.

    He was appointed by a conservative and his positions are today consiered generally liberal.

    Some changes from the positions he holds may matter more than others.

    He is credited in some stories as being one of many defenders of individual liberties on the court.
  2. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    01 May '09 14:51 / 1 edit
    From http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518561,00.html :

    ""Souter, 69, is widely regarded as one of the most liberal members of the bench. As such, his departure would not likely lead to a significant change in the close idealogical split that currently defines the Court.

    Souter's presence in the current liberal block of the Court is a long-standing matter of frustration for conservatives who feel his appointment in 1990 by President George H.W. Bush — a Republican — was a missed opportunity.

    "We're looking for President Obama to choose an eminently qualified candidate who is committed to the core constitutional values, who is committed to justice for all and not just a few," said Nan Aron, president of the liberal Alliance for Justice.""

    So Mr. Obama gets to choose a new SCJ. It will be fun, hopefully, to see how easy his choice will get through Congress.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 May '09 16:09 / 1 edit
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonia_Sotomayor

    You heard it here first.

    Okay, well maybe not first, but she's my prediction.

    And, she'll pass Congress roughly 90-10.

    Republicans don't stop Democratic Presidents from reasonable SC appointments. It only works the other was around.
  4. 01 May '09 17:29 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Lundos
    From http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518561,00.html :

    ""Souter, 69, is widely regarded as one of the most liberal members of the bench. As such, his departure would not likely lead to a significant change in the close idealogical split that currently defines the Court.

    Souter's presence in the current liberal block of the Court is a long-standing ma ew SCJ. It will be fun, hopefully, to see how easy his choice will get through Congress.
    You see Republican presidents appointing liberal but you will NEVER see a Democrat appoint a conservative justice. Now the Lib's can appoint liberal drone for another 20 years, as if they needed any more control now that they control the other two branches of government.
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 May '09 17:31
    Originally posted by sh76
    Republicans don't stop Democratic Presidents from reasonable SC appointments. It only works the other was around.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. And you didn't vote for Bush. Except. oh, you did.
  6. 01 May '09 17:34
    Obama should not appoint a new judge, rather he should change the law (constitution?) to abolish the completely retarded practise of presidents appointing judges.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 May '09 17:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    You see Republican presidents appointing liberal but you will NEVER see a Democrat appoint a conservative justice. Now the Lib's can appoint liberal drone for another 20 years, as if they needed any more control now that they control the other two branches of government.
    You are very very fascinatingly partisan, whodey, did I every tell you that?
  8. 01 May '09 17:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are very very fascinatingly partisan, whodey, did I every tell you that?
    I used to be....that is before I realized that the majority of Republicans are not conservatives. For example, I have little respect for the Bush boys and company. So I suppose I'm a partisan without a party. LOL.
  9. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    01 May '09 18:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    You see Republican presidents appointing liberal but you will NEVER see a Democrat appoint a conservative justice. Now the Lib's can appoint liberal drone for another 20 years, as if they needed any more control now that they control the other two branches of government.
    FAIL.

    The conservatives thought he would be a conservative, when they chose him:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Souter

    Read from 'Expected conservatism'.
  10. Standard member Lundos
    Back to basics
    01 May '09 18:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    I used to be....that is before I realized that the majority of Republicans are not conservatives. For example, I have little respect for the Bush boys and company. So I suppose I'm a partisan without a party. LOL.
    Whom do you consider Bushs' boys? And who do you consider to be true conservatives?
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 May '09 18:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. And you didn't vote for Bush. Except. oh, you did.
    The GOP hasn't gone after a Dem SC nominee in recent history. Ginsburg passed, I think, 96-3 or something to that effect. Breyer also was confirmed easily, even though they were both very liberal. That's all I'm saying. Whether I voted for bush has nothing to do with it.
  12. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    01 May '09 19:02
    Originally posted by whodey
    You see Republican presidents appointing liberal but you will NEVER see a Democrat appoint a conservative justice. Now the Lib's can appoint liberal drone for another 20 years, as if they needed any more control now that they control the other two branches of government.
    What are you talking about whodey?
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 May '09 19:05
    Originally posted by telerion
    What are you talking about whodey?
    I think what he means is that GOP Presidents have appointed judges who have turned out to be liberal; Examples:

    Earl Warren
    William Brennan
    David Souter
    Harry Blackmun (to a lesser extent than the other three)

    No recent Dem President has appointed a judge who has turned out to be Conservative
  14. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    01 May '09 19:10
    Conservatives can breathe easy. Bush II pretty much made certain that we'll see rightwing rulings for quite a decent while when he put up Roberts and Alito.

    Then again Scalia and Kennedy are pretty old. If the dems can keep control for the next eight years (very very unlikely), then we could see a big liberal shift. Man, without Scalia how would Thomas ever form an opinion?
  15. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    01 May '09 19:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    I think what he means is that GOP Presidents have appointed judges who have turned out to be liberal; Examples:

    Earl Warren
    William Brennan
    David Souter
    Harry Blackmun (to a lesser extent than the other three)

    No recent Dem President has appointed a judge who has turned out to be Conservative
    Guess conservatives should do a better job of vetting their nominees. The last Bush did a fine job picking staunch conservatives.