Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 05 Nov '11 20:59
    It seems interesting to me that with each debate Newt keeps on climbing up in the polls. Much of this I think has to do with Romney destroying Perry in the debates. Perry has wisely stayed out of the debates, however, either way he is toast because of his "W"--like intellectual capacity. Newt, on the other hand, is clearly the best debater among the whole group if not the smartest tack out there on stage. In addition, as those in the GOP and the press set their sites on the likes of Romney and Cain, it seems that Newt is overlooked in large part, which I think contributes to his steady climb.

So how about it? Does Newt stand a chance? I think one of this biggest strengths would be balancing a budget as speaker of the house. After all, how many in recent memory has accomplished that? In fact, it may never happen again.
  2. 05 Nov '11 21:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    After all, how many in recent memory has accomplished that?
    Hastert did, and there was a surplus during much of the period after WW2 until 1975. Though perhaps it is questionable to call it an "accomplishment" - you know, Dem president and everything.

Anyway, Gingrich lacks charisma and his "family values" record is severely tainted.
  3. 05 Nov '11 21:58
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Hastert did, and there was a surplus during much of the period after WW2 until 1975. Though perhaps it is questionable to call it an "accomplishment" - you know, Dem president and everything.

Anyway, Gingrich lacks charisma and his "family values" record is severely tainted.
    It is all about charisma isn't it.

Personally, discussing "values" when it comes to the political ilk is somewhat humorous to me.

So 1975, eh? Since that time the government has chosen a fiscal path of destruction. Newt has been the only one to challenge that course.
  4. 05 Nov '11 22:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    It is all about charisma isn't it.

Personally, discussing "values" when it comes to the political ilk is somewhat humorous to me.

So 1975, eh? Since that time the government has chosen a fiscal path of destruction. Newt has been the only one to challenge that course.
    Well, the period 1975-1980 wasn't so bad budget-wise, it was still pretty close to balanced despite the poor economy. But then came Reagan.
  5. 10 Nov '11 23:14
    Go Newt! Maybe with Perry and Cain out of the way, he can make his move!
  6. 11 Nov '11 01:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

Actually the Speaker of the House has arguably more to do with a balanced budget than does the President.

I don't think the family values is a huge issue in view of recent Presidents, and Newt has his own type of charisma. He also has some policy problems for conservatives.
  7. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    11 Nov '11 05:57
    1) If Romney is going to get knocked for flip-flopping on health care, Gingrich is going to get his butt kicked. Let alone his position from the '90's--go back and look at his dizzying 180 from earlier in the year.

2) Speaking for myself, at least, I am less troubled by his infidelity than I am by his hypocricy in criticizing other people with similar marital issues.

3) Again, speaking for myself, I think his debate performances haven't done much more than make him come off as a snobbish, arrogant prick. I don't doubt that his attitude appeals to many, but I would doubt that it also doesn't turn others off.
  8. 12 Nov '11 05:14
    I just read some polls. It appears Cain leads by about 18% while Newt and Romney are tied for second at around 15%. In fact, Newt's numbers are the only one on the upswing, the others are headed down.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Nov '11 06:44
    It seems to me that a very substantial majority of likely Republican primary voters are interested in supporting someone other than Mitt Romney. If Iowa and New Hampshire narrow the field as they almost always do, I think it probable that someone besides Romney wins the nomination. Cain, Bachmann, Perry and Gingrich all have baggage but they are all pretty solidly right wing and have been for a long time and most Republicans just don't trust Romney to be as conservative as he says he is NOW (even Romney supporters like sh76 don't believe he is either). So if two of them are gone after New Hampshire, one of the others will probably win. I still think that might be Perry; he has a lot of cash and doesn't need a big score in either IA or NH. Bachman pretty much has to either win or come in a strong second in IA so it seems probable she's a goner. I suspect Newt and Cain's chances are very dependent on the results in those two states.
  10. 14 Nov '11 23:20
    Looks like he's the new great white hope - until his opponents pull out the anti-Ryan clip.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/new-national-polls-show-newt-coming-on-strong-in-gop-race-yes-really.php?ref=fpb
  11. 15 Nov '11 03:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It seems to me that a very substantial majority of likely Republican primary voters are interested in supporting someone other than Mitt Romney. If Iowa and New Hampshire narrow the field as they almost always do, I think it probable that someone besides Romney wins the nomination. Cain, Bachmann, Perry and Gingrich all have baggage but they are all pret r. I suspect Newt and Cain's chances are very dependent on the results in those two states.
    Do you really think that...um....er....what's the name......Perry still has a chance? Hilarious!!

I say the field is down to Newt, Cain, and Romney.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    15 Nov '11 05:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It seems to me that a very substantial majority of likely Republican primary voters are interested in supporting someone other than Mitt Romney. If Iowa and New Hampshire narrow the field as they almost always do, I think it probable that someone besides Romney wins the nomination. Cain, Bachmann, Perry and Gingrich all have baggage but they are all pret ...[text shortened]... r. I suspect Newt and Cain's chances are very dependent on the results in those two states.
    Maybe Huntsman will make a comeback.

I know it's a long shot, but so was Kerry at this point in '04.
  13. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    15 Nov '11 05:23 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76

The U.S. can only hope.

He is banking on NH.

Edit 2:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/11/03/magazine/538-gdp-election-calculator.html?ref=magazine
  14. 15 Nov '11 21:33
    Originally posted by sh76

Kerry did not have core beliefs which fundamentally rubbed the base the wrong way.
  15. 15 Nov '11 22:10
    I like Newt. I think he'd be a great President. I know he'd more than hold his own against Obama in the debates.

If he can get past all the stupid stuff in his past, like his entry into this election run, he'll do fine!