Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 19 Dec '14 12:04
    http://news.yahoo.com/law-now-no-social-security-082122614.html

Why this is an outrage! How can the President discriminate against Progressives like this?
  2. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    19 Dec '14 13:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.yahoo.com/law-now-no-social-security-082122614.html

Why this is an outrage! How can the President discriminate against Progressives like this?
    Memories of 1945 haunting the US?
    Operation PAPERCLIP – While other American agencies are hunting down Nazi war criminals for arrest, the U.S. intelligence community is smuggling them into America, unpunished, for their use against the Soviets. The most important of these is Reinhard Gehlen, Hitler’s master spy who had built up an intelligence network in the Soviet Union. With full U.S. blessing, he creates the "Gehlen Organization," a band of refugee Nazi spies who reactivate their networks in Russia. These include SS intelligence officers Alfred Six and Emil Augsburg (who massacred Jews in the Holocaust), Klaus Barbie (the "Butcher of Lyon" ), Otto von Bolschwing (the Holocaust mastermind who worked with Eichmann) and SS Colonel Otto Skorzeny (a personal friend of Hitler’s). The Gehlen Organization supplies the U.S. with its only intelligence on the Soviet Union for the next ten years, serving as a bridge between the abolishment of the OSS and the creation of the CIA. However, much of the "intelligence" the former Nazis provide is bogus. Gehlen inflates Soviet military capabilities at a time when Russia is still rebuilding its devastated society, in order to inflate his own importance to the Americans (who might otherwise punish him). In 1948, Gehlen almost convinces the Americans that war is imminent, and the West should make a preemptive strike. In the 50s he produces a fictitious "missile gap." To make matters worse, the Russians have thoroughly penetrated the Gehlen Organization with double agents, undermining the very American security that Gehlen was supposed to protect.
    http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/CIAtimeline.html
  3. Standard member Soothfast
    19 Dec '14 19:55
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Memories of 1945 haunting the US?
    Operation PAPERCLIP – While other American agencies are hunting down Nazi war criminals for arrest, the U.S. intelligence community is smuggling them into America, unpunished, for their use against the Soviets. The most important of these is Reinhard Gehlen, Hitler’s master spy who had built up an intelligence networ ...[text shortened]... urity that Gehlen was supposed to protect.
    http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/CIAtimeline.html
    Oh hush now. The Empire is good. It is benevolent. It is wise. It says "In God We Trust" on its currency.

You're just being a Debbie Downer. Here's a US flag. Wave it.

Wave it or else...
  4. 20 Dec '14 03:15
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Oh hush now. The Empire is good. It is benevolent. It is wise. It says "In God We Trust" on its currency.

You're just being a Debbie Downer. Here's a US flag. Wave it.

Wave it or else...
    I say we give the government more power and make it bigger.

This social security issue just shows that it is not an entitlement. These payments are at the whim of bureaucrats. All we can hope is that their whim does not target people like us.
  5. 20 Dec '14 03:38
    I say we give the government more power and make it bigger.

This social security issue just shows that it is not an entitlement. These payments are at the whim of bureaucrats. All we can hope is that their whim does not target people like us.
    Better big government than big business. Big government is never in bed with big business. We can trust the government because we can vote one person out and replace him with one other person. The new one can't be bought and paid for because he comes from a political party that starts with a different letter.
  6. 20 Dec '14 12:51 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Better big government than big business. Big government is never in bed with big business. We can trust the government because we can vote one person out and replace him with one other person. The new one can't be bought and paid for because he comes from a political party that starts with a different letter.
    I'm just wondering who should be next?

Who else should be denied entitlements like Social Security?

Should it only be Nazis or should we begin considering targeting other groups?

Make no mistake, the president has set the precedent. Now future presidents for generations to come can target their own hated groups of their choosing.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    20 Dec '14 19:03 / 1 edit

Make no mistake, the president has set the precedent. Now future presidents for generations to come can target their own hated groups of their choosing.
    Why are you so obsessed with the President? This was a law passed unanimously in the House and by voice vote in the Senate according to the article in the OP.

Your hysterical screeching is always ridiculous, but your "conclusions" here are particularly absurd.

EDIT: And the law itself doesn't cut off SS benefits to a "hated group". It:

The bill signed into law by Obama terminates Social Security payments for individuals stripped of their American citizenships due to their participation in Nazi persecutions during World War II.

So you can goosestep around the house all you want and say Adolf Hitler was the cat's pajamas if you want to and still collect your SS benefits so long as you aren't a Nazi war criminal.
  8. Standard member Soothfast
    20 Dec '14 21:34
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Why are you so obsessed with the President? This was a law passed unanimously in the House and by voice vote in the Senate according to the article in the OP.

Your hysterical screeching is always ridiculous, but your "conclusions" here are particularly absurd.

The bill ...[text shortened]... mas if you want to and still collect your SS benefits so long as you aren't a Nazi war criminal.
    It's hard to goosestep in a trailer without kicking the missus or the bug zapper, I imagine.
  9. 20 Dec '14 23:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder

The bill ...[text shortened]... mas if you want to and still collect your SS benefits so long as you aren't a Nazi war criminal.
    How can they strip them of their citizenship, especially when Obama has unilaterally chosen to not deport illegals and wishes to make them citizens?

Should all criminals be stripped of their citizenship?
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    22 Dec '14 01:29
    How can they strip them of their citizenship, especially when Obama has unilaterally chosen to not deport illegals and wishes to make them citizens?

Should all criminals be stripped of their citizenship?
    Bitch to Congress if you have a problem with stripping Nazi war criminals of US citizenship.
  11. 03 Jan '15 14:17 / 1 edit

Anyone else find it disturbing that the law takes away social security benefits from SUSPECTED Nazi war criminals ?
    Aren't they allowed some form of due process before something gets taken away from them?
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Jan '15 15:12
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Anyone else find it disturbing that the law takes away social security benefits from SUSPECTED Nazi war criminals ?
    Aren't they allowed some form of due process before something gets taken away from them?
    Yes it is disturbing and very revealing of a totally two faced approach to these matters. I think you will find that the term "suspected" is euphemistic and that the US is not keen to explain openly how these known criminals got to live in the US to start with. You will also find that the US is no friend of the international criminal court in which the crimes of these Nazis would be (or would have been) tried.
  13. 03 Jan '15 16:00
    Yes it is disturbing and very revealing of a totally two faced approach to these matters. I think you will find that the term "suspected" is euphemistic and that the US is not keen to explain openly how these known criminals got to live in the US to start with. You will also find that the US is no friend of the international criminal court in which the crimes of these Nazis would be (or would have been) tried.
    Yes I see your point about the suspected/euphemism thing.

Do you think Werner Von Braun would lose his social security if he were alive today?
  14. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    03 Jan '15 16:23
    I'm just left wondering who this applies to. To be a Nazi War Criminal one would have to be at the very least 16 in 1945, so born in 1929. This would make the very youngest of them 85. While I'm sure there are some 85 year old former members of the Nazi party knocking about they can't have been very senior in the 1945 Nazi administration. If there's a war crime to account for then they should be prosecuted now and should have been prosecuted in the 1940's and if it is just a matter of membership of the Hitler Youth they shouldn't, either way I think extra-judicial sanctions are wrong.
  15. 03 Jan '15 16:33
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    I'm just left wondering who this applies to. To be a Nazi War Criminal one would have to be at the very least 16 in 1945, so born in 1929. This would make the very youngest of them 85. While I'm sure there are some 85 year old former members of the Nazi party knocking about they can't have been very senior in the 1945 Nazi administration. If there's ...[text shortened]... rship of the Hitler Youth they shouldn't, either way I think extra-judicial sanctions are wrong.
    Yes everybody had that figured out it's just a mental exercise in WTF at this point.
    The problem isn't that a handful of 90-100 year olds leftover from WW2 are getting their benefits taken away.
    The problem is the government is doing it because they are "suspected" without it being proven and denying them due process before taking something away from them.
    Where's the ACLU and SPLC when you need them?