Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 17 Jul '10 19:31
    "Reparations for slavery? Or discrimination against light-skinned citizens?"

    On Geralgo the other night I saw the "leader" of the "New Black Panther Party" spouting this tired old rhetoric.

    Reparations for descendants of slaves in the U.S.
    "White Americans should pay for sins of their fathers"?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    17 Jul '10 19:38
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    "Reparations for slavery? Or discrimination against light-skinned citizens?"

    On Geralgo the other night I saw the "leader" of the "New Black Panther Party" spouting this tired old rhetoric.

    Reparations for descendants of slaves in the U.S.
    "White Americans should pay for sins of their fathers"?
    The kind of "Reparations" I'd favour would be increased investment in education and health, nationwide, applicable to all.
  3. 17 Jul '10 19:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The kind of "Reparations" I'd favour would be increased investment in education and health, nationwide, applicable to all.
    I dont know if you are aware of the ins and outs of "affirmative action" but the U.S. has bent over backwards to repair any perceived notion of discrimatory practices regarding education and employment for black americans. To the point of discreminating against whites. I am sure some will argue that though.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    17 Jul '10 19:51
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [The] U.S. has bent over backwards to repair any perceived notion of discrimatory practices regarding education and employment for black americans...
    Without a satisfactory degree of success, clearly. Increased investment in education and health, I say, nationwide, applicable to all Americans, with equality of opportunity as the goal!
  5. 17 Jul '10 20:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    The kind of "Reparations" I'd favour would be increased investment in education and health, nationwide, applicable to all.
    You mean like this?

    http://www.amren.com/ar/1995/12/

    It didn't work.

    Bussing students from one area into another didn't work either, that's been going on for almost 50 years, all it does is destroy the schools that were good. I speak from experience.
  6. 17 Jul '10 20:58
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    You mean like this?

    http://www.amren.com/ar/1995/12/

    It didn't work.

    Bussing students from one area into another didn't work either, that's been going on for almost 50 years, all it does is destroy the schools that were good. I speak from experience.
    Either they are little college punk americans or socialist europeans who dont know their asses from a hole in the ground that are gonna make judgement calls on U.S. history and or politics. Oh, oh I almost forgot to include no1moron and ringwett and bad moon . "dope smoking acid dropping libs."
  7. 17 Jul '10 21:17
    Busing students isn't equal education. The students on my stepbrother's side of town have the best of everything -- state of the art computer lab, "specials" (the arts, PE, etc.), nice building, nice materials, smart boards, etc. My school -- same district -- computer lab is only for those few in remedial math. No specials. No arts. Half the school is in trailers and that area turns into a flood zone in the rain. Fun traipsing through deep puddles to take a class to the trailer that's the restroom. The parents don't buy the school supplies; the teachers do. My one computer has a floppy drive and is older than the students. The server on our part of town is down often and slow the rest of the time. There is no equal education in my district. No, they don't need to move the kids; they need to move the money. All the schools in the district should have the same resources.
  8. 17 Jul '10 21:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Busing students isn't equal education. The students on my stepbrother's side of town have the best of everything -- state of the art computer lab, "specials" (the arts, PE, etc.), nice building, nice materials, smart boards, etc. My school -- same district -- computer lab is only for those few in remedial math. No specials. No arts. Half the school need to move the money. All the schools in the district should have the same resources.
    Where is this?the state only will suffice.
  9. 17 Jul '10 22:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    Without a satisfactory degree of success, clearly. Increased investment in education and health, I say, nationwide, applicable to all Americans, with equality of opportunity as the goal!
    Lol,, Affirmative action kept me out of three apprenticeships in my younger days...
    Need to have minorities... ok,, well I'm a third generation Finlander, and doubt my family was in the slave business..... so let me in dang it.
  10. 17 Jul '10 22:05 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Lol,, Affirmative action kept me out of three apprenticeships in my younger days...
    Need to have minorities... ok,, well I'm a third generation Finlander, and doubt my family was in the slave business..... so let me in dang it.
    Thank you! You were discriminated against because you have light skin.

    (maybe thats the social justice they are always talking about) lol
  11. 18 Jul '10 03:23
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Where is this?the state only will suffice.
    Arizona, home of the cretinous state legislature and a governor who makes Sarah Palin look bright.
  12. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 Jul '10 03:46
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    Lol,, Affirmative action kept me out of three apprenticeships in my younger days...
    How do you manage to equate "Increased investment in education and health - nationwide - applicable to all Americans - the goal: equality of opportunity" with "Affirmative Action" in your mind?
  13. 18 Jul '10 03:48 / 5 edits
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Busing students isn't equal education. The students on my stepbrother's side of town have the best of everything -- state of the art computer lab, "specials" (the arts, PE, etc.), nice building, nice materials, smart boards, etc. My school -- same district -- computer lab is only for those few in remedial math. No specials. No arts. Half the school need to move the money. All the schools in the district should have the same resources.
    Very nice story.


    Since you claim both schools are in the same district the funding would be the same per school depending on number of students.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 Jul '10 04:21
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Either they are little college punk americans or socialist europeans who dont know their asses from a hole in the ground that are gonna make judgement calls on U.S. history and or politics. Oh, oh I almost forgot to include no1moron and ringwett and bad moon . "dope smoking acid dropping libs."
    Don't forget me! My ignorance and intellectual dishonesty are legendary.
  15. 18 Jul '10 04:22
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Don't forget me! My ignorance and intellectual dishonesty are legendary.
    Not to mention your ability to engage in doublethink.