1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well of course you can compare the two. And you did. "Difficulty would be far greater w/ N.Korea". So there we have it. How long do you think it would take for the U.S./R.O.K. to defeat DPRK and install a new regime with China militarily opposing it and without the deployment of nuclear weapons?
    Why install a new regime? I say, leave them in ashes and be done with it.
    Or, let the ROK take over the whole thing.
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "consequence" should there have been to your way of thinking?
    I'm pretty sure we or the S. Koreans could have found a N. Korean ship to sink.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:09
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    That is another thing differing from Iraq or Afghanistan. We would be fighting alongside Koreans to liberate their northern brethren. I'll bet there are a whole lot of N. Koreans if given the choice they would prefer the S. Korean government and prosperity to the N. Korean tyranny.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:101 edit
    How long do you think it would take for the U.S./R.O.K. to defeat DPRK [and not necessarily install a new regime] with China militarily opposing it and without the deployment of nuclear weapons?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:10
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I'm pretty sure we or the S. Koreans could have found a N. Korean ship to sink.
    Are you being serious?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:15
    That is another thing differing from Iraq or Afghanistan. We would be fighting alongside Koreans to liberate their northern brethren. I'll bet there are a whole lot of N. Koreans if given the choice they would prefer the S. Korean government and prosperity to the N. Korean tyranny.
    I agree. However I'm not sure it would apply to the military so much as it would apply to the rest of the population.
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    How long do you think it would take for the U.S./R.O.K. to defeat DPRK [and not necessarily install a new regime] with China militarily opposing it and without the deployment of nuclear weapons?
    Its really hard to say. It would all depend on D.C. and the way they would let the military operate.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:19
    Its really hard to say. It would all depend on D.C. and the way they would let the military operate.
    So? Hard to say or not hard to say, what is your theory?

Are we talking 4 weeks, 4 months or 4 years - assuming that the U.S. still has its armies in the field in Afghanistan and in Iraq?
  9. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    I agree. However I'm not sure it would apply to the military so much as it would apply to the rest of the population.
    I don't think the N. Korean conscripted military is particularly loyal. They aren't even fed very well.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you being serious?
    Absolutely! The schoolyard bully is usually stopped when his nose get bloodied.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:24
    I don't think the N. Korean conscripted military is particularly loyal. They aren't even fed very well.
    If they are not particularly loyal why don't they, in all their hundreds and hundreds of thousands, elect to rebel and demand the S. Korean way of life and prosperity and instead endure N. Korean tyranny right now?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:26
    The schoolyard bully is usually stopped when his nose get bloodied.
    You think the U.S. or the S. Koreans finding a N. Korean ship and sinking it would stop N.Korea? Stop them from what?
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:401 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    So? Hard to say or not hard to say, what is your theory?

Are we talking 4 weeks, 4 months or 4 years - assuming that the U.S. still has its armies in the field in Afghanistan and in Iraq?
    I would say a few months.
    They have no air force to speak of ,no navy. they dont have the resources to fight a long war. their troops and civilians are starving. I believe our navy alone could bomb them into submission.

Now with China "opposed" to it, I dont know what you mean. fighting us militarily? I doubt that would happen
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:45
    I would say a few months.
    Thanks.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Jul '10 01:50
    Now with China "opposed" to it, I dont know what you mean. fighting us militarily? I doubt that would happen
    Your hypothetical involves China standing by without acting as its global rival attacks a country along the Chinese border and one that China more or less 'sponsors'?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree