Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    06 Jan '15 14:03
    It seems a vast number of those on debate forum are not American.

    Still, the majority of conversation is U.S. related. A large number of threads are started about U.S. topics, but also those threads that seem to be about topics germane to the rest of the world, from their titles, seem to invariably center on U.S. action or responses. If debate does not start with U.S. it normally will finish there.

    As a reader of RHP debate forum, this 'norm' seems odd to me.

    I would like to ask some veterans of this forum make sense of this. Or will it be what seems to be the standard M.O. and attack me for my audacity of mentioning the obvious, incorrect punctuation or the like.

    Thank you.
  2. 06 Jan '15 14:08
    the debate forum is actually "us politics"
  3. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    06 Jan '15 14:17
    Originally posted by Quarl
    It seems a vast number of those on debate forum are not American.

    Still, the majority of conversation is U.S. related. A large number of threads are started about U.S. topics, but also those threads that seem to be about topics germane to the rest of the world, from their titles, seem to invariably center on U.S. action or responses. If debate does not sta ...[text shortened]... for my audacity of mentioning the obvious, incorrect punctuation or the like.[/i]

    Thank you.
    You split an infinitive in the second paragraph.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jan '15 14:18
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    You split an infinitive in the second paragraph.
    LOL!
  5. 06 Jan '15 14:23
    It's easy to explain. Europeans know about the US, but Americans don't know about Europe.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jan '15 14:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Quarl
    It seems a vast number of those on debate forum are not American.

    Still, the majority of conversation is U.S. related. A large number of threads are started about U.S. topics, but also those threads that seem to be about topics germane to the rest of the world, from their titles, seem to invariably center on U.S. action or responses. If debate does not sta ...[text shortened]... k me for my audacity of mentioning the obvious, incorrect punctuation or the like.

    Thank you.
    Then do something about it!

    I once tried to post a bunch of non-US related threads and others have tried such initiatives in the past. It may last for a few days, but threads inevitably come back around to US issues.

    Anyway, this is a user-controlled forum. We provide the content. If you want more discussion on Europe, Asia, Africa, etc., then start the threads and make it happen. I'm certainly game to discuss issues not related to the US.
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    06 Jan '15 15:00
    Originally posted by Quarl
    It seems a vast number of those on debate forum are not American.

    Still, the majority of conversation is U.S. related. A large number of threads are started about U.S. topics, but also those threads that seem to be about topics germane to the rest of the world, from their titles, seem to invariably center on U.S. action or responses. If debate does not sta ...[text shortened]... k me for my audacity of mentioning the obvious, incorrect punctuation or the like.

    Thank you.
    There is not a vast number of people on the debate forum. It has a very small group of regular contributors, with occasional visits from less frequent visitors. A tiny minority are people who get themselves banned then return with a fresh ID for a while.

    I noticed in a technical discussion about the site that a large proportion of RHP subscribers are in fact from the eastern US states.

    With the regular contributors, the scope for going outside a narrow range of topics can be limited. It is a bit like the Spirituality forum, except instead of endless headbanging about Creationism we enjoy endless headbanging about neoliberalism. However, it is always a good place to throw up new examples of the insanity that is the state of Israel or about universal health care - the responses are predictable.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    06 Jan '15 17:32
    The Queen is being talked about.

    We could discuss Greece leaving the EU.

    The IRA is always good for stirring up the forum. And of course Nazis.

    Russia and Ukraine is another good topic.

    Until recently there was the Scottish and Catalonian independence movements.
  9. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    06 Jan '15 17:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The Queen is being talked about.

    We could discuss Greece leaving the EU.

    The IRA is always good for stirring up the forum. And of course Nazis.

    Russia and Ukraine is another good topic.

    Until recently there was the Scottish and Catalonian independence movements.
    As well as the thread on oil and the one on Pistorius' trial a little while ago. Maybe we should have one on "What have the Romans ever done for us?".

    In fairness to Quarl, the forum is dominated by threads on US issues. Partly I think that is because, as finnegan noted, the site has a lot of Americans. Partly it's because the U.S. is the most powerful country and as a consequence generates the most debate. If Britain were still top dog I suspect most of the debates would be about Imperial actions around the globe. There are also some idiosyncrasies about the US which generate debate - the large number of guns in the U.S. generates incidents on a regular basis and they give us something to talk about.
  10. 06 Jan '15 18:20
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    As well as the thread on oil and the one on Pistorius' trial a little while ago. Maybe we should have one on "What have the Romans ever done for us?".

    In fairness to Quarl, the forum is dominated by threads on US issues. Partly I think that is because, as finnegan noted, the site has a lot of Americans. Partly it's because the U.S. is the most powe ...[text shortened]... uns in the U.S. generates incidents on a regular basis and they give us something to talk about.
    The US is one of the few large, powerful nations that leaves (at least nominally) some freedom of expression and decision to its individual people. Most of the rest of the world, and a great many Americans have forgotten this, and want to put everything in the hands of an all powerful central government, from education to health care. Socialism is the watchword, or democracy, or the two together.

    It is no surprise that those outside the US generally look at our policies as backward, and strange that some Americans still value liberty and the right to choose.
  11. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    06 Jan '15 18:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The US is one of the few large, powerful nations that leaves (at least nominally) some freedom of expression and decision to its individual people. Most of the rest of the world, and a great many Americans have forgotten this, and want to put everything in the hands of an all powerful central government, from education to health care. Socialism is the w ...[text shortened]... licies as backward, and strange that some Americans still value liberty and the right to choose.
    some Americans still value liberty and the right to choose but only for themselves and not for others, and not democracy it seems and not the rule of law and not concern for their neighbour's welfare and not concern about their negative impact on others and not their physical environment.
  12. 06 Jan '15 18:50
    Originally posted by finnegan
    some Americans still value liberty and the right to choose but only for themselves and not for others, and not democracy it seems and not the rule of law and not concern for their neighbour's welfare and not concern about their negative impact on others and not their physical environment.
    Then we agree that selfishness, or as Rand would put it rational self interest is a major human motivation. For that reason, it is important that it not be rendered useless, except in those cases where it clearly violates the rights of another. Government gone wild, responding to the democratic wishes of factions whether they be rich or poor is bad government, overreaching government.
  13. Donation mwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    06 Jan '15 19:13
    As most people know, it's all about us.

    We invented the internet. We invented politics. We invented slavery. We invented guns and then gun control. We invented racism. We invented war and terrorism. We invented raping and pillaging when conquering a nation. We invented religion. We invented global warming and air pollution. We invented illegal immigrants. We invented capital punishment. We invented vegamite, kimchee and escargot. (Oh wait, no, we didn't do those ..!)

    And we managed to do all that and more in just a couple hundred years! So what has anyone else done that is worth debating about?!
  14. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    06 Jan '15 20:06
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    You split an infinitive in the second paragraph.
    Thank you.
  15. Standard member Quarl
    Quarl
    06 Jan '15 20:18
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    As most people know, it's all about us.

    We invented the internet. We invented politics. We invented slavery. We invented guns and then gun control. We invented racism. We invented war and terrorism. We invented raping and pillaging when conquering a nation. We invented religion. We invented global warming and air pollution. We invented illegal immigrants ...[text shortened]... in just a couple hundred years! So what has anyone else done that is worth debating about?!
    Thank you. You have provided ultimate clarity to my question. Now I understand.