Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Jun '13 01:25 / 1 edit
    June 12, 2013
    WASHINGTON (AP) — The director of the National Security Agency vigorously defended once-secret surveillance programs as an effective tool in keeping America safe, telling Congress on Wednesday that the information collected disrupted dozens of terrorist attacks . . .

"I do think it's important that we get this right and I want the American people to know that we're trying to be transparent here, protect civil liberties and privacy but also the security of this country," Alexander told a Senate panel.

He described the steps the government takes once it suspects a terrorist organization is about to act — all within the laws approved by Congress and under stringent oversight from the courts. . . .

Half a world away, Edward Snowden, the former contractor who fled to Hong Kong and leaked documents about the programs, said he would fight any U.S. attempts to extradite him. American law enforcement officials are building a case against him but have yet to bring charges. . . .

House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said Wednesday that the programs are constitutional and "very important to the security of the American people and they help us in a big way to address the terrorist threat that does in fact remain." . . .

Recent polling on the issue found Americans troubled by the intrusion but perhaps willing to give the government even more leeway in its efforts to fight terrorism.

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/NSA-director-Programs-disrupted-dozens-of-attacks-4595373.php
  2. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    13 Jun '13 02:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by moon1969
    June 12, 2013
    [quote]WASHINGTON (AP) — The director of the National Security Agency vigorously defended once-secret surveillance programs as an effective tool in keeping America safe, telling Congress on Wednesday that the information collected disrupted dozens of terrorist attacks . . .

"I do think it's important that we get this right and I want the on.com/news/politics/article/NSA-director-Programs-disrupted-dozens-of-attacks-4595373.php
    Well it must be true, because the Director of the NSA said it. The Director of the NSA would never lie to the American people.

Oh, wait. He did.

"It now appears clear that the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, lied under oath to Congress and the American people," Amash posted on Wednesday morning. "Members of Congress can't make informed decisions on intelligence issues when the head of the intelligence community wilfully makes false statements. Perjury is a serious crime. Mr Clapper should resign immediately."

At a hearing of the Senate intelligence committee on 12 March, Oregon Democrat Ron Wyden grew frustrated that he could not get a "direct answer" from Clapper about a question Wyden said he had been posing to the intelligence agencies in a series of letters for a year: when do US spies need a warrant to surveil Americans' communications?

"What I wanted to see is if you could give me a yes or no answer to the question: does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?" Wyden asked Clapper.

"No, sir," Clapper said. "Not wittingly. There are cases where they could inadvertently, perhaps, collect, but not wittingly."
  3. Standard member empovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    13 Jun '13 05:44
    yes, lets trust the guy that spies on all of us

go back to sleep america, nothing to see here
  4. 13 Jun '13 08:48
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Well it must be true, because the Director of the NSA said it. The Director of the NSA would never lie to the American people.
    What specifically do you accuse Alexander of lying about? Any evidence?
  5. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    13 Jun '13 12:09
    What specifically do you accuse Alexander of lying about? Any evidence?
    First of all, his name is Clapper. It's right there in my OP, genius. Second - I didn't accuse him of anything. A sitting member of Congress did. Third - evidence? Reread the OP. Sound out the words if you have to. And put your helmet back on or you'll wind up with a knot on your head like last time, and if you don't stop fussing, you'll have to go stay with the mean men who wear white again.
  6. 13 Jun '13 13:07
    Barry says that we should trust them or else there will be problems. Just smoke and mirrors to get us to go along with the take over of the United States and then the rest of the world.
  7. 13 Jun '13 19:17
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    First of all, his name is Clapper. It's right there in my OP, genius. Second - I didn't accuse him of anything. A sitting member of Congress did. Third - evidence? Reread the OP. Sound out the words if you have to. And put your helmet back on or you'll wind up with a knot on your head like last time, and if you don't stop fussing, you'll have to go stay with the mean men who wear white again.
    The original post is about testimony made by the Director of the National Security Agency, Keith B. Alexander. Any evidence that Alexander lied?

http://swampland.time.com/2013/06/12/nsa-director-programs-disrupted-dozens-of-attacks/
  8. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    13 Jun '13 21:22
    The original post is about testimony made by the Director of the National Security Agency, Keith B. Alexander. Any evidence that Alexander lied?

http://swampland.time.com/2013/06/12/nsa-director-programs-disrupted-dozens-of-attacks/
    As I previously stated: Alexander, to my very limited knowledge, did not lie. However, James Clapper did, under oath, and admitted it. Address that.