Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Mar '11 10:54
    Reports are still sketchy, but apparently the earthquake has caused damage to a Japanese nuclear power plant which is now leaking significant amounts of radiation. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42044156/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

    Of course, this is impossible according to nuclear power proponents on this board (modern plants cannot have accidents like Chernoybl), so please disregard this obviously false story and go back to sleep. Indeed, we have the word of non-RHP experts on this:

    Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo.

    "Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion."

    Of course, that was before the explosion ..........................
  2. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    12 Mar '11 12:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Reports are still sketchy, but apparently the earthquake has caused damage to a Japanese nuclear power plant which is now leaking significant amounts of radiation. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42044156/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

    Of course, this is impossible according to nuclear power proponents on this board (modern plants cannot have acc xplosion."

    Of course, that was before the explosion ..........................
    Frightening and very sad for the country.

    I am very pro nuclear, but to claim that accidents can't happen is reflective of a mindset destined to drive complacency and inevitably disaster.
  3. 12 Mar '11 12:36 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Reports are still sketchy, but apparently the earthquake has caused damage to a Japanese nuclear power plant which is now leaking significant amounts of radiation. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42044156/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

    Of course, this is impossible according to nuclear power proponents on this board (modern plants cannot have acc xplosion."

    Of course, that was before the explosion ..........................
    You would think that the Japanese would have adapted to large amounts of radiation by now......

    I know, I know, it was a bad joke. Blah!!!!

    I will just say that accidents will happen, but by in large nuclear power is used safely around the world. I would just ask, what is more preferable? Is it more preferable to try and be the world's policeman to try and secure oil reserves around the globe while losing countless lives in the process or is it better to try and become energy independent?
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Mar '11 13:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    You would think that the Japanese would have adapted to large amounts of radiation by now......

    I know, I know, it was a bad joke. Blah!!!!

    I will just say that accidents will happen, but by in large nuclear power is used safely around the world. I would just ask, what is more preferable? Is it more preferable to try and be the world's policeman to t ...[text shortened]... ile losing countless lives in the process or is it better to try and become energy independent?
    It's better to become energy independent without using nuclear power.

    There's got to be a safer way to boil water.
  5. 12 Mar '11 13:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's better to become energy independent without using nuclear power.
    Return to the horse and buggy?
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Mar '11 13:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Return to the horse and buggy?
    Sure that's the only other possible option.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Mar '11 13:49
    In related news, Republicans have discovered that the guvmint is wasting untold billions of taxpayer money on such tomfool gadgets as Tsunami Warning Centers and as wisely voted to do away with such nonsense. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42033145/ns/politics-capitol_hill/
  8. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    12 Mar '11 13:54
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's better to become energy independent without using nuclear power.

    There's got to be a safer way to boil water.
    If anything you're selling nuclear power. Japan lays on a fault line, find a place not prone to earth quakes and go for it.
  9. 12 Mar '11 14:12
    From the BBC site.

    #
    1316: Noriyuki Shikata, deputy cabinet secretary for public relations for the Japanese prime minister tweets: "Blast was caused by accumulated hydrogen combined with oxygen in the space between container and outer structure. No damage to container."

    So it seems that the reactor itself has not been damaged, though the situation obviously remains dangerous. There are also reports of elevated radioactivity just outside the power plants, but no details on how much/how far. It certainly does raise some concerns about the safety of nuclear power plants, though I'd like to see how the situation evolves before passing final judgement.

    So far it doesn't change my position in that I still believe that nuclear energy is a necessity while the transition between fossil fuels and alternative/renewable energy sources is made.

    I'm not going to participate further in this debate as this is what would happen (and probably still will, just with someone else).

    Someone will post interesting (no sarcasm) links regarding alternative energy sources. While these certainly have potential, they are still unproven and will require quite some time before they can actually be used in practice.

    I will counter that these are certainly interesting in the medium/long term, but are no solution if we want to reduce dependency on fossil fuels now.

    Someone will calm me a close-minded idiot and suggest I have been brainwashed by the nuclear lobby.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Mar '11 14:36
    Originally posted by Barts
    From the BBC site.

    #
    1316: Noriyuki Shikata, deputy cabinet secretary for public relations for the Japanese prime minister tweets: "Blast was caused by accumulated hydrogen combined with oxygen in the space between container and outer structure. No damage to container."

    So it seems that the reactor itself has not been damaged, though the situation obvio ...[text shortened]... will calm me a close-minded idiot and suggest I have been brainwashed by the nuclear lobby.
    Tweets from the deputy cabinet secretary for public relations might not be the most reliable source of information regarding this matter.
  11. 12 Mar '11 14:47
    It's not an accident "like Chernobyl".
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Mar '11 14:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    It's not an accident "like Chernobyl".
    Cross your fingers. If the explosion damaged the core containment vessel or if later quakes do, the effect will be similar. And even if it doesn't, it shows that such a disaster remains possible despite enhanced safety measures and protocols undertaken in the last 25 years.
  13. 12 Mar '11 15:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Cross your fingers. If the explosion damaged the core containment vessel or if later quakes do, the effect will be similar. And even if it doesn't, it shows that such a disaster remains possible despite enhanced safety measures and protocols undertaken in the last 25 years.
    Of course, but we knew that already.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Mar '11 15:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Of course, but we knew that already.
    Really? Hold on a sec.

    EDIT: I have to get ready for the St. Patrick's Day Parade and need to leave, but I rather clearly remember a thread where we were discussing nuclear power and several posters insisted that a Chernobyl like accident was "impossible" in power plants now with enhanced safety features and protocols (I thought you were one of them). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate it doing a quick search (searches of these forums for content is very difficult). Maybe tomorrow.
  15. Subscriber WoodPush
    Pusher of wood
    12 Mar '11 16:33
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Of course, this is impossible according to nuclear power proponents on this board (modern plants cannot have accidents like Chernoybl), so please disregard this obviously false story and go back to sleep.
    Fukushima Dai-ichi was built in 1966, commissioned in 1971. Chernobyl was commisioned in 1977.

    Is this really a good example of a "modern" power plant design?