Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 May '10 01:24 / 1 edit
    I hear it's snowing in Hell and the Cubs are closing in on winning the World Series.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/us/politics/25baker.html?hp

    For three months, the White House has refused to say whether it offered a job to Representative Joe Sestak to get him to drop his challenge to Senator Arlen Specter in a Pennsylvania Democratic primary, as Mr. Sestak has asserted.

    But the White House wants everyone who suspects that something untoward, or even illegal, might have happened to rest easy: though it still will not reveal what happened, the White House ensures that it has examined its own actions and decided it did nothing wrong. Whatever it was that it did.

    “Lawyers in the White House and others have looked into conversations that were had with Congressman Sestak,” Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, said Sunday on “Face the Nation” on CBS. “And nothing inappropriate happened.”

    “Improper or not, did you offer him a job in the administration?” asked the host, Bob Schieffer.

    “I’m not going to get further into what the conversations were,” Mr. Gibbs replied. “People that have looked into them assure me that they weren’t inappropriate in any way.”

    Perhaps unsurprisingly, the “trust us” response from the White House has not exactly put the matter to rest. With Mr. Sestak’s victory over Mr. Specter in last week’s primary, the questions have returned with intensity, only to remain unanswered.

    Mr. Gibbs deflected questions 13 times at a White House briefing last week just two days after the primary. Mr. Sestak, a retired admiral, has reaffirmed his assertion without providing any details, like who exactly offered what job.

    etc.


    "Lawyers in the White House and others have looked into conversations that were had with Congressman Sestak" Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, said Sunday on “Face the Nation” on CBS. “And nothing inappropriate happened.”

    LOL. We've looked into our own conduct and have concluded that we are innocent. Weak, Bob. Weak!

    Now, I don't know if what the WH did was illegal. But I do know it's embarrassing... trying to save your 80 year old has been's sorry behind at the expense of an up-and-comer all because he sold his soul to you last year in a desperate attempt to hang on.

    But what the administration should learn from the pages on history...

    It's not the event that kills you; it's the cover-up that kills you.
  2. 25 May '10 01:38 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    I hear it's snowing in Hell and the Cubs are closing in on winning the World Series.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/us/politics/25baker.html?hp

    [i]For three months, the White House has refused to say whether it offered a job to Representative Joe Sestak to get him to drop his challenge to Senator Arlen Specter in a Pennsylvania Democratic primary, as M s on history...

    It's not the event that kills you; it's the cover-up that kills you.
    Where is your faith in your President sh76?

    It kinda reminds me of Al Gore getting drilled by the press regarding improper campaign contributions received for their political campaigns. He said, with a straight face I might add, "We did nothing wrong, and it will never happen again."

    I kid you not!!

    What needs to be done is for an independent party to come in and require Sestak to back his claims by giving the details. That way the independent committee can determine if any wrong doing occurred. Of course, where are you going to get this independent committee in the presence of "the Machine" which is all powerful and all knowing?
  3. 25 May '10 03:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    I hear it's snowing in Hell and the Cubs are closing in on winning the World Series.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/us/politics/25baker.html?hp

    [i]For three months, the White House has refused to say whether it offered a job to Representative Joe Sestak to get him to drop his challenge to Senator Arlen Specter in a Pennsylvania Democratic primary, as M ...[text shortened]... s on history...

    It's not the event that kills you; it's the cover-up that kills you.
    i'm sure Arlen Spector has a beautiful behind.

    just ask Granny.
  4. 25 May '10 11:38
    If I may shed some LIGHT on the situation as to why both Sestak and the White House are not talking about the situation.

    John 3:19 "On these gounds pronounced: that though the light has come into the world men have shown they prefer darkness to the light because their deeds were evil.. And indeed, everyone who does wrong hates the light and avoids it, for fear his actions should be exposed. But the man who lives by the truth comes out into the light, so that it may be plaintly seen that what he does is done in God."
  5. 25 May '10 18:08
    Originally posted by sh76
    I hear it's snowing in Hell and the Cubs are closing in on winning the World Series.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/us/politics/25baker.html?hp

    [i]For three months, the White House has refused to say whether it offered a job to Representative Joe Sestak to get him to drop his challenge to Senator Arlen Specter in a Pennsylvania Democratic primary, as M ...[text shortened]... s on history...

    It's not the event that kills you; it's the cover-up that kills you.
    wait a minute, I thought the white house could do no wrong according to the NY times.

    it really must be snowing in hell.
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    25 May '10 18:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    LOL. We've looked into our own conduct and have concluded that we are innocent. Weak, Bob. Weak!
    Why do I keep imagining Israel when I read this?
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 May '10 18:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Why do I keep imagining Israel when I read this?
    Gee, I dunno.

    Why do you?
  8. 25 May '10 19:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Gee, I dunno.

    Why do you?
    isn't it obvious?

    Israel has a pretty gruesome record of oppression and overall bad conduct, and yet for some reason they insist they've done nothing wrong. ATY's comment is understandable.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    25 May '10 23:04
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    isn't it obvious?

    Israel has a pretty gruesome record of oppression and overall bad conduct, and yet for some reason they insist they've done nothing wrong. ATY's comment is understandable.
    First of all, the Israeli military and justice system has found that the IDF has acted improperly at times. The fact that the UN finds them to have acted improperly every time a citizen draws a breath doesn't make it so.

    Second of all, this case is about trying to rig a Senate election; that is about staying in existence. Hardly a valid comparison.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    25 May '10 23:27
    Originally posted by sh76
    First of all, the Israeli military and justice system has found that the IDF has acted improperly at times. The fact that the UN finds them to have acted improperly every time a citizen draws a breath doesn't make it so.

    Second of all, this case is about trying to rig a Senate election; that is about staying in existence. Hardly a valid comparison.
    Israel and its defenders' paranoia borders on the psychotic.
  11. 26 May '10 02:40
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    isn't it obvious?

    Israel has a pretty gruesome record of oppression and overall bad conduct, and yet for some reason they insist they've done nothing wrong. ATY's comment is understandable.
    So who does think that they are wrong about anything? Which country? Which leader? In fact, which poster here at RHP?

    Ok kids, it appears that this thread has been officially hijacked. I'm sure that all of you Obama groupies are just sad about that, eh? It's not often a thread to bash Obama is created and not one person can offer a rebuttal. The silence is deafening.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 May '10 05:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    So who does think that they are wrong about anything? Which country? Which leader? In fact, which poster here at RHP?

    Ok kids, it appears that this thread has been officially hijacked. I'm sure that all of you Obama groupies are just sad about that, eh? It's not often a thread to bash Obama is created and not one person can offer a rebuttal. The silence is deafening.
    This thread doesn't belong here anyway. What's the topic of debate?
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 May '10 13:19
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    This thread doesn't belong here anyway. What's the topic of debate?
    The topic of debate is whether the NY Times is correct and whether the Obama Administration's response and conduct in the Sestak job affair has been appropriate.
  14. 26 May '10 16:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    First of all, the Israeli military and justice system has found that the IDF has acted improperly at times. The fact that the UN finds them to have acted improperly every time a citizen draws a breath doesn't make it so.

    Second of all, this case is about trying to rig a Senate election; that is about staying in existence. Hardly a valid comparison.
    1. Yes, but only because of international pressure (lets be honest)
    2. Really? You seem to have a rather negative view of the UN, Im not sure it is justified.

    He wasn't comparing, he just said it reminded him of israel.
  15. 26 May '10 16:40
    Originally posted by sh76
    The topic of debate is whether the NY Times is correct and whether the Obama Administration's response and conduct in the Sestak job affair has been appropriate.
    And it would appear that there's broad agreement that the NY Times is indeed correct and that Obama's response has indeed been lacking. The whole thing has a very unsavory odor.

    The problem with this type of thing is that it's almost impossible to find that smoking gun. Only very rarely does someone (like Rod Blagojevich) come right out and declare their intentions.