Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 14 Feb '12 20:26
    Unless the economy tanks or he gets caught in bed with a 14-year-old, it looks like he's going to cruise to an easy win over Santorum. E-trade has him at 60 percent, and he's doing very well in the swing states.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/02/obama-improving-in-swing-states-too.php?ref=fpb

So the question is whether the Democrats can gain ground in the House and hold onto the Senate. Tall order, even with Warren beating Brown in the polls.
  2. 14 Feb '12 23:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Unless the economy tanks or he gets caught in bed with a 14-year-old, it looks like he's going to cruise to an easy win over Santorum. E-trade has him at 60 percent, and he's doing very well in the swing states.

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/02/obama-improving-in-swing-states-too.php?ref=fpb

So the question is whether the Democrats can gain gr ...[text shortened]... the House and hold onto the Senate. Tall order, even with Warren beating Brown in the polls.
    Getting a majority in the House would be nice.

As for the senate, one problem is that with the Republicans as incredibly obstructionist and the party of no, and with their standard and frequent use of Senate ruels and procedures only rarely used in the past, the Democrats need 60 members in the Senate.
  3. 15 Feb '12 00:42

So the question is whether the Democrats can gain gr ...[text shortened]... the House and hold onto the Senate. Tall order, even with Warren beating Brown in the polls.
    You people are very deluded. And still stuck on the Kool-aid, I see.
    You'r chosen one is finished.

The economy is in the tank. Speaking of tank, look at the gas prices and where they are heading. $4 pr gal.+

The hallowing out of our military. Antagonizing Catholics and the entire Christian base. The Jewish vote for his attitude towards Isreal. The sky rocketing deficit (and today he proposes to spend more), unemployment,etc are all examples of things that are spelling his doom at re-election.

Voters tend to blame Presidents for these things.
    All I got to say is, Keep dreaming. Did 2010 teach you nothing ?
  4. 15 Feb '12 01:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

The economy is in the tank. Speaking of tank, look at the gas prices and where they are heading. $4 pr gal.+

The hallowing out of our military. Antagonizing Catholics and the entire Christian base. The Jewish vote for his attitude towards Isreal ...[text shortened]... Presidents for these things.
    Normally I would agree with your analysis but the striking fact is that the independents and swing voters who decide the general election, while not overly happy with Obama, dislike more (or are scared of) the Republican candidates. Further, also strikingly, is the mounting perception amongt independents and swing voters that the economy is now finally improving and moving in the right direction, which always helps a sitting president at election time. The latest national polls for head-to-head:

Obama 49 Romney 43
    Obama 52 Gingrich 39
    Obama 50 Santorum 41
    Obama 49 Paul 39

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/president/president_obama_vs_republican_candidates.html

Moreover, American Catholics and Jewish Americans still support the President more than the general electorate. The contraception issue will actually hurt the Republicans with the independents and swing voters. Further, as for specific groups, the Republicans are hammering themselves with respect to Latino voters, for example, with the Republican harsh rhetoric about immigration.
  5. 15 Feb '12 02:29
    Things are so bad that the only hope Obama has is the GOP to get elected once again.
  6. 15 Feb '12 02:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    Things are so bad that the only hope Obama has is the GOP to get elected once again.
    Well-said.
  7. 15 Feb '12 04:02
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

The hallowing out of our military. Antagonizing Catholics and the entire Christian base. The Jewish vote for his attitude towards Isreal ...[text shortened]... Presidents for these things.
    That was then. This is now. Whether deserved or not, Obama's message that the Republicans obstructed recovery resonated, and his popularity has increased steadily as the unemployment rate has shrunken. The Party of No is in trouble.
  8. 15 Feb '12 04:03
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Normally I would agree with your analysis but the striking fact is that the independents and swing voters who decide the general election, while not overly happy with Obama, dislike more (or are scared of) the Republican candidates. Further, also strikingly, is the mounting perception amongt independents and swing voters that the economy is now finally imp ...[text shortened]... ith respect to Latino voters, for example, with the Republican harsh rhetoric about immigration.
    The contraception issue is already splitting the GOP. The moderates don't want that fight.
  9. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    15 Feb '12 05:00
    So the question is whether the Democrats can gain ground in the House and hold onto the Senate. Tall order, even with Warren beating Brown in the polls.
    Still confident about Obama, cautiously optimistic about the House, and pessimistic about the Senate.
  10. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    15 Feb '12 05:04
    Originally posted by whodey
    Valid point, in a sense.

Of course I imagine Republicans would spin a Senate takeover and a House hold as a public mandate referendum of Obama, even if Obama wins reelection, instead of seeing a split-ticket majority as a demand for cooperation. But time will tell.
  11. 15 Feb '12 22:31
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Valid point, in a sense.

Of course I imagine Republicans would spin a Senate takeover and a House hold as a public mandate referendum of Obama, even if Obama wins reelection, instead of seeing a split-ticket majority as a demand for cooperation. But time will tell.
    I think if there is no significant change in congressional make-up that some of the less fringe Republicans will start pushing back against the Norquist nutcases.