Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    03 May '10 09:12
    "U.S. President Barack Obama has handled the Louisiana disaster pretty well so far."

Agree or disagree?
  2. 03 May '10 15:50
    it's a bit early, unless the oil has hit the shore.

first impression:

it doesn't look like he put enough effort into it. standing back and expecting BP to handle it without monitoring their progress or kicking their butts much isn't really "handling" it, is it?
  3. 03 May '10 15:58
    Obama did a driveby yesterday.

http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2010/05/03/03greenwire-gulf-coast-residents-send-sos-to-obama-98003.html

Gulf Coast Residents Send SOS to Obama

By ROBIN BRAVENDER of Greenwire

Published: May 3, 2010

VENICE, La. -- Gulf Coast residents in this small fishing town welcomed President Obama's first appearance in the region yesterday following the massive oil spill, but many expressed frustration that the cleanup efforts have moved too slowly.

Obama traveled yesterday afternoon to the coastal community, where he met with top officials to gauge the scope of the disaster caused by oil leaking from the Deepwater Horizon rig that exploded on April 20.

As his motorcade traveled the two hours from New Orleans to the outer reaches of Louisiana's southeastern coast, groups of residents greeted him enthusiastically along the way. Obama also passed signs calling for urgent assistance. One roadside sign said, "Obama Send Help!!!!" Another urged, "Please Save Our Coast."

But for some coastal residents who fear the loss of their livelihood, Obama's pledges are not enough, and they are waiting to see further evidence that BP and the government are cleaning up the spill.

"Showing up with a big brigade isn't enough," said Noel Buol, a New Orleans resident who works part time in Venice as a charter fisherman. "They gotta get something done."

Buol and the many others in the area who rely on the fishing industry have already felt the effects of the oil spill after Louisiana shut down fishing east of the Mississippi River last week. The federal government yesterday announced the closure of the federal waters off the coasts of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and part of Florida.

Some residents saw Obama's arrival as an attempt to make up for what they saw as a botched recovery effort after Hurricane Katrina.

"We haven't had as much help as we had hoped for down here," said Ciji Parker, 23, of Port Sulphur, La. Parker and her mother, 45-year-old Errica Ingraham were among those who gathered in Venice yesterday to see Obama. Their family was forced to evacuate their home in Port Sulphur, just north of Venice, when Katrina hit.

"We kind of got shorthanded," Parker said. "For them to come down here, I think they're trying to make up for that."

4. 03 May '10 16:01
    http://yesbuthowever.com/president-gulf-coast-8138840/

‘President Yucks It Up At White House Press Dinner While Disaster Heads for Gulf Coast’

Posted by John Romano in Politics on May 2, 2010

“President Yucks It Up At White House Press Dinner While Disaster Heads for Gulf Coast” – That would have been the media angle if this were May 2007. Not today. The difference is the man in the White House.

(photo with caption: President kills at annual correspondents' dinner.)

The annual White House Correspondents Dinner was last night. The nation’s elite partied as if all was right with the world, and to those in attendance, it is. The Washington and Hollywood elite meet every year to say, “Hey, we run the country and we are pretty cool. Let’s make sure those maroons in the press think we are on the same level as them for a night.”

The host of the event this year was Jay Leno. Gone are the days when the host would dare say something that skewered the White House in earnest. Stephen Colbert comes to mind. Don Imus also had some choice words as a presenter during a Radio and Television Correspondents Association dinner during the Clinton administration. Last year Wanda Sykes called for Rush Limbaugh to die, but Rush isn’t actually President yet.

By all accounts Jay Leno was a dud last night. The truth is Jay did the job he was hired to do. No hardcore or edgy Obama jokes to be found. I imagine this is how a roast for Joe Stalin would have been. My comparison between Uncle Barry (Obama’s nickname among federal workers, not a reference to a Civil War era novel. They are all called uncle.) and Poppa Joe ends there. This is America after all. No one has been sent to North Dakota to work in the sulfur mines. So far!

Interestingly, the real hit of the evening was the President himself. The AP headline declared this morning, “Obama Kills At White House Correspondents Dinner.” An oil spill the size of Lake George is heading for the Gulf Coast, and the President is giving Shecky Greene a run for his money. The AP disconnect is rather absurd here. A better headline, even for the Democrats, would have been “President Shows Lighter Side, Seeks to Calm Nation on Eve of Ecological Disaster.”

5. 03 May '10 16:03
    ok, first impressions over. he screwed up "big-time" but that won't get much "air-time".

i.e., on something that the Federal Government actually has responsibility for (offshore oil rigs vs. hurricane response, as opposed to state governments).
  6. 03 May '10 16:04
    please forgive my outrageous cut-and-pastes. i lack the free time to travel to the Gulf and see the situation for myself.
  7. 03 May '10 16:05
    7 hours without a reply and now you've got six! dude, your thread was headed for page 2!
  8. 03 May '10 17:36
    he's abandoned Louisiana already!

where's the hands-on attention?!?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8300-503544_162-503544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

May 3, 2010 9:18 AM

President Obama's Schedule Today (5/3/10)

Posted by CBSNews.com

At noon, President Obama will receive the Presidential Daily Briefing in the Oval Office. In the afternoon, he will deliver remarks at the Commander in Chief Trophy Presentation with the Naval Academy in the Rose Garden. And then in the in the evening, he will host a dinner for the Business Council in the State Dining Room.

Here's the Full Schedule from the White House (all times Eastern):

12:00PM: President Obama receives the Presidential Daily Briefing

4:00PM: President Obama delivers remarks at the Commander in Chief Trophy Presentation with the Naval Academy

6:45PM: President Obama hosts dinner for the Business Council
  9. 03 May '10 17:36
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    http://yesbuthowever.com/president-gulf-coast-8138840/

‘President Yucks It Up At White House Press Dinner While Disaster Heads for Gulf Coast’

Posted by John Romano in Politics on May 2, 2010

“President Yucks It Up At White House Press Dinner While Disaster Heads for Gulf Coast” – That would have been the media angle if this were May 2007. Not tod ...[text shortened]... been “President Shows Lighter Side, Seeks to Calm Nation on Eve of Ecological Disaster.”

Bush was excoriated for years over not immediately jumping on Air Force One and parachuting into New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. I don’t mean after, actually during the middle of the hurricane. If he had, I still think the press would have slammed him: “Bush Parachutes into Hurricane, Still Republican.”

The goal of the post-Katrina coverage wasn’t to shine a light on how we deal with natural disasters in America, it was to hurt Bush. Paving the way for a Democrat in 2008 was the real goal of the Katrina coverage, and it worked.

In reality, there is only so much a President can really do during a crisis like Katrina or the oil spill of 2010. Whether they are George Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter or even, yes, Barack Obama. Whatever apparatus a government, as a whole, has in place before a natural disaster is much more consequential to the outcome of the disaster than anything an individual President says or does afterward. Calmer folks among us know that.

If the narrative starts to focus on the limits of what a President can actually accomplish in the middle of a natural disaster, some may start asking exactly why Bush was hammered so badly after Katrina. That would be a disaster the press would really like to avoid.

Most likely, if the oil spill ends as badly as most think it will, the press will find a way to say that Bush flubbed Katrina, however nothing could be done in this case. Or better yet, let’s just blame British Petroleum in full for the disaster. Obama still greatest, oil still evil, and Bush still worst leader in recorded history, nothing will have changed. So it goes, so it goes.
  10. 03 May '10 19:05

Bush was excoriated for years over not immediately jumping on Air Force One and parachuting into New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. I don’t mean after, actually during the middle of the hurricane. If he had, I still think the press would have slammed him: “Bush Parachutes into Hurricane, Still Republican.”

The goal of the post-Katrina covera ...[text shortened]... Bush still worst leader in recorded history, nothing will have changed. So it goes, so it goes.
    Why do you assume that there's a single "press"? This is 2010, where every ideology has its own press - and I'm sure each of these presses will have their own predictable spin on the oil spill.

Those who want the full truth can listen to what each of the different presses are saying and figure out for themselves what's really going on. But everyone else will hear the version of the truth that they already wanted to hear.
  11. 03 May '10 19:27
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Why do you assume that there's a single "press"? This is 2010, where every ideology has its own press - and I'm sure each of these presses will have their own predictable spin on the oil spill.

Those who want the full truth can listen to what each of the different presses are saying and figure out for themselves what's really going on. But everyone else will hear the version of the truth that they already wanted to hear.
    the ellipsis (...) indicates a continuation of the article.

as for your assumption, who is assuming a single press? draw a curve indicating the distribution of bias in the press. do you think it would be a bell shape with the peak right at the half point?

i forget the exact event but i am reading Alistair Cooke's The Americans and in one weekly address he notes the liberal bias of the press decades ago.

p.s., the MSM complaining about Fox News does not count as coverage BY Fox News.
  12. 03 May '10 20:48 / 1 edit
    the ellipsis (...) indicates a continuation of the article.

as for your assumption, who is assuming a single press? draw a curve indicating the distribution of bias in the press. do you think it would be a bell shape with the peak right at the half point?

i forget the exact event but i am reading Alistair Cooke's The Americans and in one weekly add ...[text shortened]... ecades ago.

p.s., the MSM complaining about Fox News does not count as coverage BY Fox News.
    Being that almost all presses are for-profit, private enterprises - and being that the capitalist system abhors a vacuum - if there's money to be made somewhere, someone will jump in rather quickly -- so the sum total of all the presses at any given time likely reflects the sum total of what listeners, viewers, and readers want the press to provide. I would thus expect the half-point to reflect pretty closely where the average person's tastes lie.

Conservatives will generally consider that "half-point" to be a liberal slant - and liberals will generally consider that "half-point" to be a conservative slant.

Nevertheless, almost everyone greatly prefers and will seek out the "press" that confirms their ideological predispositions. So at the end of the day, the news reports will change the minds of very few people.
  13. 03 May '10 22:27
    studies indicate a liberal bias in reporting.

as for market forces:

1) i still get newsweek (even though they squished the font down), because the writing is better or it used to be one of the two default mags and i'm just used to it. although i'm reconsidering because they're getting worse in their slide to the left. Time, too, even though it's headed the same direction, not far behind Newsweek. i don't get ANY other mags.

2) reporters are famous for their resistance to the commercial wing of the business, and liberality of the schools training them. if the market was that much of a factor, you would see the liberal outlets following in outlook the counservative outlet that's outshining them in viewership, Fox.
  14. 04 May '10 22:00

as for market forces:

1) i still get newsweek (even though they squished the font down), because the writing is better or it used to be one of the two default mags and i'm just used to it. although i'm reconsidering because they're getting worse in their slide to the left. Time, too, even though it's hea ...[text shortened]... s following in outlook the counservative outlet that's outshining them in viewership, Fox.
    It seems like print media analysts do tend to be relatively liberal - but the audio media analysts (radio talkshows, cable news pundits) are mostly conservatives. Perhaps people who prefer to read their news are liberals and those who prefer to listen to their news are conservatives.

Most primary reporting tends to be boringly neutral - usually, you get some reporter with overly whitened teeth and overly coiffed hair spending 10 minutes lobbing softball questions at two people representing "opposing views" about a given issue. People like Olbermann and Beck might give you a very biased view of things, but at least they have some passion.
  15. 04 May '10 22:12

as for market forces:

1) i still get newsweek (even though they squished the font down), because the writing is better or it used to be one of the two default mags and i'm just used to it. although i'm reconsidering because they're getting worse in their slide to the left. Time, too, even though it's hea ...[text shortened]... s following in outlook the counservative outlet that's outshining them in viewership, Fox.
    The free market provides a wide variety of restaurants. McDonald's may be extremely successful, but that doesn't mean that every restaurant does or should try to imitate McDonalds.

Likewise, just because Fox is successful, it doesn't mean that everyone in the media market would be wise to imitate Fox. But as I said before, capitalism abhors a vaccuum. If the existing establishment is underrepresenting conservative views, someone will find a way to fill it (and many outlets already have). If the mainstream journalism schools aren't producing enough conservative reporters, there will be money to be made in starting a school to meet the demand for such reporters.