Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 14 Jul '16 21:57 / 1 edit
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/14/barack-obama-us-racism-police-brutality-failed-victims

"Obama has Failed the Victims of Racism and Police Brutality"
    --Cornel West (14 July 2016)

"A long and deep legacy of white supremacy has always arrested the development of US democracy.
    Unfortunately Obama thrives on being in the middle. He has no backbone to fight for justice.
    Obama's attitude is that of a neo-liberal, and they rarely have solidarity with poor and working people.
    Yet we are tied in a choice between (Donald) Trump, who would be a
    neo-fascist catastrophe, and (Hillary) Clinton, a neo-liberal disaster.
    That's why I am supporting Jill Stein ... the only progressive woman in the race.
    The American empire is in deep spiritual decline and moral decay."
    --Cornel West
  2. 14 Jul '16 22:08
    Cornel West - a great thinker and worth listening to.
  3. 15 Jul '16 11:23 / 1 edit
    You can't begin to solve a problem if you can't identify the cause. The root cause of all black social dysfunction is ..... black people.
  4. 15 Jul '16 12:31
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    You can't begin to solve a problem if you can't identify the cause. The root cause of all black social dysfunction is ..... black people.
    And when you bromide you cannot identify a cause, or anything else for that matter.
    One sees you've not read any Cornel West.
  5. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:29
    “In this country American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.”
    ― Toni Morrison
  6. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:30
    “Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned...
    Everything is war. Me say war.
    That until the're no longer 1st class and 2nd class citizens of any nation...
    Until the color of a man's skin is of
    no more significa...nce than the color of his eyes, me say war. That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race me say war!”
    ― Haile Selassie
  7. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:31
    “Ignorance and prejudice are the handmaidens of propaganda. Our mission, therefore, is to confront ignorance with knowledge, bigotry with tolerance, and isolation with the outstretched hand of generosity. Racism can, will, and must be defeated.”
    ― Kofi Annan
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:32
    “I wish I could say that racism and prejudice were only distant memories. We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust…We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.”
    ― Thurgood Marshall
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:33
    “We've got to face the fact that some people say you fight fire best with fire, but we say you put fire out best with water. We say you don't fight racism with racism. We're gonna fight racism with solidarity.”
    ― Fred Hampton
  10. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:33
    “Pit race against race, religion against religion, prejudice against prejudice. Divide and conquer! We must not let that happen here.”
    ― Eleanor Roosevelt
  11. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:35
    “The white man's happiness cannot be purchased by the black man's misery.”
    ― Frederick Douglass
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:39
    “It was obvious that bigotry was never a one-way operation, that hatred bred hatred!”
    ― Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
  13. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:40
    “I guess it all depends on whom you ask and when you ask. Race, I've learned, is in the eye of the beholder.”
    ― Raquel Cepeda, Bird of Paradise: How I Became Latina
  14. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:41
    “We first crush people to the earth, and then claim the right of trampling on them forever, because they are prostrate.”
    ― Lydia Maria Francis Child
  15. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    15 Jul '16 20:50
    “You can't have capitalism without racism.”
    ― Malcolm X