Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 09 Oct '15 22:24 / 2 edits
    http://news.yahoo.com/obama-focusing-condolences-not-gun-laws-oregon-visit-073323382--politics.html

    Obama was met with a crowd of protesters fearing that the President may do his best to deny them their right to bear arms. Mr. Unilateral is uniting the country agian it seems and those in Oregon probably fear an Executive Order of some kind in this regard.

    But this thread is not about all that. In the article it states that the GOP is working on a law to restrict gun usage for the mentally ill. So which "mentally ill" citizens should be denied access to guns? In fact, what should be labeled mental illness? For exapmle, anyone who is depressed or ever been depressed, should they be denied access to guns?

    In short, which of the metnally ill should be discriminated against?
  2. 10 Oct '15 04:25
    I get depressed every day when I read the news. Should I give up my guns? Not. That's just the reason I have em.
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    10 Oct '15 06:58
    And two more school shootings... Wow.
  4. 10 Oct '15 10:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.yahoo.com/obama-focusing-condolences-not-gun-laws-oregon-visit-073323382--politics.html

    Obama was met with a crowd of protesters fearing that the President may do his best to deny them their right to bear arms. Mr. Unilateral is uniting the country agian it seems and those in Oregon probably fear an Executive Order of some kind in this regard. ...[text shortened]... e denied access to guns?

    In short, which of the metnally ill should be discriminated against?
    in other words, dumb people that had a tragic even happen near them try to stop someone who wants to try and fix it.
  5. 10 Oct '15 11:25 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    in other words, dumb people that had a tragic even happen near them try to stop someone who wants to try and fix it.
    I'll ask the question again, who should be discriminated against when it comes to gun ownership?

    It seems the list includes:

    1. Everyone
    2. Former criminals
    3. Mentally ill.

    Those are the options I'm hearing.

    So the question begs, what does it mean by criminal? What types of criminals and for how long?

    And lastly, what types of mentally ill? Perhaps this is the most troubling of the whole group. Who gets to decide if someone is "mentally ill"? What are the qualifications for being labeled mentally ill and a danger to society? Are we to further stigmatize them?

    As for banning guns outright, this is simply not going to happen. Not even Obama is suggesting this, so these questions need to be asked.
  6. 10 Oct '15 11:33
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    And two more school shootings... Wow.
    Over 2000 people were gunned down in Chicago last year yet I never once heard Obama say we need to politicize them.

    I guess when affluent white kids are gunned down it motivates Obama to want to do something about guns.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Oct '15 11:45
    Originally posted by whodey
    Over 2000 people were gunned down in Chicago last year yet I never once heard Obama say we need to politicize them.

    I guess when affluent white kids are gunned down it motivates Obama to want to do something about guns.
    If he proposes gun regulations, he's going to steal all our free people's guns and impose a tyranny.

    If he doesn't, he doesn't care how many black people are killed by guns.

    WhodeyLogic.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    10 Oct '15 11:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://news.yahoo.com/obama-focusing-condolences-not-gun-laws-oregon-visit-073323382--politics.html

    Obama was met with a crowd of protesters fearing that the President may do his best to deny them their right to bear arms. Mr. Unilateral is uniting the country agian it seems and those in Oregon probably fear an Executive Order of some kind in this regard. ...[text shortened]... e denied access to guns?

    In short, which of the metnally ill should be discriminated against?
    You say it's a GOP proposal; why don't you tell us what their answer to your questions are?
  9. 10 Oct '15 22:43
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You say it's a GOP proposal; why don't you tell us what their answer to your questions are?
    I don't know what they will come up with. What does it matter?

    I'm asking people here for their input.

    Who should we discriminate against?
  10. 10 Oct '15 22:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If he proposes gun regulations, he's going to steal all our free people's guns and impose a tyranny.

    If he doesn't, he doesn't care how many black people are killed by guns.

    WhodeyLogic.
    It's pretty simple really.

    Over 2000 blacks gun down other blacks in Chicago, no press conference. No mention of publicizing it.

    A handful of whites get gunned down at a college and all hell breaks loose and we need to politicize it.

    Those are just the facts. Deal with it.
  11. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    11 Oct '15 06:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    I don't know what they will come up with. What does it matter?

    I'm asking people here for their input.

    Who should we discriminate against?
    A person who fervently believes that more gun ownership and less control of them could be described as being mentally ill, if we apply Einstein's insanity rubric: ie:- doing the same thing but expecting different outcomes...