Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Feb '15 00:10
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/05/obama-at-national-prayer-breakfast-people-committed-terrible-deeds-in-the-name-of-christ/

President Obama was at a prayer breakfast today and spoke about the atrocities being committed by ISIS such as burning men alive and sexually abusing children and/or later crucifying them.

Obama reminded the audience that Christians also have a dark past such as the Crusades and Inquisitions back in the day.

So is he right? Are Christianity and Islam morally equivalent? Are they both equal in terms of good and potential evil?
  2. 06 Feb '15 00:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/02/05/obama-at-national-prayer-breakfast-people-committed-terrible-deeds-in-the-name-of-christ/

President Obama was at a prayer breakfast today and spoke about the atrocities being committed by ISIS such as burning men alive and sexually abusing children and/or later crucifying them.

Obama reminded the audien ...[text shortened]... stianity and Islam morally equivalent? Are they both equal in terms of good and potential evil?
    If and when a religious faction turns its focus to the domination of lands and peoples and the persecution of other peaceful factions, it is in that period of time, morally bankrupt. Nobody gets a special pass on account of its official stance on Jesus.
  3. 06 Feb '15 00:49
    Originally posted by JS357
    If and when a religious faction turns its focus to the domination of lands and peoples and the persecution of other peaceful factions, it is in that period of time, morally bankrupt. Nobody gets a special pass on account of its official stance on Jesus.
    I suppose you do get a pass if you are just following the teachings of Islam.
  4. 06 Feb '15 02:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Exactly. It's when these religions embrace theocracy that they begin to demonstrate every sort of evil. When men begin to rule and reign in the name of God all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately for Muslims, they are commanded to live by Sharia law. For Muslims, separating religion and politics is difficult, if not impossible.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Feb '15 02:22 / 2 edits
    Exactly. It's when these religions embrace theocracy that they begin to demonstrate every sort of evil. When men begin to rule and reign in the name of God all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately for Muslims, they are commanded to live by Sharia law. For Muslims, separating religion and politics is difficult, if not impossible.
    It's been pointed out numerous times to you that there are many versions of Sharia law. It has been pointed out to you many times that there are Muslim nations that do not adhere to Sharia law at all (Turkey abolished Sharia in 1924 yet an estimated 99.8% of the population is Muslim). This information seems unable to penetrate your thick skull.

Given the actual history of Christianity claims about its inherent moral superiority to anything are laughable. Even if it were somehow in the abstract, Obama was merely saying that adherents to any religion can and do commit atrocities in the name of that religion. That is obviously true and there is nothing objectionable in his statement.
  6. 06 Feb '15 02:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's been pointed out numerous times to you that there are many versions of Sharia law. It has been pointed out to you many times that there are Muslim nations that do not adhere to Sharia law at all (Turkey abolished Sharia in 1924 yet an estimated 99.8% of the population is Muslim). This information seems unable to penetrate your thick skull.

Given ...[text shortened]... me of that religion. That is obviously true and there is nothing objectionable in his statement.
    Turkey is perhaps the most civilized of states within Islam because they have abolished Sharia law. How long do you think this will last?

To last, they will have to fight against rising powers like ISIS and Iran.

And lastly, to think that Mo is equivalent in moral teachings and examples as Jesus is laughable. Both are seen as perfect by their respective religions that follow them. Mo converted with the sword, Jesus did not. Mo set up Sharia law, Jesus said his kingdom was not of this world.

If Muslims want to live their lives devoid of Sharia law that Mo commanded them to live by so be it. The world will be a much better place.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Feb '15 03:10
    Turkey is perhaps the most civilized of states within Islam because they have abolished Sharia law. How long do you think this will last?

To last, they will have to fight against rising powers like ISIS and Iran.

And lastly, to think that Mo is equivalent in moral teachings and examples as Jesus is laughable. Both are seen as perfect by their respecti ...[text shortened]... f Sharia law that Mo commanded them to live by so be it. The world will be a much better place.
    There are plenty of other Muslim countries that don't follow Sharia or follow only certain parts of it. Here learn something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_sharia_law_by_country

Of course, this destroys the claim you made above i.e. that all Muslims must follow Sharia.

Even someone as deliberately ignorant as you should realize that Muslims believe that Mohammed was a prophet of the Lord (like Jesus was in their view) but that Christians believe that JC was God (or part of God; the whole Trinity thing doesn't make much sense). That's quite a difference.
  8. 06 Feb '15 03:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    There are plenty of other Muslim countries that don't follow Sharia or follow only certain parts of it. Here learn something: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_sharia_law_by_country

Of course, this destroys the claim you made above i.e. that all Muslims must follow Sharia.

Even someone as deliberately ignorant as you should realize that M ...[text shortened]... od (or part of God; the whole Trinity thing doesn't make much sense). That's quite a difference.
    Muslims don't have to follow Sharia law, but Mo told them to do so.

Islam teaches that Mo was perfect. They can then ignore his perfect example if they so desire.

Christians only think one man is perfect, Jesus. This is because they believe him to be God in the flesh.

The issue of believing that mortal men can be perfect is a dangerous, as well as foolish, notion. It runs counter to what we know to be truth. If a perfect man once walked the earth, I assure you they were not mortal.
  9. 06 Feb '15 06:42
    Muslims don't have to follow Sharia law, but Mo told them to do so.

Islam teaches that Mo was perfect. They can then ignore his perfect example if they so desire.

Christians only think one man is perfect, Jesus. This is because they believe him to be God in the flesh.

The issue of believing that mortal men can be perfect is a dangerous, as well as ...[text shortened]... we know to be truth. If a perfect man once walked the earth, I assure you they were not mortal.
    If you want to convince people that your caveman religion is better than some other caveman religion you might have better luck in Spirituality.
  10. 06 Feb '15 11:45 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    If you want to convince people that your caveman religion is better than some other caveman religion you might have better luck in Spirituality.
    But when I bring topics like this up there, they say I should come to the debate forums.

No one wishes to discuss this it seems. :'(

My only attempt in this thread is to expose the evils of collectivism/statism mixed with religion. Men like Stalin shows us how awry collectivism can go apart from religion, but it seems when men add to their ideology that God wishes them to kill for the state, it increase the intensity of the collectivist fanaticism that knows no bounds. Next thing you know you start sexually molesting children and crucifying them on crosses. Any religion can be hijacked accordingly. As for people like Obama, they can't see their own nose in front of their face in this regard.

It simply puzzles me that Obama is so willing to just accept that human nature is so flawed, but then seeks to empower the state and the men that run it further over the freedoms we all enjoy since he is a collectivist himself.
  11. 06 Feb '15 12:29 / 2 edits
    It takes a child-like mindset to bring up the crusades from ONE THOUSAND YEARS AGO as a sign that Christianity of today is as bad as Islam.
    I've seen morons here do it but I thought Obama would know better.
    Once again his IQ comes into question, I wonder just how stupid he really is?
  12. 06 Feb '15 12:58

Obama reminded the audien ...[text shortened]... stianity and Islam morally equivalent? Are they both equal in terms of good and potential evil?
    it is more fair to say that atrocities were committed in the name of each. in fact, i am sure that if we take the whole history, christianity wins by far at horribleness. inquisition, crusades, jewish persecutions, protestant persecutions, the extermination of native americans (north and south americans), slavery in the us, etc.

the important thing to understand is that monsters will have no trouble using any excuse to commit attrocities. there are buddhist sects who murder muslims in asia.

because we treat these asholes like muslims and not psychotic killers we alienate the muslims who aren't inherently violent. a normal muslims will not blow himself up for islam. a normal muslims who lost his family in a drone strike, who can't feed his family because of wars caused by americans, etc might.
  13. 06 Feb '15 13:00
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    It takes a child-like mindset to bring up the crusades from ONE THOUSAND YEARS AGO as a sign that Christianity of today is as bad as Islam.
    I've seen morons here do it but I thought Obama would know better.
    Once again his IQ comes into question, I wonder just how stupid he really is?
    you get upset by this because you lack the intelligence to understand the reason why obama brought it up.

he mentioned how every religion is capable of atrocities and we grow out of it through enlightment, not by destroying said religion or persecuting its members without discrimination.
  14. 06 Feb '15 13:30
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    you get upset by this because you lack the intelligence to understand the reason why obama brought it up.

he mentioned how every religion is capable of atrocities and we grow out of it through enlightment, not by destroying said religion or persecuting its members without discrimination.
    So how long is it going to take Muslims to become enlightened? They've had 1400 years and they haven't changed yet.
  15. 06 Feb '15 13:42
    My only attempt in this thread is to expose the evils of collectivism/statism mixed with religion.
    The attempt failed, but feel free to try again.