Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 16:281 edit
    http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/12/obama-once-said-that-the-american-dream-is-to-be-donald-trump/

Hilarious!

A recently unearthed essay co-written by Barack Obama in 1991 stated that the American dream is to be Donald Trump.

Penned while the former president was a graduate student at Harvard Law — with the help of fellow classmate Robert Fisher — “Race and Rights Rhetoric” summed up the American mindset as “a continuing normative commitment to the ideals of individual freedom and mobility, values that extend far beyond the issue of race in the American mind.”

“The depth of this commitment may be summarily dismissed as the unfounded optimism of the average American—I may not be Donald Trump now, but just you wait; if I don’t make it, my children will.”

The excerpt of that previously unpublished law school paper found its way inside Rising Star: The Making of Barack Obama, the new 1,460-page biography written by Pulitzer Prize winning historian David Garrow that focuses on Obama’s early years.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 16:34
    No, in that excerpt he isn't saying he wanted "to be like Trump." Is the language too difficult for you?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 16:48
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    No, in that excerpt he isn't saying he wanted "to be like Trump." Is the language too difficult for you?
    True, Obama wanted his children to follow in Trump's footsteps as well.

My bad.
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 16:501 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    True, Obama wanted his children to follow in Trump's footsteps as well.

My bad.
    He didn't say that either:

[Americans have] a continuing normative commitment to the ideals of individual freedom and mobility, values that extend far beyond the issue of race in the American mind. The depth of this commitment may be summarily dismissed as the unfounded optimism of the average American—I may not be Donald Trump now, but just you wait; if I don't make it, my children will.

The paper argued that black Americans should "shift away from rights rhetoric and towards the language of opportunity." The way they saw it, "Precisely because America is a racist society… we cannot realistically expect white America to make special concessions towards blacks over the long haul."

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jpyvp7/young-obama-said-the-american-dream-is-to-be-donald-trump

He is attributing a viewpoint (an "unfounded" one in his words) to "average American" in 1991, not endorsing it himself.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 17:131 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    He didn't say that either:

[Americans have] a continuing normative commitment to the ideals of individual freedom and mobility, values that extend far beyond the issue of race in the American mind. The depth of this commitment may be summarily dismissed as [b]the unfounded optimism of the average American
    —I may not be Donald Trump now, but just y ...[text shortened]... point (an "unfounded" one in his words) to "average American" in 1991, not endorsing it himself.[/b]
    Shouldn't it read, "I may not be Hitler or David Duke now, but just you wait; if I don't make it, my children will."

LMAO!

You just can't make this stuff up!
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 17:14
    Shouldn't it read, "I may not be Hitler now, but just you wait; if I don't make it, my children will."

LMAO!

You just can't make this stuff up!
    Apparently YOU can and invariably do.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 17:231 edit
    Apparently YOU can and invariably do.
    All this goes to prove is that this bit about Trump being a racist and Hitler is pure BS.

Race is nothing more than a political construct.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 17:26
    All this goes to prove is that this bit about Trump being a racist and Hitler is pure BS.

Race is nothing more than a political construct.
    How does it "prove" that in your warped mind?

Race is a construct, but unfortunately a lot of people take that construct seriously in such a way to believe that Race A is superior to Race B.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 18:04
    How does it "prove" that in your warped mind?

Race is a construct, but unfortunately a lot of people take that construct seriously in such a way to believe that Race A is superior to Race B.
    Race is merely a political construct.

Anytime you hear people clamor about race, it involves politics. The Civil War is but one example.

Politics is all about dividing and conquering, so what better method to divide than differences in skin color?
  10. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 18:27
    Race is merely a political construct.

Anytime you hear people clamor about race, it involves politics. The Civil War is but one example.

Politics is all about dividing and conquering, so what better method to divide than differences in skin color?
    Southern whites thought they were a superior "race" not only to blacks, but to Northern whites:

as historian James McPherson points out, Southerners not only thought of themselves as a race separate from blacks, but as a race apart from Northern whites:

The South's leading writer on political economy, James B. D. De Bow, subscribed to this Norman-Cavalier thesis and helped to popularize it in De Bow's Review. As the lower-South states seceded one after another during the winter of 1860-61, this influential journal carried several long articles justifying secession on the grounds of irreconcilable ethnic differences between Southern and Northern whites. "The Cavaliers, Jacobites, and Huguenots, who settled the South, naturally hate, contemn, and despise the Puritans who settled the North," proclaimed one of these articles. "The former are a master-race; the latter a slave race, the descendants of Saxon serfs." The South was now achieving its "independent destiny" by repudiating the failed experiment of civic nationalism that had foolishly tried in 1789 to "erect one nation out of two irreconcilable peoples."

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/what-we-mean-when-we-say-race-is-a-social-construct/275872/
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 18:293 edits
    Southern whites thought they were a superior "race" not only to blacks, but to Northern whites:

as historian James McPherson points out, Southerners not only thought of themselves as a race separate from blacks, but as a race apart from Northern whites:

The South's leading writer on political economy, James B. D. De Bow, subscribed to this Norman- ...[text shortened]... tlantic.com/national/archive/2013/05/what-we-mean-when-we-say-race-is-a-social-construct/275872/
    Interesting. So it is similar today between the conservative blacks and Left wing blacks today.

One group is marginalized and repeatedly attacked as Uncle Toms and the other not so much.
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 18:321 edit
    Interesting. So it is similar today between the conservative blacks and Left wing blacks.

One group is marginalized and repeatedly attacked as Uncle Toms and the other not so much.
    🙄

You are truly a nut case.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 19:09
    🙄

You are truly a nut case.
    How am I a nut case?

Black Dims like Obama can do no wrong and the most accomplished and qualified, as where someone like Ben Carson is the filth of the earth.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Sep '18 19:133 edits
    When Europeans came to America, many played the same race game as they do today. They viewed the "brown" native Americans as an obstacle as they wanted their land. So they just painted them as "savages" and inferiors. Then, and only then, could they engage in genocide to remove them. For they knew that "whitey" had greater numbers and superior weapons, so no need to share the land. Having them as an enemy made uniting the country easier and more efficient.

Today, "whitey" is the one who is being outnumbered, so politicians today are playing the same games, only, whitey is on the outside looking in now as politicians clamor to obtain votes based only on brown skin color because they are now outnumbering whitey.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

The name of the game is, pick the racially winning side and ride the wave.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Sep '18 02:36
    When Europeans came to America, many played the same race game as they do today. They viewed the "brown" native Americans as an obstacle as they wanted their land. So they just painted them as "savages" and inferiors. Then, and only then, could they engage in genocide to remove them. For they knew that "whitey" had greater numbers and superior weapons, s ...[text shortened]... sh, rinse, repeat.

The name of the game is, pick the racially winning side and ride the wave.
    Seriously, you need to stop this.

Just because your side of the political aisle does reprehensible things, with dodgy motives and agendas, you (and others of your ilk) always assume that the other side of the aisle has the same ugly motives and agendas as you do, and you assume that they would simply do the same nasty things were the shoe on the other foot.

Nothing is further from the truth. Some people actually put this country before their own enrichment, as hard as that is for you to believe. Just because you slimebags would sell out your country for a hefty payday, it's not automatically true that your opponents would do the same thing. I'm very tired of you advocating that the People might as well let the Republicans ruin the country because the Democrats would eagerly do the same. Totally false equivalence.