Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 15:45
    YouTube

Some guy asked Obama why he wanted to limit and control gun and ammo purchases.

It is surreal to watch Obama speak, as the then sitting president compared to the nonsensical word soups coming out of Trump's cheeseburger hole.

A few of the points raised:
    - First of all, gun sales were UP during Obama's years. He didn't take away guns, he didn't impose martial law and tyranny.
    - Something that baffles me: CDC is not allowed to study gun violence. One can study traffic accidents, but not what causes gun violence, how can one prevent it or even how much gun violence there is.
    - Another idiotic thing: people can be put on no fly lists for being ISIS sympathizers but NRA opposes any attempt to bar them from buying guns. So you are too dangerous to go through the TSA checks and get in a plane with the clothes on your back but not to dangerous to buy guns?? I can't even with you americans.
    - You must go to driving school to get a license, you must pass a driving examination with a certified instructor to prove you can drive a car and not put other people's safety at risk but in many states you don't have to do jack regarding a gun.
    - "Car control" works. Seat belts. Airbags. Laws prohibiting drunk driving. More reliable cars. Better roads. You're not only saying that gun control doesn't work, but you can't even look into the problem to see what can be done

You no longer have Obama. You have an orange baboon as president. You have a congress that is either controlled by NRA or spineless incompetent cowards who can't do jack. They won't do jack on this issue (or others for that matter), it is all on you.
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 15:55
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imFvSua3Kg

It is surreal to watch Obama speak, as the then sitting president compared to the nonsensical word soups coming out of Trump's cheeseburger hole.

- First of all, gun sales were UP during Obama's ...[text shortened]... o can't do jack. They won't do jack on this issue (or others for that matter), it is all on you.
    Let me give you a tip. Anyone can say anything.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 16:36
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6imFvSua3Kg

- First of all, gun sales were UP during Obama's ...[text shortened]... o can't do jack. They won't do jack on this issue (or others for that matter), it is all on you.
    What did he say about knives, hammers, trucks, acid, fertilizer, bombs ect?
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 19:54

. - First of all, gun sales were UP during Obama's years..
    Of course gun sales went up dolt boy, every time Obama made noises about gun control sales went through the roof, The worlds greatest gun salesman, one could be forgiven for suspecting that he was actually in cahoots with gun manufacturers and the NRA.

🙄
  5. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 21:35
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Of course gun sales went up dolt boy, every time Obama made noises about gun control sales went through the roof, The worlds greatest gun salesman, one could be forgiven for suspecting that he was actually in cahoots with gun manufacturers and the NRA.

🙄
    You mean like the way the Affordable Health Care Act, (Obama Care) was actually good for Insurance Companies?
  6. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 02:22
    I am kind of caught up on the idea of the CDC studying "gun violence." For starters, it makes much more sense, IMO, to study violence in general.

I think "gun violence" isn't a helpful term, either.

A man gets into a fit of rage after finding out that his wife cheated on him. 20 seconds later he shoots her.

A man gets into a fit of rage while driving a car and pulls out a gun and shoots the other driver.

A man plans a spree killing with a gun.

A drug dealer kills another drug dealer with a gun over turf.

A man accidentally shoots another man while hunting... Etc.

These situations are all quite different. I have no idea how you would hope to study them under as broad of a name as gun violence. It seems like it is a politically motivated phrase and category.
  7. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 05:12
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    I am kind of caught up on the idea of the CDC studying "gun violence." For starters, it makes much more sense, IMO, to study violence in general.

A man gets into a fit of rage after finding out that his wife cheated on him. 20 seconds later he shoots her.

A man gets into a fit of rage wh ...[text shortened]... a name as gun violence. It seems like it is a politically motivated phrase and category.
    How about the CDC study violence involving firearms?
  8. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 05:24
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    How about the CDC study violence involving firearms?
    Then Fox can report on the prevalence of third degree burns as a result of arms on fire... 😉😀
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 09:07

A man gets into a fit of rage wh ...[text shortened]... a name as gun violence. It seems like it is a politically motivated phrase and category.
    "For starters, it makes much more sense, IMO, to study violence in general."
    Excellent idea. We should also study "death" in general. No need for research on a particular diseases, we should study disease in general.

"I think "gun violence" isn't a helpful term, either. "
    semantics? really? that's your issue? Also the reasons listed support the term "gun violence" not dismiss it. It is violence committed by gun, you give it a term identifying the problem and you move to fix it, not spend a decade debating on what it should be called.

"These situations are all quite different. I have no idea how you would hope to study them under as broad of a name as gun violence."
    So you first start your post saying CDC shouldn't study gun violence, that it makes much more sense to study violence in general . Then you end your post saying that gun violence is actually to broad a term. Which is it, dear? Did you forget the point you made 10 seconds before when you started writing this mess?
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 09:18

because you have two conflicting ideas here, i will pick the less stupid one.

Yes, gun violence is a broad term.
    Yes, preliminary research will touch a broad range of issues. Then you follow up with a narrower term, like maybe suicides by gun.
    No, it is not useless research. Guns being the common thread between instances of gun violence, if you make guns safer you impact most of the sub-issues. Car deaths may be caused by various reasons but all agree that no matter if you were drunk driving, fell asleep at the wheel, bad weather conditions, a deer jumped in front of you, an airbag is generally a good idea and having one will improve your chances of survival no matter the reason you crashed your car.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 09:52

It's violence aided by a gun or guns.

What would you call it?
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    02 Feb '18 12:001 edit
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    You mean like the way the Affordable Health Care Act, (Obama Care) was actually good for Insurance Companies?
    This is as much as a an analogy fail as your aborigines are height deficient (a metaphor for what, I dare you) and need a box to stand on provided by others of course.

If people are put on notice that tomorrow something is going to be more difficult to purchase either through a price increase or an increase in regulation (ahh but I repeat myself) then today there is going to be run on that good. Gas is going up tomorrow, people go out and fill their cars, in Aus just recently, announces controls on medicines containing codeine causes a run on those products and the internet black-market is about to get a spurt on. Obummer announces gun controls are in the air (a number of times) sales go up. In fact if he were in cahoots he probably couldn't have milked it better.

If you tried somehow to draw a parallel; guns with Ofokker Care it would be that everyone must now purchase a gun whether they like it or not and it will be an Ofokker Care gun.

Tina Turner: "Whole Lotta Love" Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter. Nuthin to do with anything, but you need it, oh yes.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    02 Feb '18 12:122 edits
    We should also study "death" in general. No need for research on a particular diseases, we should study disease in general.
    We, we, weee, weeeeeeeee. We should do this, we should do that. A common theme in your posts.

You should mind your own business.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 09:32
    We, we, weee, weeeeeeeee. We should do this, we should do that. A common theme in your posts.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    What business of yours is it to determine what others debate about?
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 15:28

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    In other words 'don't tread on my rifle religion'.