Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 16 Jan '14 19:27
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/official-no-one-knows-how-many-people-have-actually-paid-obamacare_774743.html

    "So we don't know at this point how many people have actually paid for coverage?" asked a member of Congress.

    "That's right," the CMS official conceded.


    Until people pay for coverage, they aren't actually covered. At the moment any numbers about how many people getting covered is a lie.

    We have an upper bound based on the number of people who have signed up, but we don't know how many of those are actually getting the coverage. It is much like how many poor people get car insurance: sign up and pay for first month, but then don't pay. They keep the paper work in case they get pulled over, but don't pay.
  2. 13 Feb '14 16:46
    http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/02/12/Obamacare-Enrollment-Hits-3-3-Million-but-not-really


    The actual January enrollment announced today was 1,146,000.

    The administration continues to say it cannot estimate how many people who have selected plans have actually paid a first month's premium since the payment system has not been built. Experts and journalists who have spoken to insurers say the total percentage who have not paid is around 20 percent. This means it's possible HHS is now double counting some people who were dropped after failing to meet a mid-January deadline but are now applying again.


    Still nobody knows.
  3. 14 Feb '14 14:08
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/02/12/Obamacare-Enrollment-Hits-3-3-Million-but-not-really


    [b]The actual January enrollment announced today was 1,146,000.

    The administration continues to say it cannot estimate how many people who have selected plans have actually paid a first month's premium since the payment system has not been built. Expert ...[text shortened]... failing to meet a mid-January deadline but are now applying again.


    Still nobody knows.[/b]
    Liberals are in a bit of a fix.

    On the wone hand, they need to defend the ACA because they just sold it to the nation. On the other hand, they know that their solution to this train wreck will be a single payer system.

    Perhaps the best approach is just to not say anything more at all and wait.
  4. 14 Feb '14 14:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/official-no-one-knows-how-many-people-have-actually-paid-obamacare_774743.html

    [b]"So we don't know at this point how many people have actually paid for coverage?" asked a member of Congress.

    "That's right," the CMS official conceded.


    Until people pay for coverage, they aren't actually covered. At the moment ...[text shortened]... onth, but then don't pay. They keep the paper work in case they get pulled over, but don't pay.[/b]
    If the government had and provided data on how many people had signed up, the next charge would be spying on the citizens.
  5. 14 Feb '14 14:43
    Originally posted by JS357
    If the government had and provided data on how many people had signed up, the next charge would be spying on the citizens.
    If an insurance company did not know how many people signed up for insurance you would believe them? Is the government somehow different or are you just used to the government being completely incompetent?
  6. 14 Feb '14 15:22
    Originally posted by quackquack
    If an insurance company did not know how many people signed up for insurance you would believe them? Is the government somehow different or are you just used to the government being completely incompetent?
    I wouldn't automatically assume anything in particular. Just because I want a piece of information, doesn't make the government incompetent for not providing it.
  7. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    14 Feb '14 15:25
    Originally posted by JS357
    I wouldn't automatically assume anything in particular. Just because I want a piece of information, doesn't make the government incompetent for not providing it.
    That's a logical fallacy and as obvious a ducking of the point as can be made.
  8. 14 Feb '14 16:51
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    That's a logical fallacy and as obvious a ducking of the point as can be made.
    QQ's first question is incoherent as stated, and his second one is of the 'do you still beat your wife' variety.
  9. 14 Feb '14 17:04
    The government either knows how many people paid for coverage and will not disclose it or they are incompetent.
  10. 14 Feb '14 18:24
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The government either knows how many people paid for coverage and will not disclose it or they are incompetent.
    The typical payment plan has a series of time points when payment is due, when penalties accrue, and when cancellation occurs. Adults know this. As I said before, for the government to intrude into this process before it is resolved on a case by case basis would be jumped on as the nanny state, by those who are just looking for things to whine about.
  11. 14 Feb '14 19:09
    Originally posted by JS357
    The typical payment plan has a series of time points when payment is due, when penalties accrue, and when cancellation occurs. Adults know this. As I said before, for the government to intrude into this process before it is resolved on a case by case basis would be jumped on as the nanny state, by those who are just looking for things to whine about.
    If the government is running the program right, then they should be able to give accurate information regarding how many people are taking advantage of this program. The government would not be a nanny state. It would actually be competent.
    What type of penalties accrue for people who never paid for their healthcare?
  12. 14 Feb '14 19:53
    Originally posted by JS357
    If the government had and provided data on how many people had signed up, the next charge would be spying on the citizens.
    You think it would be considered spying to know how many people are actively participating in a government program?

    Is that really the best you've got?
  13. 14 Feb '14 20:15 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    If the government had and provided data on how many people had signed up, the next charge would be spying on the citizens.
    That is because it is none of the government's business. Or put another way, it should not be their business.

    Imagine what they will do with the knowledge of our individual health problems. This could come in handy in terms of dealing with political opponents. The IRS is known for targeting those who are conservative.

    In the end, just know that the President is innocent of knowing anything about whatever may happen in the future to conservative opponents.

    (Wink, wink)
  14. 14 Feb '14 21:26
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You think it would be considered spying to know how many people are actively participating in a government program?

    Is that really the best you've got?
    I was thinking the same about the people who are whining because the government hasn't told them the status of other people's health care insurance payments. Is that the best they've got? It seems they are all too ready to join the nanny state and make other people's financial situations their business. Leave them alone and we'll see how it's going soon enough.
  15. 14 Feb '14 23:46
    Originally posted by JS357
    I was thinking the same about the people who are whining because the government hasn't told them the status of other people's health care insurance payments. Is that the best they've got? It seems they are all too ready to join the nanny state and make other people's financial situations their business. Leave them alone and we'll see how it's going soon enough.
    I'm sure you would see valid questioning of your god's program as whining.