Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Dec '13 04:47 / 1 edit
    http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022469957_medicaidrecoveryxml.html

As thousands of state residents enroll in Washington’s expanded Medicaid program, many will be surprised at fine print: After you’re dead, your estate can be billed for ordinary health-care expenses. State officials are scrambling to change the rule.

Nothing for your kids, all your money goes to the government after you die. Nice. The government is in a big money grab and they are going after the little guy.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    18 Dec '13 15:09
    Little guys don't have estates.
  3. 18 Dec '13 15:15
    Yeah, it's much better that the taxpayer pays someone's medical bills rather than some silver spoon kids.
  4. 18 Dec '13 16:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Little guys don't have estates.
    Sure they do. There are average people who own their houses and have assets. Sure, their estates may only be worth a few thousand dollars, but even that little amount gets sucked in the by government.

All those years of paying FICA tax means nothing to the government.
  5. 18 Dec '13 16:22
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yeah, it's much better that the taxpayer pays someone's medical bills rather than some silver spoon kids.
    Tax payers are supposed to have already paid for medicare through their FICA tax.
  6. 18 Dec '13 17:39
    I just settle Moms Estate,, glad I was able to get through it..
  7. 30 Dec '13 10:18
    Originally posted by Eladar

[b]As thousands of state residents enroll in Washington’s expanded Medicaid program, many will be surprised at fine print: After you’re dead, your estate can be billed for ordinary health-care expenses. State officials are scrambling to change the rule.

Nothing for your k ...[text shortened]... you die. Nice. The government is in a big money grab and they are going after the little guy.[/b]
    Eladar, I'd have thought you'd believe in individuals paying for their own healthcare.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Dec '13 15:00

[b]As thousands of state residents enroll in Washington’s expanded Medicaid program, many will be surprised at fine print: After you’re dead, your estate can be billed for ordinary health-care expenses. State officials are scrambling to change the rule.

Nothing for your k ...[text shortened]... you die. Nice. The government is in a big money grab and they are going after the little guy.[/b]
    Estate recovery for certain expenses paid by Medicaid is as old as Medicaid itself. It's common sense that the government should be able to recover huge expenses laid out for the benefit of a person who had assets to pay for his or her own healthcare but was exempt for reasons that no longer apply after death.

For example, is a person owns a nice house and needs long term care Medicaid, the government generally will not make you sell your house to be eligible for Medicaid (with certain exceptions, of course). However, after death, when the person no longer needs the house to live in, federal law often requires that states seek recovery of the expenses by putting a lien on the house. I don't see the problem with this at all.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    30 Dec '13 15:02
    Tax payers are supposed to have already paid for medicare through their FICA tax.
    FICA pays for Medicare, not Medicaid. Every taxpayer over age 65 is entitled to Medicare. Medicaid is only for people who cannot afford to pay for their own healthcare.
  10. 30 Dec '13 15:19
    Originally posted by sh76
    Estate recovery for certain expenses paid by Medicaid is as old as Medicaid itself. It's common sense that the government should be able to recover huge expenses laid out for the benefit of a person who had assets to pay for his or her own healthcare but was exempt for reasons that no longer apply after death.

For example, is a person owns a nice house and n ...[text shortened]... covery of the expenses by putting a lien on the house. I don't see the problem with this at all.
    What is the purpose of a FICA tax?

Why pay FICA tax at all? So that the government can just make more money off of its citizens? You die before taking benefits and the government pockets the money. You use the benefits and the government soaks your estate for the money after you die.
  11. 30 Dec '13 15:27
    What is the purpose of a FICA tax?

Why pay FICA tax at all? So that the government can just make more money off of its citizens? You die before taking benefits and the government pockets the money. You use the benefits and the government soaks your estate for the money after you die.
    Perhaps you should read sh76's posts before responding to them.
  12. 30 Dec '13 15:27
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Perhaps you should read sh76's posts before responding to them.
    I read his post. He's full of crap.
  13. 30 Dec '13 15:29
    Originally posted by karnachz
    Eladar, I'd have thought you'd believe in individuals paying for their own healthcare.
    Sure, but if you are paying a FICA tax for 40 odd years, then you should benefit from it. You shouldn't get screwed by the government in life and after death.
  14. 30 Dec '13 15:30

I knew this was coming. They don't like it when you pass down your wealth to your children.
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    30 Dec '13 15:34
    I read his post. He's full of crap.
    What part of "FICA pays for Medicare, not Medicaid" didn't you understand?