Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 28 Jul '09 22:49
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090728/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_birth_certificate

HONOLULU – State officials in Hawaii on Monday said they have once again checked and confirmed that President Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen, and therefore meets a key constitutional requirement for being president.

They hoped to stem a recent surge in the number of inquiries about Obama's birthplace.

"I ... have seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawaii State Department of Health verifying Barack Hussein Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen," Health Director Dr. Chiyome Fukino said in a brief statement. "I have nothing further to add to this statement or my original statement issued in October 2008 over eight months ago."

So-called "birthers" — who claim Obama is ineligible to be president because, they argue, he was actually born outside the United States — have grown more vocal recently on blogs and television news shows.

Fukino issued a similar press release Oct. 31, but was prompted to speak out again because of the renewed attention on Obama's beginnings. Hawaii's Health Department has been flooded in recent weeks with questions from individuals and several national TV news networks asking for proof that Obama was indeed born in Hawaii.

"They just keep asking over and over and over again," Health Department spokeswoman Janice Okubo said.

The Constitution states that a person must be a "natural-born citizen" to be eligible for the presidency. Birthers contend that Obama's birth certificate is a fake, and many say he was actually born in Kenya, his father's homeland. They've challenged his citizenship in court.

One widely circulated YouTube clip of a town hall meeting showed a Republican congressman getting booed for saying Obama is a citizen. Talk show host Rush Limbaugh and CNN's Lou Dobbs have also raised the issue, and 10 Republican members of Congress co-sponsored a bill that would require future presidential candidates to provide a copy of their original birth certificate.

However, it appears Congress has moved on and has accepted Obama's island birthplace. The U.S. House on Monday unanimously approved a resolution recognizing and celebrating the 50th anniversary of Hawaii becoming the 50th state. A clause was included that reads: "Whereas the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, was born in Hawaii on August 4, 1961."

State law bars the release of a certified birth certificate to anyone who does not have a tangible interest.

However, Obama's birth certificate along with birth notices from the two Honolulu newspapers were brought forward even before he took office. But that's done nothing to shake the belief by many Obama critics that the president was born abroad.
  2. 28 Jul '09 23:08 / 1 edit
    The "birthers" sound like some sort of a religious cult
    I expect that a Birther compound will soon be set up somewhere in the Rockies, where they will all stockpile weapons, hunker down, and prepare for the apocalypse.

Or maybe they'll be more mainstream and form a Birther Party and have Lou Dobbs run as their candidate for president
  3. 28 Jul '09 23:29
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    The "birthers" sound like some sort of a religious cult
    I expect that a Birther compound will soon be set up somewhere in the Rockies, where they will all stockpile weapons, hunker down, and prepare for the apocalypse.

Or maybe they'll be more mainstream and form a Birther Party and have Lou Dobbs run as their candidate for president
    Why do you fellers feel the necessity to defend your saviour?
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Jul '09 00:17
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Why do you fellers feel the necessity to defend your saviour?
    Your turn of phrase makes you seem foolish.
  5. 29 Jul '09 00:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your turn of phrase makes you seem foolish.
    You know how I like consistency
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Jul '09 00:39
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090728/ap_on_re_us/us_obama_birth_certificate

HONOLULU – State officials in Hawaii on Monday said they have once again checked and confirmed that President Barack Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen, and therefore meets a key constitutional requirement for being president.

They hoped to ...[text shortened]... shake the belief by many Obama critics that the president was born abroad.
    Why are you bringing this up again? Every time someone brings it up, you (rightfully) shoot it down and dismiss it. So, why give it credence by bringing up the issue for another thread which will no doubt fill itself up with nonsense?

Do you really feel the need to convince the people who don't want to be convinced on this issue?

Just let it be.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Jul '09 00:42
    You know how I like consistency
    "...your saviour"? Malice, frustration, unselfconscious lashing out, stammering political impotence, emotional. Pace your comparisons of Obama to Hitler. Pace your chunterings about One World Government. How did you self-validate before there was the internet?
  8. 29 Jul '09 00:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    Why are you bringing this up again? Every time someone brings it up, you (rightfully) shoot it down and dismiss it. So, why give it credence by bringing up the issue for another thread which will no doubt fill itself up with nonsense?

Do you really feel the need to convince the people who don't want to be convinced on this issue?

Just let it be.
    I didn't see him telling you not to put your peta nonesense up, so why tell him what to do?
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Jul '09 00:45

Just let it be.
    Issue a list of topics that you don't want to discuss - or you don't want want anybody else to discuss - and another list of topics that you like. We'll see if we can work round you. For you to simply not post on a thread you are not interested in seems too difficult.
  10. 29 Jul '09 01:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Issue a list of topics that you don't want to discuss - or you don't want want anybody else to discuss - and another list of topics that you like. We'll see if we can work round you. For you to simply not post on a thread you are not interested in seems too difficult.
    Good one FMF. Your thread on Shakespear made me now question whether or not he wrote the plays. I cant prove it one way or another but now if someone asks me I will say I don't know. The same is true for the birth certificate issue or moon landings etc... For a lot of the things that can't be proven, people will take a leap of faith one way or another or just say I don't know. On this particular subject I will say I don't know . I do value Obamas grandmothers word more than any governments word. I don't take the leap of faith though.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Jul '09 01:27 / 1 edit
    I didn't see him telling you not to put your peta nonesense up, so why tell him what to do?
    Just a suggestion based on USAP's assertion that this whole issue was ridiculous and implying that it was not worth discussing...

As always, he's perfectly free to ignore my suggestion if he likes.
  12. 29 Jul '09 01:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    "...your saviour"? Malice, frustration, unselfconscious lashing out, stammering political impotence, emotional. Pace your comparisons of Obama to Hitler. Pace your chunterings about One World Government. How did you self-validate before there was the internet?
    I don't self validate FMF. I will admit though the internet does give access to info a lot easier. Good and bad info can be compared rather than just having mainstream media lead us too and fro. From your statement it appears you don't believe there is a one world govt. You don't need the internet to find out about that. My only advice to you is don't quit your day job as you are a lousy psycologist.
  13. 29 Jul '09 01:31
    Just a suggestion based on USAP's assertion that this whole issue was ridiculous and implying that it was not worth discussing...
    I think it speaks highly of him to give what he considers evidence on a matter he feels is a closed book. He may be wanting to help someone come around to (in his mind) the truth. It doesn't hurt anything does it?
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    29 Jul '09 01:38
    I think it speaks highly of him to give what he considers evidence on a matter he feels is a closed book. He may be wanting to help someone come around to (in his mind) the truth. It doesn't hurt anything does it?
    No; it certainly doesn't hurt. Cyberspace is virtually unlimited.

I will say that seeing this same issue hashed and rehashed and rehashed again and the same "tinfoil hat" accusations flying around is getting a bit tiresome. All that ends up happening on these threads is that the Obama conspiracy people become punching bags for the left wingers who have their pallid fun calling you conspiracy nuts and similar names. (Why do you think FMF was so quick to attack me? He probably wants another crack at you and some of the others for your Obama conspiracy theories.)

You're right. I could just ignore the thread. Maybe I should.

By all means, step right into it again.

Enjoy the beating.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    29 Jul '09 01:40 / 1 edit
    My only advice to you is don't quit your day job as you are a lousy psycologist.
    My day job IS being a psychologist. Yours.

You've admitted to being a late starter and suffering a poor education. Now you are blossoming by clinging to seemingly every boggle-eyed interpretation of anything you can lay your modem on. I would say this is a case of self-validation, for sure. You are announcing your arrival and delineating your elbow room with trembling comparisons of POTUS to THE NAZIS. And other gleeful Paranoia-'r'-us tabloid dreck. "I am joe beyser and the world will hear my theories. I'd like to thank the net, and my mother....".

What's any other psychologist going to say?