Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 20 Jul '12 14:00
    Obama says he supports a lot of things that most Americans agree with, but he has not followed through with very many of them. Take offshore tax havens for example. He has been saying he wants to end them but has accomplished nothing.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/obama-promise-in-2008-promised-to-shut-down-offsho

Is a vote for Obama a vote for keeping a lame duck president that will never accomplish any of his stated goals?

How likely is it that his lame duck status will change if he gets a second term?
  2. 21 Jul '12 01:59
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Obama says he supports a lot of things that most Americans agree with, but he has not followed through with very many of them. Take offshore tax havens for example. He has been saying he wants to end them but has accomplished nothing.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/obama-promise-in-2008-promised-to-shut-down-offsho

Is a vote for Obama a vo ...[text shortened]... ated goals?

How likely is it that his lame duck status will change if he gets a second term?
    Well he has the "lame" part down. Now all we have to do is dress him like a duck.
  3. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    21 Jul '12 03:53
    That depends on who controls each branch of Congress, and on whether another election cycle resulting in divided government could actually convince Democrats and Republicans that voters demand they work together.
  4. 21 Jul '12 06:53
    Is a vote for Obama a vote for keeping a lame duck president that will never accomplish any of his stated goals?
    What's the alternative? Vote for the mad dog that bit the duck and made it lame?
  5. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Coma Killa
    21 Jul '12 07:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What's the alternative? Vote for the mad dog that bit the duck and made it lame?
    I really think these kids have to take a step back to appreciate what a farce US politics are ...
  6. 21 Jul '12 10:23 / 1 edit
    You sound like an obstructionist democrat to me, the party of "no". We need a mad dog to get things done in DC!!
  7. 21 Jul '12 10:24
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I really think these kids have to take a step back to appreciate what a farce US politics are ...
    Farce? You are too kind.
  8. 21 Jul '12 12:44
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    You are right on. Our politics are just a farce. It is like role playing to keep the status quo and convince people it is some sort of accident.

There is a reason offshore tax havens are still legal. The elites want it that way and they run the show from behind the scenes.
  9. 21 Jul '12 14:17
    You are right on. Our politics are just a farce. It is like role playing to keep the status quo and convince people it is some sort of accident.

There is a reason offshore tax havens are still legal. The elites want it that way and they run the show from behind the scenes.
    That simply can't be!! After all, Obama and his cronies say they are against them.

Say it ain't so. :'(
  10. Subscriber Rajk999
    Enjoying
    21 Jul '12 14:58

Is a vote for Obama a vo ...[text shortened]... ated goals?

What right does the president of one country have to end perfectly legal activities in another country?
  11. 21 Jul '12 15:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    You sound like an obstructionist democrat to me, the party of "no". We need a mad dog to get things done in DC!!
    The obstructionist is the mad dog that bit the duck. If Obama has failed to carry out his stated goals then it is because of the opposition party, which from what I can tell does nothing else except deliberate obstructionism and sabotage to the economy.
  12. 21 Jul '12 15:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    What right does the president of one country have to end perfectly legal activities in another country?
    He has the right (via government etc) to demand that his citizens pay their taxes on money earned even if that money is not in the country and regardless of the laws in other countries. He can also make rules about companies and their finances if those companies operate in his country and other countries. He can dictate to some extent how those companies behave both inside and outside his country. (economic sanctions comes to mind).
  13. 21 Jul '12 15:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    That simply can't be!! After all, Obama and his cronies say they are against them.

Say it ain't so. :'(
    Where do you come up with that one? They prefer incentives to cause investment in the US instead but where do you find Obama proposed legislation to eliminate them?

Too many of you are lead only by political ads. Primarily the idiots in the GOP.
  14. 21 Jul '12 17:50
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Where do you come up with that one? They prefer incentives to cause investment in the US instead but where do you find Obama proposed legislation to eliminate them?

Too many of you are lead only by political ads. Primarily the idiots in the GOP.
    Forget that idiot comment above. Makes me look like an idiot. Darn internet..I write too fast before I think
  15. Subscriber Rajk999
    Enjoying
    21 Jul '12 22:52
    He has the right (via government etc) to demand that his citizens pay their taxes on money earned even if that money is not in the country and regardless of the laws in other countries. He can also make rules about companies and their finances if those companies operate in his country and other countries. He can dictate to some extent how those companies behave both inside and outside his country. (economic sanctions comes to mind).
    How does any of that in the US, end offshore tax havens as stated in the opening post.