Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    21 Jun '13 15:41
    Mr. Krauthammer explains part of the reason why so much of the country has so much disdain for this little man.

Archive | Biography | RSS Feed | Opinions Home
    The selective modesty of Barack Obama

GALLERY

President Obama's swing through the Midwest
    The commander in chief this spring went on a campaign-style visit to promote his economic agenda, his plans for clean energy and the need for increased regulation of the financial system.
    » LAUNCH PHOTO GALLERY

Network News
    X
    View More Activity
    TOOLBOX
    Resize Print
    E-mail Reprints

By Charles Krauthammer
    Friday, July 9, 2010
    Remember NASA? It once represented to the world the apogee of American scientific and technological achievement. Here is President Obama's vision of NASA's mission, as explained by administrator Charles Bolden:

"One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science and math and engineering."

Apart from the psychobabble -- farcically turning a space-faring enterprise into a self-esteem enhancer -- what's the sentiment behind this charge? Sure America has put a man on the moon, led the information revolution, won more Nobel Prizes than any other nation by far -- but, on the other hand, a thousand years ago al-Khwarizmi gave us algebra.

Bolden seems quite intent on driving home this message of achievement equivalence -- lauding, for example, Russia's contribution to the space station. Russia? In the 1990s, the Russian space program fell apart, leaving the United States to pick up the slack and the tab for the missing Russian contributions to get the space station built.

For good measure, Bolden added that the United States cannot get to Mars without international assistance. Beside the fact that this is not true, contrast this with the elan and self-confidence of President John Kennedy's 1961 pledge that America would land on the moon within the decade.

There was no finer expression of belief in American exceptionalism than Kennedy's. Obama has a different take. As he said last year in France, "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism." Which of course means: If we're all exceptional, no one is.

Take human rights. After Obama's April meeting with the president of Kazakhstan, Mike McFaul of the National Security Council reported that Obama actually explained to the leader of that thuggish kleptocracy that we, too, are working on perfecting our own democracy.

Nor is this the only example of an implied moral equivalence that diminishes and devalues America. Assistant Secretary of State Michael Posner reported that in discussions with China about human rights, the U.S. side brought up Arizona's immigration law -- "early and often." As if there is the remotest connection between that and the persecution of dissidents, jailing of opponents and suppression of religion routinely practiced by the Chinese dictatorship.

Nothing new here. In his major addresses, Obama's modesty about his own country has been repeatedly on display as, in one venue after another, he has gratuitously confessed America's alleged failing -- from disrespecting foreigners to having lost its way morally after 9/11.

It's fine to recognize the achievements of others and be non-chauvinistic about one's country. But Obama's modesty is curiously selective. When it comes to himself, modesty is in short supply.

It began with the almost comical self-inflation of his presidential campaign, from the still inexplicable mass rally in Berlin in front of a Prussian victory column to the Greek columns framing him at the Democratic convention. And it carried into his presidency, from his posture of philosopher-king adjudicating between America's sins and the world's to his speeches marked by a spectacularly promiscuous use of the word "I."

Notice, too, how Obama habitually refers to Cabinet members and other high government officials as "my" -- "my secretary of homeland security," "my national security team," "my ambassador." The more normal -- and respectful -- usage is to say "the," as in "the secretary of state." These are, after all, public officials sworn to serve the nation and the Constitution -- not just the man who appointed them.

It's a stylistic detail, but quite revealing of Obama's exalted view of himself. Not surprising, perhaps, in a man whose major achievement before acceding to the presidency was writing two biographies -- both about himself.

Obama is not the first president with a large streak of narcissism. But the others had equally expansive feelings about their country. Obama's modesty about America would be more understandable if he treated himself with the same reserve. What is odd is to have a president so convinced of his own magnificence -- yet not of his own country's.
  2. 21 Jun '13 15:59
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Mr. Krauthammer explains part of the reason why so much of the country has so much disdain for this little man.

GALLERY

The commander in chief this spring went on a campaign-style visit to promote hi ...[text shortened]... f his own magnificence -- yet not of his own country's.
    "Nor is this the only example of an implied moral equivalence that diminishes and devalues America."

This attitude would not appeal to fans of American exceptionalism like Krauthammer.

"Krauthammer divides philosophical approaches to foreign policy into four schools and characterizes them thusly:

Isolationism: The earliest form of US foreign policy, originally based on American Exceptionalism and a desire to stay out of the conflicts of "Old Europe." It is now obsolete, an "ideology of fear" based on xenophobia.
    Liberal internationalism: The multilateral approach to foreign intervention. Liberals seek to intervene in foreign affairs through supranational organizations like the UN (e.g., Bill Clinton and the Balkans) but restrain unilateral intervention using those same bodies (e.g. Iraq).
    Realism: There is no "international community" but a collective of competing powers which are kept in check by the US as the sole superpower. The US should intervene in foreign affairs to protect its national interests.
    Democratic globalism: A philosophy built on American Exceptionalism that claims the US has the duty to "spread democracy" throughout the world.

Krauthammer calls his philosophy "democratic realism": "

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Charles_Krauthammer
  3. 21 Jun '13 16:07 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by sasquatch672

GALLERY

The commander in chief this spring went on a campaign-style visit to promote hi f his own magnificence -- yet not of his own country's.
    It is hard to say exactly how modest Obama is. What you must realize is that the collectivist is forced to feed you the notion that they are above average, if not superior to almost everyone on the face of the planet in terms of intellect and ability. The reason is simple, they force feed the collective to do their bidding, all on the premise that they know what is best for you more than you know for yourself.

Historically you see this around the world. In fact, once their irreplaceable leader dies, a crisis of sorts occurs. How exactly can we now survive without them? Usually they then seek to mummify their leaders under glass to help quell the crisis that they are no longer there to help guide them as if to make them a demi god. You see this with such leaders as Lenin, Mao, Chavez etc.

Conversely, opponents are ALWAYS portrayed as stupid, incompetent or down right evil, thus they cannot be entrusted to micromanage every facet of our lives in any form of fashion.

To sum up, Obama is forced into this inflated view of himself, if nothing else just for the purposes of propaganda. They have big government solutions to all that ails us. Nothing is beyond their collective grasp and one size always fits all.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    21 Jun '13 16:21
    One of the things that first impressed me about Obama, was his modesty. When he debated against McCain, there were a good number of times when he would say things like "My opponent is correct", or "He makes a good point", or something to that effect, regarding McCain. In fact, he did this so often, that Obama was made fun of for it, even by people like Steven Colbert, who said something like "Someone tell him this is a debate."

That type of humility impressed me, as well as when he gave an open invite to Republicans in his first term, to discuss ways to better his healthcare reform plan in a way that was more palatable for them. This invitation was ultimately turned down by Reps.

I saw shades of this humility after he beat Romney, when he said that he wasn't "wedded" to any ideas regarding the ecconomy, and that he's willing to listen. Also, when Obama invited Romney to the White House in order to discuss Romney's ideas, and get advise from him. That's very humble.

That said, it still doesn't mean he's a "good" president.
  5. 21 Jun '13 16:44
    Originally posted by vivify
    One of the things that first impressed me about Obama, was his modesty. When he debated against McCain, there were a good number of times when he would say things like "My opponent is correct", or "He makes a good point", or something to that effect, regarding McCain. In fact, he did this so often, that Obama was made fun of for it, even by people like Stev ...[text shortened]... That's very humble.

You have to understand that McCain was a well respected collectivist. That is why he is called "the maverick". He crosses isles so many times that I suspect he is also a cross dresser as well.
  6. 21 Jun '13 17:17 / 1 edit
    One of the things that first impressed me about Obama, was his modesty. When he debated against McCain, there were a good number of times when he would say things like "My opponent is correct", or "He makes a good point", or something to that effect, regarding McCain. In fact, he did this so often, that Obama was made fun of for it, even by people like Stev That's very humble.

LMAO
    Oh yea he has showed great modesty concerning John McCain.
    Remember the summit on healthcare reform ?

Obama had invited Republican leaders from both houses of Congress, ostensibly for the purpose of incorporating a bi-partisan approach, but really, as it turned out, to belittle his opposition.

During an exchange , Sen. McCain had the temerity to point out that any reform should “remove all the special interests and special deals for a favored few, and treat all Americans the same.”
    This outrageous suggestion prompted a clearly perturbed Obama, evidently not used to receiving any resistance, to reassert his supremacy by sniping: “Let me just make this point, John, because we’re not campaigning anymore. The election’s over.”

In other words: “I won. I’m what matters. Fall into line

Read more examples of Obamas self absorbed moments here: http://savejersey.com/2012/06/barack-obamas-20-most-impossibly-self-absorbed-moments/
  7. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    21 Jun '13 17:22
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    LMAO

Obama had invited Republican leaders from both houses of Congress, ostensibly for the purpose of incorporating a bi-partisan approach, but really, as it turned out, to belittle his opposition.

During an exchange , Sen. McCain had the te ...[text shortened]... ing anymore. The election’s over.”

In other words: “I won. I’m what matters. Fall into line.”
    Yeah. That strategy hasn't worked very well, for Him or for the country.

Some day - too late - liberals will realize that their demigod has wrought breathtaking damage to America. What this country needs from government, until Obama is no longer the president, is gridlock. That condition is infinitely preferable to the alternative - 'progress'.
  8. 21 Jun '13 17:27
    SOLIPSISM [sol-ip-siz-uhm] (noun): 1) Philosophy: the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist. 2) Extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one’s feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption. 3) Barack Obama.
  9. 21 Jun '13 17:28 / 1 edit
    LMAO

During an exchange , Sen. McCain had the te ...[text shortened]... ing anymore. The election’s over.”

In other words: “I won. I’m what matters. Fall into line.”
    I could care less what McCain says. I prefer to look at what he has done.

Remember, Obama pulled lies out of his arse time after time as well. I see no real difference between McCain and Obama. Both are warmongers, both are in love with PRISM, both favor gun control, both favor cap and trade, both are big government guys, even though they may differ on the details.

I have to say, I almost prefer Obama to McCain. To see McCain frothing at the mouth wanting to invade every country on the globe scares the poo out of me.
  10. 21 Jun '13 17:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    I could care less what McCain says. I prefer to look at what he has done.

Remember, Obama pulled lies out of his arse time after time as well. I see no real difference between McCain and Obama. Both are warmongers, both are in love with PRISM, both favor gun control, both favor cap and trade, both are big government guys, even though they may differ o ...[text shortened]... ain frothing at the mouth wanting to invade every country on the globe scares the poo out of me.
    Dont get me wrong. I think McCain absolutley sucks. Seriously, I cant stand him.
    I was just pointing out a example of Obamas narsicism and how he was not modest towards McCain as another poster was claiming.
  11. Standard member empovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    21 Jun '13 17:50
    SOLIPSISM [sol-ip-siz-uhm] (noun): 1) Philosophy: the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist. 2) Extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one’s feelings, desires, etc.; egoistic self-absorption. 3) Barack Obama.
    this is something i have noticed over the years: obama might be a huge narcissist

and with his base pissed off at him, i wonder when we'll see the cracks forming
  12. 21 Jun '13 17:54
    Originally posted by empovsun
    this is something i have noticed over the years: obama might be a huge narcissist

and with his base pissed off at him, i wonder when we'll see the cracks forming
    Not a chance. As long as the GOP is out their to vilify they will overlook anything he does.

I personally think that the possible demise of the GOP is the biggest threat to the one party system, which is why I suspect they will miraculously raise them from the dead in some way.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    21 Jun '13 18:11
    LMAO

During an exchange , Sen. McCain had the te ...[text shortened]... ents here: http://savejersey.com/2012/06/barack-obamas-20-most-impossibly-self-absorbed-moments/
    McCain's statement seems pretty hypocritical, being the front-runner of a party that has historically favored tax cuts for the rich. I'd tell him to shut up too.

My experience with conseratives (on this forum and elsewhere), is that they often blatantly misrepresent or misquote their opposition; most, recently, Whodey, who currently has a thread where he did just that. So until I see a video of what you're describing, I'm going to call BS on this, because if this really happened, Romney's camp would've been smearing this endlessly during his campaign.
  14. 21 Jun '13 18:42
    The liberal mind is just that way. Several examples could be given of individuals on this forum who constantly would have us believe they (liberals) have a higher IQ than conservatives. Obama is no different, but he has handlers that have given him his sense of worth. He is a mighty proud little man who is no better as a president as he could have been as a professor of law given his lack of knowledge of the constitution. There is a possibility he does understand the constitution but doing his damndest to corrupt our government.
  15. 21 Jun '13 18:50 / 1 edit
    McCain's statement seems pretty hypocritical, being the front-runner of a party that has historically favored tax cuts for the rich. I'd tell him to shut up too.

My experience with conseratives (on this forum and elsewhere), is that they often blatantly misrepresent or misquote their opposition; most, recently, Whodey, who currently has a thread where he really happened, Romney's camp would've been smearing this endlessly during his campaign.
    Whew. You think I am making this up ?
    This is common knowledge stuff son. I dont know if you are living underneath a rock or what but you need to wake up and smell the coffee and step away from the Obama kool-aid.
    You obviously are on the internet. You never heard of a google search or YouTube ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXudI0ibo-k