Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    15 Oct '11 13:49 / 2 edits
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15319924

    http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/15/world/occupy-goes-global/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

    Rome, London, Madrid, Sydney, Tokyo, Taipei, Wellington, the spirit of the 'Occupy' protests in engulfing the whole world. 951 cities in 82 countries are having protests. We could be on the cusp of monumental change across the globe. The rule of the 1% could soon be a thing of the past.
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Oct '11 15:27
    Originally posted by rwingett
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15319924

    http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/15/world/occupy-goes-global/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

    Rome, London, Madrid, Sydney, Tokyo, Taipei, Wellington, the spirit of the 'Occupy' protests in engulfing the whole world. 951 cities in 82 countries are having protests. We could be on the cusp of monumental change across the globe. The rule of the 1% could soon be a thing of the past.
    Well that seems doubtful but here's a video that should warm your heart: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/10/14/nr-imf-egg-throwing.cnn
  3. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    15 Oct '11 15:41
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Well that seems doubtful but here's a video that should warm your heart: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/10/14/nr-imf-egg-throwing.cnn
    I'm sure Louis XVI never thought the Bastille would ever be stormed either.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Oct '11 15:45
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I'm sure Louis XVI never thought the Bastille would ever be stormed either.
    If Louis XVI had Predator drones firing Hellfire missiles the storming of the Bastille would have been rather problematic.
  5. 15 Oct '11 23:49
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If Louis XVI had Predator drones firing Hellfire missiles the storming of the Bastille would have been rather problematic.
    Not if the peasants had their iPads or blackberrys within reach, and the mass mobilization potential of social networks at their disposal.
  6. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    16 Oct '11 00:47
    Originally posted by rwingett
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15319924

    http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/15/world/occupy-goes-global/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

    Rome, London, Madrid, Sydney, Tokyo, Taipei, Wellington, the spirit of the 'Occupy' protests in engulfing the whole world. 951 cities in 82 countries are having protests. We could be on the cusp of monumental change across the globe. The rule of the 1% could soon be a thing of the past.
    This is, I believe, the first time something like this has occurred on a global scale. So that by itself is an achievement. It makes the Tea Party "movement," with its furtive corporate sponsors and flash-in-the-pan "leaders," pale in comparison.
  7. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    16 Oct '11 01:33
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    This is, I believe, the first time something like this has occurred on a global scale. So that by itself is an achievement. It makes the Tea Party "movement," with its furtive corporate sponsors and flash-in-the-pan "leaders," pale in comparison.
    It's the biggest thing since the 1848 revolutions.
  8. 16 Oct '11 02:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    If Louis XVI had Predator drones firing Hellfire missiles the storming of the Bastille would have been rather problematic.
    If there had even been a regular army garrison at the Bastille the mob would probably have been repelled.
  9. 16 Oct '11 02:45
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    This is, I believe, the first time something like this has occurred on a global scale. So that by itself is an achievement. It makes the Tea Party "movement," with its furtive corporate sponsors and flash-in-the-pan "leaders," pale in comparison.
    Protests against the Viet Nam War were also world-wide.
  10. 16 Oct '11 13:21
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Protests against the Viet Nam War were also world-wide.
    Shut up!! Your ruining their mo-joe.

    This is obviously a one of a kind, first ever, universally life changing event we will all look back upon as.....well......just another Wood Stock down town New York I reckon.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Oct '11 17:01
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    This is, I believe, the first time something like this has occurred on a global scale. So that by itself is an achievement. It makes the Tea Party "movement," with its furtive corporate sponsors and flash-in-the-pan "leaders," pale in comparison.
    Ha.

    When OWS elects 100 members to Congress, come back to us and compare it to the TP.
  12. 16 Oct '11 17:47
    Originally posted by sh76
    Ha.

    When OWS elects 100 members to Congress, come back to us and compare it to the TP.
    Comparing OWS to the TEA party, is like comparing the French revolution to the American.
  13. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    16 Oct '11 18:32
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Comparing OWS to the TEA party, is like comparing the French revolution to the American.
    Yeah I don't think they plan to get what they want by winning elections.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    16 Oct '11 18:45
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Yeah I don't think they plan to get what they want by winning elections.
    I don't think that we or you or even they, know exactly what they want.
  15. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    16 Oct '11 22:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't think that we or you or even they, know exactly what they want.
    Hold on there little britches! I think you know exactly what the OWS group wants (and so do they!) It's called a level playing field. Not tax loopholes, free government $$ to fund there sweetheart government contracts, preferencial treatment, and huge political influence for 1-2% of the population, while the other 98% gets to operate under a different set of rules which guarentees an uphill battle to get ahead. Don't pretend to missunderstand things sh76...not even you are that dumb!