Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Jan '17 20:27
    http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-court-calls-synagogue-torching-an-act-to-criticize-Israel-478330#article=6023OEJFQjg4RjY1OTg3M0NDN0Y1RUJERTczNzg1Q0E2OUU=

I find this disturbing
  2. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Jan '17 20:36
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://m.jpost.com/Diaspora/German-court-calls-synagogue-torching-an-act-to-criticize-Israel-478330#article=6023OEJFQjg4RjY1OTg3M0NDN0Y1RUJERTczNzg1Q0E2OUU=

I find this disturbing
    The sentencing is very European. 800 dollars of damage, then again, isn't a lot.

Palestinians shouting "free Palestine" isn't anti-semitic.
    Palestinians torching a synagogue in a protest action is stupid, but it's not anti-semitic.

It is possible to oppose Israeli behaviour in Palestine (and elsewhere) without being antisemitic, you know.
  3. 13 Jan '17 20:40
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The sentencing is very European. 800 dollars of damage, then again, isn't a lot.

Palestinians torching a synagogue in a protest action is stupid, but it's not anti-semitic.

It is possible to oppose Israeli behaviour in Palestine (and elsewhere) without being antisemitic, you know.
    Why would they target a Synagogue in Germany? Was it because it is a generic holy place? Was it because it is connected to Jews?
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Jan '17 20:46
    Why would they target a Synagogue in Germany? Was it because it is a generic holy place? Was it because it is connected to Jews?
    I presume they targetted a synagogue in wuppertal, because they live there...
    Don't you?

They probably think it's a symbol of Isreali oppression.
    However, since I don't know the temple in question (only having been in wuppental twice... quite a cool flying train thing they have there, by the way), it's hard to tell if the synagogue is an actual promoter of Israeli BS or that the Palestian hooligans were just plain daft.
  5. 13 Jan '17 20:55
    I presume they targetted a synagogue in wuppertal, because they live there...
    Don't you?

They probably think it's a symbol of Isreali oppression.
    However, since I don't know the temple in question (only having been in wuppental twice... quite a cool flying train thing they have there, by the way), it's hard to tell if the synagogue is an actual promoter of Israeli BS or that the Palestian hooligans were just plain daft.
    Why is it a symbol of Isaeli oppression? Is it German soil or Israeli soil?
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    13 Jan '17 21:59
    Is a German tank in France on German soil?
  7. 13 Jan '17 22:00
    You'd think Germany would have had its fill of vandalizing buildings just because it is owned by Juden.
  8. 13 Jan '17 22:01
    Is a German tank in France on German soil?
    Do Israelis own the building or Germans?
  9. 13 Jan '17 23:07

I find this disturbing
    You find it disturbing that people were convicted of damaging a synagogue?
  10. 13 Jan '17 23:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You find it disturbing that people were convicted of damaging a synagogue?
    I find it disturbing that the German courts say that burning a building because it is Jewish is not a hate crime because it is an act against Israel. The German government says that German Jews are free targets of hate crimes as long as the person claims it is because of Israel.

Free season on Juden in Germany.
  11. 13 Jan '17 23:34
    Juden, Juden, Juden

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3p7bqw
  12. 14 Jan '17 00:19

It's not anti-Semitic until you round up 6 million Jews and throw them in the oven.

5.5 million, maybe, but that's pushing it.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Jan '17 03:44
    I find it disturbing that the German courts say that burning a building because it is Jewish is not a hate crime because it is an act against Israel. The German government says that German Jews are free targets of hate crimes as long as the person claims it is because of Israel.

Free season on Juden in Germany.
    The perpetrators were convicted of arson, so I fail to see how that translates to anyone being given a "free ride" to do anything.

You also seem to gloss over the fact that the arson occurred during the Israeli offensive against Gaza which killed over 2200 Palestinians. Given the time frame, a court decision finding this was a misguided violent protest against Israel rather than a hate crime against Jews doesn't seem unreasonable.

Personally, I've always opposed the concept of a "hate crime" i.e. considering a crime more severe simply because of supposed animus against a certain group by the offender, but I suppose that's tangential to the discussion.
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    14 Jan '17 07:32
    Do Israelis own the building or Germans?
    No idea.
    It's about how the building is percieved
    You seem hell bent on making it an antisemitic issue.
    The Palestinians are semitic.

So you actually mean: anti-Jewish.

But it's anti-Israeli in word, so why would you reckon the action would be another reflection?
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    14 Jan '17 07:36
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's not anti-Semitic until you round up 6 million Jews and throw them in the oven.

5.5 million, maybe, but that's pushing it.
    Yeah... 2 oppressed Palestinians venting their frustration at Israel's behaviour (in a manner which I personally find unacceptable, by the way) is not the same as mass extermination or even the same as the Extreme-right groups in Saxony and Bavaria.

Believe me. It's not.