1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 05:09
    It was close, https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_State_Question_802,_Medicaid_Expansion_Initiative_(June_2020)

but the People of deep Red Oklahoma have approved by ballot initiative the Medicaid expansion contained in the ACA that Republican Governors and State Legislatures have blocked wherever and whenever they could.

The Donald will be sad. 😢
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 11:42
    @no1marauder said
    It was close, https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_State_Question_802,_Medicaid_Expansion_Initiative_(June_2020)

but the People of deep Red Oklahoma have approved by ballot initiative the Medicaid expansion contained in the ACA that Republican Governors and State Legislatures have blocked wherever and whenever they could.

The Pandemic is bound to focus minds on survival over dogma.
    A national threat requires a national response not the patchy piecemeal private insurance model.
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 18:251 edit
    @no1marauder said

Hugely significant, especially since it's hard to find a state redder and more pro-Trump than Oklahoma. Trump won the state by almost 40 points in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election_in_Oklahoma

And yet Republicans are trying to end Obamacare, even now, in the midst of an enormous medical crisis in the US that's largely due to Republican stupidity ("it'll go away by summer" ) and iniquity.
  4. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 19:20
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/upshot/oklahoma-obamacare-Republican-voters-expand.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
    Republican Leaders Want to End Obamacare. Their Voters Are Expanding It.

Deeply conservative Oklahoma narrowly approved a ballot initiative Tuesday to expand Medicaid to nearly 200,000 low-income adults, the first state to do so in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

The vote to expand the Affordable Care Act’s reach once again put voters, many of them conservative, at odds with Republican leaders, who have worked to block it or invalidate it. Five states — Maine, Utah, Idaho, Nebraska, and now Oklahoma — have used ballot initiatives to expand Medicaid after their Republican governors refused to do so.

Oklahoma pushed the G.O.P. over a notable threshold: Most congressional Republicans now represent Medicaid-expansion states. The vote also came at a striking moment, less than a week after the Trump administration asked the Supreme Court to overturn the entirety of Obamacare — including Medicaid expansion.

“What we saw last night was Medicaid expansion triumph over party and ideology,” said Jonathan Schleifer, executive director of the Fairness Project, which has helped organize all the Medicaid votes. “Oklahoma voted for Medicaid expansion even as Trump is doubling down on repeal.”

Medicaid expansion could spread further into Republican-controlled states this year, as they weigh how to cover the many unemployed Americans expected to lose health insurance along with their jobs. Missouri voters will decide on a ballot initiative at the state’s August primary. If it passes, it will expand Obamacare coverage to 217,000 low-income people.

Some Wyoming legislators recently took a fresh look at the program, too, as they watched job losses mount. “I’ve voted against it about 10 times, never voted for it,” said the state’s House speaker, Steve Harshman, a Republican. “Now I’m thinking of our work force. We’re a mineral and oil kind of state. That’s a lot of able-bodied adults in a lot of industries who will probably need some coverage.”

Mr. Harshman voted in May to have a legislative committee study the topic, but he does not expect any action until the body’s next session begins in January.

Medicaid expansion has proved an especially resilient part of the health care law, despite early challenges. The program, which provides coverage to Americans earning less than 133 percent of the federal poverty line (about $16,970 for an individual), was initially meant to serve all 50 states.

But in a 2012 ruling, the Supreme Court declared that states could decline to participate. The program began in 2014 with about half of the states, mostly run by Democratic governors.

That figure has grown to 37 states and the District of Columbia, as more Republican-controlled states have signed on. Many academic studies have found that the program increases enrollees’ access to medical care. A more limited body of research shows that the program also reduces mortality rates.

The program still faces threats, most significantly the Trump administration lawsuit to overturn the health law. The Department of Justice, alongside a coalition of 20 Republican-controlled states, submitted briefs to the Supreme Court last week arguing that the recent repeal of the individual mandate, which required all Americans to carry health coverage or pay a fine, made the entire law unconstitutional.

Gotta love the bit about Wyoming, where a state Republican "legislator" says he voted 10 times against the ACA expansion, but is now, um, er..."reconsidering." Because pandemic. BUT the GOP-dominated Wyoming "legislature" won't bother to reconvene until January of next year to make any course corrections that a pandemic may necessitate. Wow. I just love me some responsive and nimble Republican governin'.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '20 20:32
    @no1marauder said

I did not vote. I am sure many did not vote.

Oklahoma would be Democrat if dems did not push anti-christian idiology.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 00:491 edit
    @eladar said
    I did not vote. I am sure many did not vote.

Oklahoma would be Democrat if dems did not push anti-christian idiology.
    In other words, you voted for Trump.

Thanks for, quite literally, nothing.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '20 01:03
    @suzianne said
    In other words, you voted for Trump.

Thanks for, quite literally, nothing.
    I did not voted for Ted Cruz.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '20 00:28
    @no1marauder said

That's horrible! It's almost as if hoi polloi believe health is more important than money!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree