Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    11 Dec '15 18:01 / 2 edits
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-oklahoma-police-idUSKBN0TT35C20151211#XFCXIT494TiZmAup.99

A former Oklahoma City police officer was found guilty of crimes including rape and sexual battery by a jury on Thursday in a case where prosecutors said he preyed on women who had trouble with the law, hoping their word would not stand up against his.

Daniel Holtzclaw, who turned 29 on Thursday, broke down in tears as the verdict was read. He was charged with sexually assaulting and raping 13 women and found guilty of 18 of the 36 charges, including four of the six rape charges.

Protesters who gathered outside the court earlier this week, demanded that the all-white jury convict the officer who is mixed race Asian and white, based on the physical evidence and the word of the 13 black women, who testified about how they were sexually assaulted.

In closing arguments on Monday, prosecutors said Holtzclaw targeted his victims by going after women he came across while on patrol. He ran background checks and went after those who had outstanding warrants, previous arrests or carried drugs or drug paraphernalia.

They said he did this because he did not think authorities would take the victims' word over his if he had to defend himself against sexual assault allegations.

"He exercised authority on those society doesn't care about," Assistant District Attorney Gayland Gieger said in closing arguments.

The defense said the victims provided testimony that was unreliable and dishonest.

Ice T - Cop Killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5gRIud57jQ
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    11 Dec '15 18:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-oklahoma-police-idUSKBN0TT35C20151211#XFCXIT494TiZmAup.99

A former Oklahoma City police officer was found guilty of crimes including rape and sexual battery by a jury on Thursday in a case where prosecutors said he preyed on women who had trouble with the law, hoping their word would not stand up against his.
    ...[text shortened]... reliable and dishonest.

Ice T - Cop Killer

What do they call that? Crocodile tears? Looks to me like he was crying for getting caught.

On the plus side for him, however, he will be getting a lot of sex in jail.....
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    11 Dec '15 18:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What do they call that? Crocodile tears? Looks to me like he was crying for getting caught.

On the plus side for him, however, he will be getting a lot of sex in jail.....
    Yep. Those girls have connections on the inside.
  4. 11 Dec '15 18:47
    Yep. Those girls have connections on the inside.
    So what is the debate about? A criminal is convicted, and sentenced. Is there controversy?
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    11 Dec '15 18:49
    Originally posted by normbenign
    So what is the debate about? A criminal is convicted, and sentenced. Is there controversy?
    This event illustrates why many people are afraid of the police.
  6. 11 Dec '15 22:56 / 1 edit
    Edit: Just noticed your mistake

The cop is a rapist, not was a rapist. When he dies we can say he was a rapist. There are plenty of other police officers just like him. They are a small minority, but they will always be there.

Nice to see one get caught.
  7. 12 Dec '15 00:02

...[text shortened]... reliable and dishonest.

Ice T - Cop Killer

"... hoping their (women's) word would not stand up against his."
    --quoted by AThousandYoung

'He said / she said.' It routinely happens to women who never have 'had trouble with the law'.
    Let's suppose that a woman's alone with a man where there are no witnesses or video cameras.
    He may be a stranger or a previously trusted friend. Then he suddenly seizes her and
    forces his attentions upon her, kissing or fondling her, perhaps violating her more intimately.
    Unless there's sufficient physical evidence, it's unlikely that he ever will be punished.
  8. 12 Dec '15 02:08
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "... hoping their (women's) word would not stand up against his."
    --quoted by AThousandYoung

'He said / she said.' It routinely happens to women who never have 'had trouble with the law'.
    Let's suppose that a woman's alone with a man where there are no witnesses or video cameras.
    He may be a stranger or a previously trusted friend. Then he suddenl ...[text shortened]... tely.
    Unless there's sufficient physical evidence, it's unlikely that he ever will be punished.
    Nobody should be punished without sufficient evidence. Maybe the perpetrators of these types of crimes would find it more difficult to force their attentions on women if more women were armed. The rapists would think to themselves that the likelihood of getting killed is too high and rethink their recreational goals. Might even assume all women were carrying concealed. Even if the rapist was armed, it would be risky for them.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    12 Dec '15 13:30
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Nobody should be punished without sufficient evidence. Maybe the perpetrators of these types of crimes would find it more difficult to force their attentions on women if more women were armed. The rapists would think to themselves that the likelihood of getting killed is too high and rethink their recreational goals. Might even assume all women were carrying concealed. Even if the rapist was armed, it would be risky for them.
    But if she shoots and kills the rapist before he leaves dna evidence she will most likely be charged with murder or at least manslaughter. It is a lose lose situation.
  10. 12 Dec '15 22:22 / 2 edits
    It's wildly unrealistic to expect women to go around carrying guns ready for a fast draw at all times.
    Women are raped much more often by acquaintances than by strangers. If a woman
    goes out on a date (and has several drinks), is she (sober or not) supposed to have
    a gun at hand when the man attempts to go further in fondling her than she likes?

One night, I was awakened when a man (intentions yet unknown) entered my bedroom.
    I instantly screamed--a piercing scream--and (fortunately for me) he turned and ran away.
    Even if I had had a gun nearby, I would have lacked the time (and presence of mind) to
    get it and aim it accurately at the man before he could have rushed over and seized me.

A woman gets into an elevator, briefly alone with a man. He takes advantage of the
    opportunity to grope or pinch her. (Was she supposed to shoot him in a situation
    when her life's not threatened?) When the door opens, she rushes out while he smirks.
    I don't need to be reminded about the realities of womanly vulnerability.
  11. 13 Dec '15 01:36
    But if she shoots and kills the rapist before he leaves dna evidence she will most likely be charged with murder or at least manslaughter. It is a lose lose situation.
    When a gal is targeted for rape it is going to be a loosing situation period. The woman has to know when to shoot and when not to. I am not a woman so I can't speak for how a woman may react but I would risk prison and take the thug out. Might even save someone else from the same fate.
  12. 13 Dec '15 01:44
    None of the articles I've clicked on describe the time period of the rapes and assaults, because I would like to know how there could be so many victims before he was caught. I want to know if other complaints about his conduct were filed and how quickly they were investigated. I want his supervisors on camera explaining everything.

There has to be a push for reform of cop culture. When I tell my clients to file a complaint with the Highway Patrol, they aren't given a form to fill out. The officer takes them into a room and fills it out himself, and often my clients claim that what's on the form isn't what they said. And through the whole process the officers browbeat the complainant - trying to talk him/her out of the complaint.

The media is treating this like a "bad apple." But quite frankly, unless all 13 assaults happened over the course of one or two days, somebody has to be fired. And maybe others should be prosecuted if they participated in any way to cover any aspect of it up - including any attempt to discourage the women from complaining.
  13. 13 Dec '15 01:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    It's wildly unrealistic to expect women to go around carrying guns ready for a fast draw at all times.
    Women are raped much more often by acquaintances than by strangers. If a woman
    goes out on a date (and has several drinks), is she (sober or not) supposed to have
    a gun at hand when the man attempts to go further in fondling her than she likes?

One ...[text shortened]... out while he smirks.
    I don't need to be reminded about the realities of womanly vulnerability.
    I would say that a woman is at an extreme disadvantage even if she is armed. Someone may come up behind her with a gun or a knife and she will likely be defenseless even if she has a concealed weapon. There will be times when the woman will be able to blow her assailants head off his shoulders making him an example for the rest. Putting up with the slight physical advances leading up to a possible rape is tricky. A quick punch to his adams apple could buy her time to get her revolver out and hold him at bay until authorities arrive. He has already committed an assault. If he leaves anyway she should not shoot but she damn sure better not let him have his way either. Could make for a more polite society. No matter what the legal consequences are it is their duty to defend themselves.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    13 Dec '15 03:35
    1) It was a COP. Therefore he probably frisked them first.

2) Can you imagine the headlines? "Black prostitute murders policeman".
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    13 Dec '15 03:36
    I would say that a woman is at an extreme disadvantage even if she is armed. Someone may come up behind her with a gun or a knife and she will likely be defenseless even if she has a concealed weapon. There will be times when the woman will be able to blow her assailants head off his shoulders making him an example for the rest. Putting up with the slight ...[text shortened]... polite society. No matter what the legal consequences are it is their duty to defend themselves.
    These women were raped by "the authorities". Who do you think is going to rescue these women from the police?!