Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Jan '13 19:29 / 4 edits
    If you could, what law would you introduce, abolish or amend in the country in which you live.

I would equalise maternity/paternity pay in the UK. At the moment, women receive more, and for longer, than men.

Not only is this sexual discrimination against men, it also ultimately prejudices women in the workplace. We will never have true gender equality in the UK workplace until this anomaly is removed.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Jan '13 19:30
    Make eviction illegal.
  3. 12 Jan '13 19:39
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Make eviction illegal.
    How would you get rid of a tenant that simply refused to pay the rent, even though they could easily afford it?
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Jan '13 19:40
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    How would you get rid of a tenant that simply refused to pay the rent, even though they could easily afford it?
    LOL!

I am of the tenant class, not the landlord class. Not my problem.
  5. 12 Jan '13 19:44
    LOL!

I am of the tenant class, not the landlord class. Not my problem.
    LOL

I see you took my title at strict face value!

My fault for sloppy draughting (and spelling).

Why can't you edit the title????? The shame......
  6. 12 Jan '13 19:45
    If you could, what law would you introduce, abolish or amend in the country in which you live.

I would equalise maternity/paternity pay in the UK. At the moment, women receive more, and for longer, than men.

Not only is this sexual discrimination against men, it also ultimately prejudices women in the workplace. We will never have true gender equality in the UK workplace until this anomaly is removed.
    There are many, but this one is topical:

"No pay for California legislators until budget is balanced
    A decision Tuesday by state Controller John Chiang puts into effect Proposition 25, a ballot initiative passed last November. Voters decided elected members of the state Assembly and Senate would not be paid if they failed to pass a balanced budget by the constitutional deadline, June 15. Chiang rejected legislators' claims that the budget passed last week was balanced. He said it relied on gimmicks, unrealistic assumptions and bad math."
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2011-06-21-california-legislature-budget-pay_n.htm

I would have a similar federal law apply to Congress.
  7. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Jan '13 19:54

Abolish Nafta.
  8. 12 Jan '13 20:10 / 1 edit
    The Republican forced sonogram law in Texas would be on a top 10 list.
  9. 12 Jan '13 20:30
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The Republican forced sonogram law in Texas would be on a top 10 list.
    There are few things in life that really shock and offend me, but you managed to find one. I hadn't come across this before. What a disgrace.
  10. 12 Jan '13 20:47
    Liberalization of drug and alcohol laws.
  11. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    12 Jan '13 20:50
    I would outlaw voting until you became a property owner. So people like ATY couldn't squat on my property.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Jan '13 21:03 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I would outlaw voting until you became a property owner. So people like ATY couldn't squat on my property.
    My suggestion is consistent with natural law and violates nobody's rights. But I shouldn't be surprised that you don't respect such things.

How does a squatter need the vote to squat anyway? What an odd concept.
  13. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    12 Jan '13 23:09
    My suggestion is consistent with natural law and violates nobody's rights. But I shouldn't be surprised that you don't respect such things.

How does a squatter need the vote to squat anyway? What an odd concept.
    Ok - fair point. I would place restrictions on the ability to vote so that people couldn't vote themselves my money. How's that?
  14. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    12 Jan '13 23:39
    Make eviction illegal.
    They tried that in Europe with jobs -- make it so you can't fire anyone. So employers just switched to hiring contract workers for fixed terms, e.g. 2 years. So you are fired every 2 years, basically.

A classic example of how government interference in the free market almost always has the OPPOSITE effect of what was intended.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Jan '13 23:41
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    They tried that in Europe with jobs -- make it so you can't fire anyone. So employers just switched to hiring contract workers for fixed terms, e.g. 2 years. So you are fired every 2 years, basically.

A classic example of how government interference in the free market almost always has the OPPOSITE effect of what was intended.
    So what happens to me 2 years after I stop paying rent?