Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    10 Nov '17 15:15
    Terror related deaths in America 2016 - less than 40. America's Reaction: An increase of 68 billion dollars in defence spending, speeches by President Trump including: “The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive,” extreme vetting, muslim travel bans, increased anti terrorism grants to cities, attacks on American muslims, and the usual ratcheting up of paranoia.

    Gun related deaths in America 2016 - 34,599. America's Reaction: Prayer and candlelight vigils, and another speech from the NRA on how "education" is the answer to gun violence.

    Only in America
  2. 10 Nov '17 16:02
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Terror related deaths in America 2016 - less than 40. America's Reaction: An increase of 68 billion dollars in defence spending, speeches by President Trump including: “The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive,” extreme vetting, muslim travel bans, increased anti terrorism grants to cities, attacks on American muslims, ...[text shortened]... ther speech from the NRA on how "education" is the answer to gun violence.

    Only in America
    Great point.

    Further...2001 - 2014
    American deaths by guns = 440,095
    American deaths by terrorism = 3412 (422 if you take out the 9/11 incident)

    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/03/us/terrorism-gun-violence/index.html
  3. 10 Nov '17 17:47 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Great point.

    Further...2001 - 2014
    American deaths by guns = 440,095
    American deaths by terrorism = 3412 (422 if you take out the 9/11 incident)

    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/03/us/terrorism-gun-violence/index.html
    The percentage of mass killings committed by white men can be disputed based on how you define "white" along with the percentage of the population that is white and male. However, the fact is that the overwhelming majority of mass murders are committed by men. All men, once the first pubic hair sprouts, should be placed on a watch list and not allowed to have a gun from that point forward. In Wisconsin there is no age limit on hunting so from infancy till that first pubic hair, in Wisconsin, my home state, males could have a gun.
    http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2017/oct/06/newsweek/are-white-males-responsible-more-mass-shootings-an/
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    10 Nov '17 18:21
    Bizarre numbers.

    440.000 gun related deaths in 16 years???
    How is that even possible?
  5. 10 Nov '17 18:47
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Bizarre numbers.

    440.000 gun related deaths in 16 years???
    How is that even possible?
    I also struggle to believe this... that is more than many countries and many large cities! then again this is america we are talking about
  6. 10 Nov '17 22:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @phranny
    The percentage of mass killings committed by white men can be disputed based on how you define "white" along with the percentage of the population that is white and male. However, the fact is that the overwhelming majority of mass murders are committed by men. All men, once the first pubic hair sprouts, should be placed on a watch list and not allowed to ...[text shortened]... m/punditfact/statements/2017/oct/06/newsweek/are-white-males-responsible-more-mass-shootings-an/
    I’m sorry your boyfriend dumped you
  7. 10 Nov '17 23:07 / 1 edit
    While it may be the leader, the USA's not the only society in which many people have access to guns.
    In apartheid South Africa, almost every white household had guns, often multiple guns.
    .
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_gun_cultures

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Switzerland

    "Recreational shooting is widespread in Switzerland. Practice with guns is a popular form
    of recreation, and is encouraged by the government, particularly for the members of the militia."

    "Switzerland has a strong gun culture compared to other countries in the world."
    "The vast majority of firearm-related deaths in Switzerland are suicides. ...
    By contrast, gun crime is comparatively limited."

    How does the USA's rate of gun violence compare to other societies with popular gun cultures?
    My point is that we should consider cultural factors and differences in addition to the
    prevalence of gun ownership. Is not possible that two societies with similar levels of gun
    ownership may have different rates of gun violence on account of cultural differences?
  8. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    11 Nov '17 20:23
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    While it may be the leader, the USA's not the only society in which many people have access to guns.
    In apartheid South Africa, almost every white household had guns, often multiple guns.
    .
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_gun_cultures

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Switzerland

    "Recreational shooting is widespread in Switzerland. P ...[text shortened]... s of gun
    ownership may have different rates of gun violence on account of cultural differences?
    Michael Moore spelled it out: fear.

    Fear leads to irrantional decisions, and when combined with guns, it just makes mad soup.

    Of it’s not the blacks, the commies or the Muslims out to get them, it’s someone else who’s out to get them.
    They need to protect themselves! Hell, all those raping Mexicans swarming over the borders and stealing their jobs....
  9. 11 Nov '17 22:51
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Michael Moore spelled it out: fear.

    Fear leads to irrantional decisions, and when combined with guns, it just makes mad soup.

    Of it’s not the blacks, the commies or the Muslims out to get them, it’s someone else who’s out to get them.
    They need to protect themselves! Hell, all those raping Mexicans swarming over the borders and stealing their jobs....
    If there were the same proportion of gun ownership in the USA and Switzerland, then
    would these societies have the same level of gun violence? And if not, then why not?
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Nov '17 00:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    If there were the same proportion of gun ownership in the USA and Switzerland, then
    would these societies have the same level of gun violence? And if not, then why not?
    The Swiss don’t have a paranoid fear that everyone’s out to steal their rights, their houses, their wives, etc.

    Also, especially along the Eastern Alps in Switzerland, the hills are alive with the soothing sound of music.

    You never hear Swiss people talk about their weapons as a right or an extension of their identity / personality.

    In the US you have paranoid preppers who live in a psychotic state of fear that the government’s going to end their world.
    In Switzerland... you have Heidi.

    Now, don’t get me wrong, I’d annex Switzerland into the grand Franco-German escargot & bradwurst allience before they could say: “What time is smelly cheese?”, mainly because the bastards charge me 40 euro’s a year to use their motorways...

    But they’re not bat-faecal crazy about guns.
    Actually, I believe they have guns because they can keep them after serving in the army or something; but to be honest, I was in Geneva this Summer and I didn’t see one gun.
  11. 12 Nov '17 02:25
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    The Swiss don’t have a paranoid fear that everyone’s out to steal their rights, their houses, their wives, etc.

    Also, especially along the Eastern Alps in Switzerland, the hills are alive with the soothing sound of music.

    You never hear Swiss people talk about their weapons as a right or an extension of their identity / personality.

    In the US you ...[text shortened]... n the army or something; but to be honest, I was in Geneva this Summer and I didn’t see one gun.
    My point is that culture matters. Cultural differences may explain,
    at least in part, why Americans have more gun violence.
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Nov '17 03:47
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    My point is that culture matters. Cultural differences may explain,
    at least in part, why Americans have more gun violence.
    Yes. We agree.

    And the cultural difference is paranoia and fear, compared to knickerbockers and coocoo clocks.
  13. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    12 Nov '17 14:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’m sorry your boyfriend dumped you
    I'm sorry yours did, too.
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    12 Nov '17 14:32
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    If there were the same proportion of gun ownership in the USA and Switzerland, then
    would these societies have the same level of gun violence? And if not, then why not?
    I'm just guessing the redneck ratio (as well as the inbred ratio) is much, much lower in Switzerland.
  15. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    12 Nov '17 16:13
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Bizarre numbers.

    440.000 gun related deaths in 16 years???
    How is that even possible?
    Oh yeah, if you looked out your backdoor and saw a T-rex you would wish you had an AK-47 with a hundred round clip and a bump stock.
    Here in Texas they want to carry guns on their hips in public.