Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    06 Mar '15 05:49 / 2 edits
    Only Obama could get gas to $2.50, end 2 wars, kill Osama Bin Laden, get unemployment below 7%, bring healthcare benefits to millions who had none....and then be told he's failed as a President!

If ANY republican president did all this in 6 years, they'd be carving his face in Mt Rushmore!
  2. 06 Mar '15 08:10
    Originally posted by bill718
    Only Obama could get gas to $2.50, end 2 wars, kill Osama Bin Laden, get unemployment below 7%, bring healthcare benefits to millions who had none....and then be told he's failed as a President!

If ANY republican president did all this in 6 years, they'd be carving his face in Mt Rushmore!
    LOL - they believe nothing but their own propaganda.
  3. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    06 Mar '15 11:13

Did you mention that he was black?
  4. 06 Mar '15 15:02
    That Kool-Aid must taste pretty good.
  5. 06 Mar '15 23:11 / 2 edits
    Not that it matters, because Obama has nothing to do with the price of gas, but when he took office, it was $1.87 gallon average nationwide.
    He can't be blamed for it hitting almost $5 bucks a gallon and he can't be given credit for it dropping to $2.50.
    Likewise with the fishy "healthcare to millions" nonsense. Obamacare is a nightmare that ain't done much of nuthin' for nobody and in the process raised healthcare prices for most people.
    Don't get me started on the "two wars he ended".
    Good job Obama.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Mar '15 15:47

Great as those things are, they aren't the sum total of a presidency.

Under the ACA, my health insurance premiums are up more than 50%. That means more to me and my personal life than all of those other things combined.

I don't dislike Obama. I disagree with him on many issues and I don't think he's a better than average President. Aside from the ACA, his foreign policy is a confusing mishmash of contradictory positions and the good unemployment number notwithstanding, the economic recovery has been kind of tepid compared to what one would normally expect. Plus, the budget deficits, while lowers than a few years ago, are still way too high.
  7. 09 Mar '15 16:18
    Originally posted by sh76
    Great as those things are, they aren't the sum total of a presidency.

Under the ACA, my health insurance premiums are up more than 50%. That means more to me and my personal life than all of those other things combined.

I don't dislike Obama. I disagree with him on many issues and I don't think he's a better than average President. Aside from the ACA, his ...[text shortened]... ly expect. Plus, the budget deficits, while lowers than a few years ago, are still way too high.
    who are you comparing him with ? lincoln? washington? (i am a little fuzzy on who you consider a "better than average" president)

"Under the ACA, my health insurance premiums are up more than 50%."
    yes, sometimes a law won't cause only good, somebody must be left with the bill. we could look at who of your elected congressmen and senators decided that bill should be picked up by the middle class instead of raising taxes by 1% for those making over 10 million dollars a year.

"his foreign policy is a confusing mishmash of contradictory positions"
    compared to bush?

"the economic recovery has been kind of tepid compared to what one
    would normally expect."
    expect from whom? what is the level of expectation one would have from a president that inherited 2 wars and an economic crisis? would mccain have done better? would roosevelt? hoover?

"Plus, the budget deficits, while lowers than a few years ago, are still way too high."
    is that all obama's fault? or is it the fact that two sides carving up the pie cannot agree on who gets how much pie and/or who gets to bake the pie?

from 2011 the Us congress was republican . don't they have any merit/blame on the state of the deficit?

the way you are talking is that obama was supposed to be jesus/thor/gandalf combined. he was supposed to end world hunger, bring world peace and cure all diseases. also, you are basically saying the US is an absolute monarchy, with king obama the only one responsible for every cog in the machine.

are you disappointed that he turned out to be mere human?
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Mar '15 19:49
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    who are you comparing him with ? lincoln? washington? (i am a little fuzzy on who you consider a "better than average" president)

"Under the ACA, my health insurance premiums are up more than 50%."
    yes, sometimes a law won't cause only good, somebody must be left with the bill. we could look at who of your elected congressmen and senators decided that ...[text shortened]... ible for every cog in the machine.

are you disappointed that he turned out to be mere human?
    I'd consider Reagan, Clinton, Eisenhower and Roosevelt to be above average Presidents, if that helps.

==="Under the ACA, my health insurance premiums are up more than 50%."
    yes, sometimes a law won't cause only good, somebody must be left with the bill. we could look at who of your elected congressmen and senators decided that bill should be picked up by the middle class instead of raising taxes by 1% for those making over 10 million dollars a year. ===

The lion's share of the increase of my premiums was due to the fact that my old plan was nonconforming with the ACA based on some obscure technicality and the insurance company had to cancel it and we had to then buy a new one that was a worse policy, but much more expensive. I picked up the bill because my policy was forced to cover all the goodies the ACA gives out.

==="the economic recovery has been kind of tepid compared to what one
    would normally expect."
    expect from whom? what is the level of expectation one would have from a president that inherited 2 wars and an economic crisis? would mccain have done better? would roosevelt? hoover?===

I don't have any idea whether McCain would have done better or not. I do know that post-recession recoveries are typically stronger than this one has been. The OP gave credit to Obama for the recovery. I am pointing to a caveat to that. I am not claiming that any specific person definitely would have done better.

==="Plus, the budget deficits, while lowers than a few years ago, are still way too high."
    is that all obama's fault? or is it the fact that two sides carving up the pie cannot agree on who gets how much pie and/or who gets to bake the pie?===

I guess it's both sides' fault. But that doesn't absolve Obama.

===the way you are talking is that obama was supposed to be jesus/thor/gandalf combined. he was supposed to end world hunger, bring world peace and cure all diseases. also, you are basically saying the US is an absolute monarchy, with king obama the only one responsible for every cog in the machine.

are you disappointed that he turned out to be mere human?===

Yes. That's exactly what I was saying.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 Mar '15 21:47
    I'd consider Reagan, Clinton, Eisenhower and Roosevelt to be above average Presidents, if that helps.

==="Under the ACA, my health insurance premiums are up more than 50%."
    yes, sometimes a law won't cause only good, somebody must be left with the bill. we could look at who of your elected congressmen and senators decided that bill should be picked up by th ...[text shortened]... isappointed that he turned out to be mere human?===

Yes. That's exactly what I was saying.
    So you're paying more for a better policy.

That really sucks; I can see why you would prefer that the 10 million or so people who have so far obtained health insurance because of the ACA should be denied it so that a few making well above median income shouldn't suffer such an awful fate.:'(
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    09 Mar '15 22:28

And did this after inheriting Bush's mess.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    10 Mar '15 01:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    So you're paying more for a better policy.

That really sucks; I can see why you would prefer that the 10 million or so people who have so far obtained health insurance because of the ACA should be denied it so that a few making well above median income shouldn't suffer such an awful fate.:'(
    No, I'm paying more for a WORSE policy. It covers less of the stuff I want so it can cover more of the stuff I don't need.

Don't give that BS about the 10 million people gaining insurance. That's not the dichotomy I'm referring to. I'm perfectly willing to pay more to subsidize insurance for poor people who can't afford their own insurance, but I'm not willing to pay more to subsidize 25 years old spoiled "kids" and all the other stuff insurance policies now HAVE to cover.
  12. 10 Mar '15 12:16
    No, I'm paying more for a WORSE policy. It covers less of the stuff I want so it can cover more of the stuff I don't need.

Don't give that BS about the 10 million people gaining insurance. That's not the dichotomy I'm referring to. I'm perfectly willing to pay more to subsidize insurance for poor people who can't afford their own insurance, but I'm not willi ...[text shortened]... sidize 25 years old spoiled "kids" and all the other stuff insurance policies now HAVE to cover.
    25 year old "spoiled" kids with either crushing college debt and/or not yet experienced enough to be hired in a decent job.

do you think you are paying for many 25 year old stoners who won't get a job?

"other stuff"
    like preexistent conditions?
  13. 10 Mar '15 12:42 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    And did this after inheriting Bush's mess.
    That's just it.

If Obama had an "R" by his name all we would hear about is how the rich kept getting richer, the poor kept getting poorer, and how corporate America increased their strangle hold on us all by taking over Obamacare and setting our mandatory tax rates.

But since he has a "D" by his name, all you hear about is how gas prices have come down and how great Obamacare is, and any job numbers that might make him look favorable.

As for his foreign policy, it's a train wreck. At times he uses force, like in Libya, but then when regimes are removed by him he just stands aside and watches a far worse power move into the region to wreck havoc, as if to say, "Did I do that?"
  14. 10 Mar '15 12:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    That's just it.

If Obama had an "R" by his name all we would hear about is how the rich kept getting richer, the poor kept getting poorer, and how corporate America increased their strangle hold on us all by taking over Obamacare and setting our mandatory tax rates.

But since he has a "D" by his name, all you hear about is how gas prices have come down ...[text shortened]... nd watches a far worse power move into the region to wreck havoc, as if to say, "Did I do that?"
    non-ignorant people know perfectly well how obama helps the rich.
  15. 10 Mar '15 12:59
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    25 year old "spoiled" kids with either crushing college debt and/or not yet experienced enough to be hired in a decent job.

do you think you are paying for many 25 year old stoners who won't get a job?

"other stuff"
    like preexistent conditions?
    Obama's only answer to college debt is to increase it by lowering interest rates, or to inflate the dollar away by having community college debt paid for by the tax payers.

Where is the demand to lower tuitions I wonder?