Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    19 Apr '13 19:43
    So...is it just me, or is it nuts that a search for a single guy can shut down an entire city? Let's be clear: he's a bad guy. But there's no nuclear, biological, or chemical threat (that we're aware of). Yes, there was a mass casualty situation, but we're not talking about thousands - we're talking about hundreds.

I'm not making light of the loss suffered by the victims of this abominable act. I'm sure we are all united in our concern for them. But my question is this: is it wise to inform compatriots of these two individuals that they can paralyze a major American city for days with two attackers? Duval Patrick has all but declared martial law, Obama may (by the reports of a continuing military presence) may have suspended posse comitatus and the Constitution, sporting events have been cancelled, and no one is going to work. Is this appropriate to catch one man?

Let's take some cities at random. NYC, Philadelphia, Miami, Houston, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Denver, St. Louis, New Orleans, Orlando. That's 12 cities. Is it okay that 24 guys with a well-planned attack, a few conventional bombs and a few guns, could more or less shut down this country?
  2. 19 Apr '13 19:58
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    So...is it just me, or is it nuts that a search for a single guy can shut down an entire city? Let's be clear: he's a bad guy. But there's no nuclear, biological, or chemical threat (that we're aware of). Yes, there was a mass casualty situation, but we're not talking about thousands - we're talking about hundreds.

I'm not making light of the l ...[text shortened]... k, a few conventional bombs and a few guns, could more or less shut down this country?
    I can understand what you (Sasquatch672) mean. Earlier I had attempted to
    write something about how the bombings of 7 July 2005 could not (and should not)
    shut down London and stop almost all Londoners from continuing their daily lives.
    So if I had written the post that you just did, I suspect that some writers here
    might like to insinuate or to accuse me of belittling the suffering of the innocent
    victims or even of condoning terrorism against civilians.

If terrorism aims to disrupt our normal lives, then in general it seems that we
    should fight back by continuing our normal lives as much as seems practicable.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    19 Apr '13 20:40

I'm not making light of the l ...[text shortened]... k, a few conventional bombs and a few guns, could more or less shut down this country?
    I agree. I think the shutting down of such a large area because one nut is on the loose is sheer lunacy.
  4. 19 Apr '13 21:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    I agree. I think the shutting down of such a large area because one nut is on the loose is sheer lunacy.
    It is really going to look foolish if they fail to find lil brother in that area. With everything wide open last night they turned up. If he manages to slip out now, he will really be hard to find. Of course the possibility is that he's already dead.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    19 Apr '13 21:19

I'm inclined to err on the side of caution here. This Boston lockdown won't go on much longer, and may well be the reason we get this guy alive, before he hurts someone else. It may seem like overkill, but I'd rather let law enforcement do their job as they see fit.
  6. 19 Apr '13 21:47

Ha. A rare seemingly logical comment by Sasquatch. Rudolph Giuliani just stated on MSNBC he thought the shut down of the entire city was appropriate and smart. Worth it to (1) protect the city population and (2) to cut off avenues of escape.
  7. 19 Apr '13 22:10
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Ha. A rare seemingly logical comment by Sasquatch. Rudolph Giuliani just stated on MSNBC he thought the shut down of the entire city was appropriate and smart. Worth it to (1) protect the city population and (2) to cut off avenues of escape.
    And if it doesn't?
  8. 19 Apr '13 22:20 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    And if it doesn't?
    Do you agree with Rudy?
  9. 19 Apr '13 22:42
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Do you agree with Rudy?
    I think it was overkill. If "lil brother got out last night it was a total waste. If he's dead its a total waste. If he is still in the perimeter, you could have left everything other side of the Charles open, and everything just closed down a couple of suburbs adjacent.

I don't know what would happen if they shut down that big an area around me. I woke up this morning, got dressed and headed for the restaurant for breakfast. I get stopped by gun toting SWAT goons, and brought home where there isn't any food?

I've heard of escapes by a half dozen murderous thugs from prisons and entire cities weren't shut down.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    19 Apr '13 23:44
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Earlier I had attempted to write something about how the bombings of 7 July 2005 could not (and should not) shut down London and stop almost all Londoners from continuing their daily lives. So if I had written the post that you just did, I suspect that some writers here might like to insinuate or to accuse me of belittling the suffering of the innocent victims or even of condoning terrorism against civilians..

You were criticized on that other thread because you were talking about how the 53 people murdered were statistically insignificant.
  11. 20 Apr '13 01:18

Martial law excercise.
  12. 20 Apr '13 01:39
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Martial law excercise.
    You betcha.
  13. 20 Apr '13 02:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    Even if he was reportedly strapped with a bomb?
  14. 20 Apr '13 02:11
    Screw with US ?
    We will kill you in your sleep on Christmas.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1152&bih=618&q=we+will+kill+you+in+your+sleep+on+christmas&oq=we+will+kill+yo&gs_l=img.1.2.0l3j0i5l3j0i24l4.2396.5810.0.8808.15.12.0.3.3.0.118.1065.9j3.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.9.img.zW22TJc9Fwc#imgrc=6SfM0OqOwpIM6M%3A%3BNoDCSMETEpMmSM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg2.moonbuggy.org%252Fimgstore%252Fwe-will-kill-you-in-your-sleep-on-christmas.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg.moonbuggy.org%252Fwe-will-kill-you-in-your-sleep-on-christmas%252F%3B800%3B600
  15. 20 Apr '13 02:24
    Everyone is in agreement? Never!!

So let's say you are on the run. Would it be easier or harder if the entire city was shut down? The nabbed him, didn't they?

As for the severity of the crime, that has nothing to do with anything. What they are really after are possible connections with the knowledge that this may be the start of a new terrorist uprising in the US. Don't buy the talk about them being lone bombers.