Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 26 Dec '12 22:39
    http://www.wnd.com/2012/12/own-a-gun-we-know-where-you-live/

Is this good or bad?
  2. 26 Dec '12 22:48
    I don't really see the point of having a public gun license registry. In fact it might be counterproductive; criminals can easily see who does not own a (legal) firearm.
  3. 26 Dec '12 23:09
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't really see the point of having a public gun license registry. In fact it might be counterproductive; criminals can easily see who does not own a (legal) firearm.
    Yes, and they also could become informed as to where to steal a firearm.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    26 Dec '12 23:11 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yeah, it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, criminals have an idea of who's are armed and who's not (though not all gun owners have legally registered weapons, much like many criminals).

On the other hand, police can get a warrant any house that owns a gun matching the slugs from a crime scene, in the surrounding area. With catching criminals being that much easier, I think this fact alone would deter some gun owners from trying to commit crimes.
  5. Standard member Soothfast
    26 Dec '12 23:27
    Originally posted by normbenign

Is this good or bad?
    It's a bad move.
  6. 26 Dec '12 23:32
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    It's a bad move.
    Sheriff Joe Biden is coming to take you in.
  7. Standard member Soothfast
    27 Dec '12 06:01
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Sheriff Joe Biden is coming to take you in.
    Technically I have a rifle. But it's at my grandfather's place in California.
  8. Subscriber SmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    27 Dec '12 06:05
    Originally posted by normbenign

Is this good or bad?
    Silly wabbit
  9. 27 Dec '12 06:41
    Okay, for the record, there is no central firearms "registry." At least not on a federal level. So "legally registered" guns is a misnomer. My firearms are legal, and they aren't "registered" with anyone.
  10. 27 Dec '12 06:55
    Originally posted by vivify
    Yeah, it's a double-edged sword. On the one hand, criminals have an idea of who's are armed and who's not (though not all gun owners have legally registered weapons, much like many criminals).

On the other hand, police can get a warrant any house that owns a gun matching the slugs from a crime scene, in the surrounding area. With catching criminals bei ...[text shortened]... uch easier, I think this fact alone would deter some gun owners from trying to commit crimes.
    I don't have any issue with a gun license record being accessible by the police, I just don't see why it should be open to the public.
  11. 27 Dec '12 07:07
    But to answer the question, it's a pointless move. Let's say someone in my city is shot with X type of firearm, and I own one. So what? There are probably three dozen firearms chambered to that cartridge ON MY STREET let alone in the city. Are they going to interrogate all of us? Ridiculous!
  12. 27 Dec '12 07:56
    Originally posted by shiloh
    But to answer the question, it's a pointless move. Let's say someone in my city is shot with X type of firearm, and I own one. So what? There are probably three dozen firearms chambered to that cartridge ON MY STREET let alone in the city. Are they going to interrogate all of us? Ridiculous!
    I think as a parent of children it might be useful to know which of their friends have guns in the house, also how can gun ownership be a deterrent to house breakers if nobody knows you have one.
  13. 27 Dec '12 09:57
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I think as a parent of children it might be useful to know which of their friends have guns in the house, also how can gun ownership be a deterrent to house breakers if nobody knows you have one.
    If you want that info of your friends, I think you are entitled to ask them. As to deterrence, it is an effective deterrence when house-breakers are regularly shot, IMHO.
  14. 27 Dec '12 10:13
    Originally posted by shiloh
    If you want that info of your friends, I think you are entitled to ask them. As to deterrence, it is an effective deterrence when house-breakers are regularly shot, IMHO.
    "If you want that info of your friends, I think you are entitled to ask them."

I was referring to children's potential friends, I think my right to know if there are guns in the house they may be playing, or, staying in should not be hostage to the willingness of other parents to disclose the information.

"As to deterrence, it is an effective deterrence when house-breakers are regularly shot, IMHO.

I think most gun owners would rather avoid the 'dead criminal in the children's bedroom' scenario.
  15. 27 Dec '12 10:41
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    "[b]If you want that info of your friends, I think you are entitled to ask them."

I was referring to children's potential friends, I think my right to know if there are guns in the house they may be playing, or, staying in should not be hostage to the willingness of other parents to disclose the information.

"As to deterrence, it is an effectiv ...[text shortened]... ost gun owners would rather avoid the 'dead criminal in the children's bedroom' scenario.
    Oy vey. Your rhetoric doesn't wash. Are you entitled to know if your neighbors have condoms? What about a first aid kit? And implying that a gun owner wants to shoot someone is equivalent to saying you keep a fire extinguisher because you enjoy fighting house fires.