Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 14 Nov '11 04:15
    Has anyone read in the news lately about growing concerns that elements of the OWS have adopted an anti-semitic view? Just the other day in New York some cars were torched with swastikas marked around the site. Many seem to feel that the Jews hold the money and political power in Washington. In fact, who here agrees?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    14 Nov '11 04:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    Many seem to feel that the Jews hold the money and political power in Washington. In fact, who here agrees?
    There are some people [although it sometimes feels like the same person over and over again] who register here at RHP and start posting about Jews, before playing any chess, who might agree. Maybe your OP will attract them?
  3. 14 Nov '11 05:34
    Has anyone read in the news lately about growing concerns that elements of the OWS have adopted an anti-semitic view? Just the other day in New York some cars were torched with swastikas marked around the site. Many seem to feel that the Jews hold the money and political power in Washington. In fact, who here agrees?
    Israel Today observes:

A growing number of Israelis and foreign Jewish groups are expressing concern over the anti-Semitic flavor of some of the “Occupy Wall St.” economic protests in the US. . . .

In Los Angeles, California, protester Patricia McAllister, who identified herself as an employee of the Los Angeles Unified School District (we can only hope she is not an educator), had this to say:
    “I think that the Zionist Jews, who are running these big banks and our Federal Reserve, which is not run by the federal government… they need to be run out of this country.”

On the American Nazi Party website, leader Rocky Suhayda voiced support for “Occupy Wall St.” and asked, “Who hold the wealth and power in this country? The Judeo-Capitalists. Who is therefore the #1 enemy who makes this filth happen? The Judeo-Capitalists.”

One of [the] people reportedly responsible for organizing the “Occupy Wall St.” protests, Adbusters editor Kalle Lasn, has a history of perpetuating conspiracy theories that say the Jews control America’s foreign policies.

Back in New York, another protester insisted that “a small ethnic group constitutes almost all of the hedge fund managers and bankers on Wall St. They are all Jewish. There is a conspiracy in this country where Jews control the media, finances… They have pooled their money together in order to take control of America.”

This does not mean all or even most of the OWS protesters are anti-Semitic, but the prominent liberal leaders who have shown sympathy for their cause have failed to speak out, as have the other elements within the group.

Israel Today reports: “More than the few Occupy Wall St. anti-Semites themselves, it is the lack of a clear and firm repudiation of their hateful rhetoric by the mainstream American media and political leaders that has a growing number of Israelis and Jews on edge.”

You will recall that reports of alleged anti-black comments (never verified) from Tea Party groups brought howls from Democrats and the media. But not this time, when Jews are the object of the vilification (documented on film) and it’s the left who is protesting and engaging in behavior that would have earned the Tea Partyers condemnation had they engaged in the same conduct.

Where is the outrage?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/occupy-wall-street-does-anyone-care-about-the-anti-semitism/2011/03/29/gIQA43p8rL_blog.html
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    14 Nov '11 06:04
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Where is the outrage?
    Whodey's OP question is "Many seem to feel that the Jews hold the money and political power in Washington. In fact, who here agrees?"

What is your take on/response to this question?
  5. 14 Nov '11 06:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Whodey's OP question is "Many seem to feel that the Jews hold the money and political power in Washington. In fact, who here agrees?"

What is your take on/response to this question?
    My shameless cut and paste was in response to his first question in the OP,

Has anyone read in the news lately about growing concerns that elements of the OWS have adopted an anti-semitic view?

As far as the second question,

"Many seem to feel that the Jews hold the money and political power in Washington. In fact, who here agrees?"

Balderdash ! Utter rubbish. I have never understood anti-semitism. I can never follow the logic some people have concerning their hatred of Jews and blaming them for a myriad of the worlds problems.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    14 Nov '11 07:22
    Balderdash ! Utter rubbish. I have never understood anti-semitism. I can never follow the logic some people have concerning their hatred of Jews and blaming them for a myriad of the worlds problems.
    The internet can be an ugly place. I suppose we are fortunate that a relatively tiny amount of anti-semitism gets expressed on this forum, and when it does it seems almost always to be served up by a just-registered-and-about-to-be-banned "single issue" troll.
  7. 14 Nov '11 07:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    The internet can be an ugly place. I suppose we are fortunate that a relatively tiny amount of anti-semitism gets expressed on this forum, and when it does it seems almost always to be served up by a just-registered-and-about-to-be-banned "single issue" troll.
    I agree.
    And fortunately they are taken care of rather promptly.
    Someone should be along any time now with zero games history to confirm this. ( actually, I am wondering what is taking them so long)
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    14 Nov '11 07:39
    Someone should be along any time now with zero games history to confirm this. (actually, I am wondering what is taking them so long)
    Maybe they prefer to pile in when someone is arguing Israel's corner in geopolitics - or some such - rather than to respond to a rather transparently baiting OP like this one. But maybe a troll will be along to prove this wrong.
  9. 14 Nov '11 08:57
    Some Jews hold a lot of money and political power and some don't. Some gentiles hold money and power too and some don't.

Here is the thing. Jews are the wealthiest minority (on average) in the USA so they have more money and power than most races in this country. I can name certain Jewish people in powerful positions of government that are probably not good people, but that does not make me anti-semitic. Some people think it does though. The ADL seems to think criticizing Henry Kissinger is anti-semitism. It is not.

Some people think if you criticize the ADL that makes you anti-semitic. I guess only Jewish people have a right to be critical of the ADL without being labeled a racist. I don't like the Rothschild inbred family but it is not because they are Jewish or because they are inbred. I just think greed and evil are fixed characteristics in their gene pool because of the selection process. It has nothing to do with the fact they are Jewish. I am also critical of the Rockefellers. Does that mean I am anti-Scottish? No, it is because they are greedy and power drunk. Not liking a family does not imply a racial hate, but some people see it when there is none.

Not all Jews are in positions of political power, but it might be factual to say most of those positions are held by Jews. After all, they are the wealthiest minority in the USA. Making that observation does not make a person anti-semitic, but some might make a careless leap to that conclusion.

I condemn anti-semitism and will have no part of it. I do reserve the right to condemn any family I want without being accused of racism though. I also reserve the right to accuse the ADL of protecting criminals that happen to be Jewish. If I can do it to the Rockefellers why can't I do it to the Rothschild family? If I can condemn Hillary Clinton why not Henry Kissinger? They are both lousy people.

As far as the OWS goes, there could be paid operatives making it seem like there are anti-semites causing problems to cast the protesters as hate driven. It would not surprise me. Nothing hurts a movement more than that.
  10. 14 Nov '11 10:24 / 2 edits

Has anyone read in the news lately about growing concerns that elements of the OWS have adopted an anti-semitic view?

As far as the second question,

[quote]"Many seem to feel that the Jews hold the money and political power in Washington. In fact, who h ple have concerning their hatred of Jews and blaming them for a myriad of the worlds problems.

The OP consists primarily of carefully chosen weasel words whose purpose, judging from whodey's historical preoccupation with conspiracy theories and the defamation of progressives/liberals, seems to be to blow some perceived problem with the OWS protests completely out of proportion.
    Whodey seems to be trying to incriminate OWS through guilt by association, and in a particularly furtive way, I'd like to know what news outlets have been disseminating this idea of "growing concerns" about anti-semitism in the protests (I wouldn't be surprised to learn the inspiration behind this thread was something out of The Blaze).

Quoting a few people, from an article published by an Israel Today of all sources, simply fails to substiate the claim about "growing concerns", I think you'll find that if you look hard enough in any large audience you'll find some people who hold racist or anti-semitic views, and furthermore, the Israeli/Jewish media seems too eager to inflate the prevalence of anti-semitism in society, for their own purposes.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    14 Nov '11 13:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Some Jews hold a lot of money and political power and some don't. Some gentiles hold money and power too and some don't.

Here is the thing. Jews are the wealthiest minority (on average) in the USA so they have more money and power than most races in this country. I can name certain Jewish people in powerful positions of government that are probably no rotesters as hate driven. It would not surprise me. Nothing hurts a movement more than that.
    Nobody reasonable thinks it makes one an anti-Semite to name a powerful Jew who's a bad guy or to criticize the ADL. Heck, I don't like the ADL and I don't like Benjamin Netanyahu and few would call me an anti-Semite.

What can reasonably be construed as anti-Semitism is to cherry pick all of the Jews in power in a particular area that one is lambasting and ignore all the non-Jews in the same positions of power and/or to imply that the individual actions of "bad" Jews are somehow related to a greater Jewish characteristic or plan.

Relating the negative characteristics of an individual to others in the group merely by virtue of membership in the ethnic group is also a hallmark of discriminatory thought, regardless of the group being discussed.
  12. 14 Nov '11 15:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    Nobody reasonable thinks it makes one an anti-Semite to name a powerful Jew who's a bad guy or to criticize the ADL. Heck, I don't like the ADL and I don't like Benjamin Netanyahu and few would call me an anti-Semite.

What can reasonably be construed as anti-Semitism is to cherry pick all of the Jews in power in a particular area that one is lambasting and i ...[text shortened]... roup is also a hallmark of discriminatory thought, regardless of the group being discussed.
    I agree. There are lots of people in high positions of power that are not Jewish. One cannot be critical of the power structure without being critical of gentiles. Racism is just plain stupid.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    14 Nov '11 15:39
    The commemoration of the Night of Broken Glass was a few days ago. I wonder if there's a connection.
  14. 14 Nov '11 16:16
    I'm interested in what "news" source would make such grand oversimplifications to put the OWS protests in a bad light.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    14 Nov '11 18:24
    Just the other day in New York some cars were torched with swastikas marked around the site.
    I looked up this incident. There is no evidence of any connection to OWS. It's just the Nazi gangsters acting up on Kristallnacht's anniversary.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Burned-Cars-Swastikas-KKK-Midwood-Ocean-Parkway-Brooklyn-133694213.html